Ahhhhh!!!!!

a64armt

Established Member
I am so frustrated!

Here is the situation. Several months ago, when I returned from Iraq, my wife commented on a coolant leak with our SVTF. I inspected and the coolant was leaking from the thermostat housing. The vehicle is covered under an extended warranty. I called the dealership I bought the vehicle at, and of course they tell me that it may NOT be covered. So I take the time to check the hoses, and remove the thermostat housing to inspect. I find the thermostat housing, being plastic, has a broken lip where the o-ring gasket sits. I reassemble and take the vehicle to the dealership. They "find" the leak and order the housing. A few days later they return the vehicle and it was covered under warranty. A few days later I find the vehicle leaking again. I return to the dealership. They keep the vehicle and claim a faulty clamp in the housing is the fault. They replace the clamp (no charge) and return the vehicle. A week or so later, I find a puddle of coolant again! I am driving to the dealer and the clutch pedal cover comes off while driving. I pick it up to find it is covered in hydraulic fluid! The clutch master cylinder is leaking! The dealer tells me the clutch (under a technicality) is not covered under the warranty, it will cost $280. They claim good news and say they found the source of the coolant leak, a plug in the thermostat housing, they act as if they are doing me a favor when they DON"T CHARGE ME for this! Of course they have to order the master cylinder. I pick up the car a couple of days later, when I do, I notice the clutch making a popping sound when the pedal is near the floor. I comment on it, and the the "service advisor" tells me it is normal and it will "work its way in". I take the vehicle and when I get to work, I CANNOT START THE VEHICLE! The lights work, but the vehicle acts as if the clutch pedal is not depressed. I call the dealership, they offer to pay for a wrecker, after the vehicle is brought it and I have to arrange for it! I manage to get the vehicle push started and return. The service advisor gets in the car and IT STARTS RIGHT UP!. After a few tries, he learns the problem is intermintant. He takes the vehicle to the back and returns a few minutes later, telling me they cannot find anything wrong. I know what is wrong, but he won't listen. He reminds me I have to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to start the car. Hello, I have owned the car for 68,XXX miles, I think I know that! He tells me to take the vehicle and it will "work itself in". I get in the car, right in front of his office, and IT WON"T START! I try for 3 minutes. He comes out and climbs in and it starts right up. He eventually takes the vehicle and calls me the next day, they have "found" the problem and adjusted the switch on the pedal. Monday morning, my wife and I pick up the car, and the clutch no longer pops and it feels ok, big surprise is, that IT STARTS!. My wife drives the car home.

Today I drive the car to work and THE CRUISE CONTROL DOESN"T WORK! I check to see if the car will start without the clutch pedal pressed and it will not. I call the dealership again and they tell me the area they worked in was not related to the cruise control, but I can bring it in and they will check it. The cruise worked fine before they worked on it.

Do I trust these yayhoos? HELL NO! All this comes after several similar incidents with this dealership on this vehicle and my Expedition. They leave parts off the car, I find them in the trunk. This time they left the plastic cover/shroud for the thermostat housing off after each of the trips except for the last return, I told them every time it needed to be reinstalled. They even left the clutch pedal cover off!

I think I will inspect the vehicle for obvious problems with the cruise, but I am looking for pointers on what they may have disconnected during the clutch master cylinder replacement.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the attitude, but this comes right after some idiot backed into my car in a parking lot a month ago, hard enough to bend the passenger tie rod end. It cost her $590 to fix, and I say the car doesn't feel right still!

Help!

Daeron

Established Member
There is a sensor on the clutch pedal for the cruise control (when you hit the clutch, it turns off the cruise control) that they probably did something to. There are 2 sensors on the clutch, and they probably over adjusted one.

On a side note, contact Wayne at www.hypillauto.com...he's in GA and would be glad to give you a recommendation for a good dealership to get your car fixed at :) He also has a bunch of toys for our cars......

a64armt

Established Member
Thanks for the advice and quick reply. I was hoping there were two switches on the clutch and it would be something simple like that.

I saw nothng else obvious (fuse, connectors, etc) that would cause the problem, so your diagnosis is probably right on.

The sad fact is that I usually complete most maintenance and repairs myself. Automobile maintenance is not that difficult (supposed be). This instance was different. The vehicle is supposed to be under warranty and the timing was not good. I had a black tie awards ceremony in Dallas TX my wife and I had to fly to Friday, so the cost of $280 for the repair was very reasonable, but I am paying for it now though.

Thanks again for the advice.

Vincent

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
I never go to the dealership. I worked at one and let me tell you, the work they did was half-ass AT BEST! Worst of all they knew they sucked and didn't care. I always recommend finding a good mechanic, one that you can trust (tough, I know) and stick with 'em. I found a guy that does OEM brake jobs for half the price the dealership quoted, his services are good, too. Sorry about the trouble, that sucks.

a64armt

Established Member
Car is fixed (for now)

Well, after examining the switches and finding nothing out of sorts, I took the car back to the dealer. Of course I got the "this may not be related to the previous repair" line. I must have started twitching as I unloaded on the guy (service advisor). I was loud, but not obnoxious. Among other things, I told the service advisor the mechanics in the back should look for other work, since they are obvious failures at being auto mechanics. I made quite a scene and there were several on lookers. The advisor stated that I was "not very satisfied", I told him he was a genius and should design components for the Space Shuttle, but first, finish the job they started and finish it correctly. I asked him if it was the 7 return trips to the dealer for two simple problems that gave away my displeasure.

They called me a few hours later and said they adjusted a switch on the clutch pedal. The car seems to work fine. I was told that the service advisor was "gone for the day" when I picked up the car. I can only hope they fired that joke of a mechanic that had been working on my car.

Thanks again for the advice.

Vincent

6SpeedLover

Established Member
WOW, man sorry to hear about all the BS. I hope you can Finally enjoy your car now. BTW you have to look for a good Technician. (tough to find)

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

Users who are viewing this thread