Air Compressor gurus help!!

mbreaux05

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I need some help on an air compressor issue. I'm new to them, so hopefully its a easy fix I just don't know about, or maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I have a 2HP, 5 GAL KOBALT air compressor, with 50ft 3/4 in hose. The tank has 2 gauges, 1 for tank PSI, and one to set fpr tool PSI. These is also 2 quick connects on the compressor, allowing for 2 tool use at the same time (i'd never use this feature). Here is my problem, I set the tool PSI gauge to 90 ( I have an 3/8 impact and ratchet that Im trying to use, that work at 90psi), but when I use the tool, the PSI drops down to 50, thus causing the tool to not work how it should. I raised the tool PSI gauge to 120, hoping when I would use it, it would drop to the standard 90. No matter what PSI I put the tool setting to, it drops to 50 if I use the tool.

I use this simply to work on my car, so I didn't need a huge compressor or anything. But when it drops to 50, it wont even break the lug nuts!!

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Sounds to me like the tool either has a regulator on it, or it requires more CFM's than your machine produces.

A long skinny hose could be the culprit too.

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
Does the compressor pretty much run non stop? 5 gal. is not very big for heavy tool usage.

97cobraconvert

Established Member
Ur compresser is too small to run air tools. 3/4" hose will increase your overall volume, but your tool uses that volume too quickly. 1/4" hose will increase your cfm, but it also lowers the overall volume. But either way you'll need a bigger compresser for air tools. We have a 20 gallon, and it struggles with some tools.

oldmodman

Established Member
Sounds to me like the tool either has a regulator on it, or it requires more CFM's than your machine produces.

This^

Ur compresser is too small to run air tools. 3/4" hose will increase your overall volume, but your tool uses that volume too quickly. 1/4" hose will increase your cfm, but it also lowers the overall volume. But either way you'll need a bigger compresser for air tools. We have a 20 gallon, and it struggles with some tools.

And this ^

Impact air tools take a huge volume of high pressure air. My friend's shop has 175 psi at the beginning of the hose and if you put a pressure gauge right at the tool while using it the pressure has dropped to 105 psi.
And he has 1 inch hard lines running all over his shop so that the rubber hose length never has to be more than 25 feet.
And the tool that takes the most pressure and volume is his blasting cabinet.

mbreaux05

Established Member
This is the compressor item #0476123 from lowes. Its all built into the unit, so I don't think I could not use the regulator.

I cant really say if the compressor continually runs, due to not being able to really use it. The tools don't work properly to use.

So getting the 1/4 hose won't solve my issue?
Seems like Ill need a much larger tank? Is it the HP thats more important, or tank size?

Thanks for the comments

mbreaux05

Established Member

I used a 3/4 in hose that was only about 3 ft long, to test if the hose length was the issue. Still dropped to 50psi

YJSONLY

Established Member
Need a bigger compressor for air tools. A 5 gal is made for airing up a tire and a nail gun not a impact.

jcthorne

Established Member
Your problem is the built in regulator can not flow enough air to power the tool. Either get rid of the regulator or get a different compressor. With patience, 2hp and 5 gal should be sufficient to power an impact long enough to remove tires. The compressor in our motorhome is only a 2 gallon tank and 1.5 HP and has no trouble removing lugs on 19.5 truck wheels when used with an IR half inch impact. Using a 3/4" hose and no regulator.

If the regulator on the compressor you have is not removable, get a different compressor that is designed for air tools, not a nail gun.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Your problem is the built in regulator can not flow enough air to power the tool. Either get rid of the regulator or get a different compressor. With patience, 2hp and 5 gal should be sufficient to power an impact long enough to remove tires. The compressor in our motorhome is only a 2 gallon tank and 1.5 HP and has no trouble removing lugs on 19.5 truck wheels when used with an IR half inch impact. Using a 3/4" hose and no regulator.

If the regulator on the compressor you have is not removable, get a different compressor that is designed for air tools, not a nail gun.

Yea but how big of compressor is on the motor home (cfm at X psi). I don't think that a cheap 5 gal compressor will give you the 90psi and X cfm needed.

jbs$

Established Member
You need bigger everything, bigger motor, bigger tank and bigger hose. Are you running on 120 or 220 volts, you need to be on 220.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Screw the compressor. I've been trying to figure out a compressor to buy for garage use for a couple of years now, but I've decided screw it, I'm going to buy this instead:

W7150 | 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench | Ingersoll Rand

Thumbs up to a pic in the "What I got for x-mas" thread for alerting me to the fact that this beast exist. I already have a nice 12v smaller Dewalt 3/8 impact, so I should be all set with the two.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Screw the compressor. I've been trying to figure out a compressor to buy for garage use for a couple of years now, but I've decided screw it, I'm going to buy this instead:

W7150 | 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench | Ingersoll Rand

Thumbs up to a pic in the "What I got for x-mas" thread for alerting me to the fact that this beast exist. I already have a nice 12v smaller Dewalt 3/8 impact, so I should be all set with the two.

$500+ for a cordless impact?
No thanks, My 30gal compressor was a little more than half that.
I can sand, grind, impact, air rachet, etc.....all day

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
$500+ for a cordless impact?
No thanks, My 30gal compressor was a little more than half that.
I can sand, grind, impact, air rachet, etc.....all day

$400 street price on Amazon. By the time you buy a quality compressor that can support an impact and a nice IR gun, you are at the same price, possibly more. I can see the argument both ways, but I'm a sucker for cordless tools, so...

wht93gted

Established Member
pretty much what everyone says. I have a 6gal pancake compressor but it really only runs my nail guns.

I picked up an old craftsman 30gal compressor off craigslist, with a handful of impact tools, for $200. It was made in 1989, 220v, 2 piston, oiled pump. The thing is a beast. It's 30 gal, and will fill from empty to 145psi in about 5 min. It kicks back on @ 120, I think, and recovers to 145 in ~28 seconds (I timed it).

If I had a business, and relied on it, I'd go new. But for home use, get a quality used one vs. cheap new one.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
A cordless impact is the way to go. But get the new ones with the lithium batteries. I hardly use my compressor anymore. It's way worth it, especially at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread