Air bubble under paint??

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Well in only a matter of less than 2 months the once immaculate paint on my drivers side door has well... self destructed. It started off as a small little air bubble but it just grew and grew to the point where today it finally cracked the paint. How in the hell does something like this happen? Its not being caused by moisture or rust. It is just shocking how quick it happened, it was not a slow process at all like I said I first noticed it only 2 months ago. I'm pissed now, this is not what I need financially right now.

Sorry I don't have any pics as I'm at school without a digital cameral but it happened at the top of the door right where door contours up before it meets the window.

Has anything like this happened to anyone before?

Paul

usa97svtcobra

1997 svt cobra
Established Member
Was the car repainted? It sounds that way and the pre-prep of the body was not done correctly. Check to see if the VIN number is under the door and if so, does it match the vehicle. I highly doubt this is original paint.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
usa97svtcobra said:
Was the car repainted? It sounds that way and the pre-prep of the body was not done correctly. Check to see if the VIN number is under the door and if so, does it match the vehicle. I highly doubt this is original paint.

The paint matches the VIN as I checked that a while ago. I know for a fact that the front bumper was repainted to fix rock chips before I bought it but I did not think that the car had been repainted.

This car is starting to puzzle me. It does sound like bad prep on a repaint but I bought the car with only 38k on the clock and it had a clean history. Thats why I didn't immediately assume that.

Paul

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a large(6inch) bubble on my Saleen front bumper on my old 97 Gt. it was due to poor prep work at the body shop. You bet your ass they fixed it for nuthin'!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a large(6inch) bubble on my Saleen front bumper on my old 97 Gt. it was due to poor prep work at the body shop. You bet your ass they fixed it for nuthin'!

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Just had the same thing happen to my trunk lid. I don't think it was repainted. I think that a poor paint job from Ford and years of sitting outside is what has caused it.

Last edited:

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Ahhhh! i thaught my car was the only one... I believe Ford had a major issue with paint adhesion on SN95s, ESPICIALLY white... my paint peeled off my quarters and deck lid, and i know for a fact it was original paint...
My car is actually coming out of paint on sunday, yay!

duane v

Established Member
grandestang said:
Has anything like this happened to anyone before?

Paul
Yepp:( ....The paint on the roof of my stang is peeling noticeably.....and again for the 5th time, the paint on the front bumper is starting to crack....

After FFF, it's going back to stangwerks again...maybe:( , and I'm gonna make sure they pull the funking front bumper cover off and re-prep and re-paint it this time...All they've been doing is touching up the front bumper-cover and re-brushing clear over the touch up:cuss: ....straight up wet-back if you ask me:rollseyes .......Or I'm just gonna fork some more money and have a more reputeable paint shop re-do the front bumper, and re-paint the roof....Hopefully Ed from stangwerks will be at knotts to see the wondeful mess my $5000 paint job is becoming:( ....live and learn.....DA snake boy!!!!

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
D2Fresh16 said:
Ahhhh! i thaught my car was the only one... I believe Ford had a major issue with paint adhesion on SN95s, ESPICIALLY white... my paint peeled off my quarters and deck lid, and i know for a fact it was original paint...
My car is actually coming out of paint on sunday, yay!

How much? If you don't mind my asking.

Did they strip it and re-primer it?

Users who are viewing this thread