Aftermarket Warranties? Yay or Nay?

850SNCobra

Established Member
For every 10 vehicles I sell, we sell 8 extended service contracts.

Same as home insurance, if you never use it, you're losing your ass, if you need it, you'll be happy you have it.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Yep I definitely got one for my other vehicle that I purchased earlier this year. Granted, it's only a Chevy Impala and it's generally easy to work on unless you have to do anything to the engine or trans. I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty for that one and have already put it to use once. This GT500 was supposed to be our "project" car anyway that we were going to build up.

PM-Performance

Established Member
While I do agree with you and I have owned 12 Mustangs I don't want to spend 45-50K on a low mileage used 13/14 GT500 without warranty coverage and be sorry.

Again its a Mustang. If you want a higher HP car, learn to work on them and fix them.
You are buying a basically bulletproof car anyway.
Its not like these are Euro cars where parts are super expensive and require specialty tools to diagnose and repair.
Id say instead of spending $1-3K or whatever these cost for potential no benefit, save the money for mods, or keep the same money on the side for repairs if needed, but Im positive you will find nothing warrantable will be needed in a VERY long time.

PM-Performance

Established Member
For every 10 vehicles I sell, we sell 8 extended service contracts.

Same as home insurance, if you never use it, you're losing your ass, if you need it, you'll be happy you have it.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk
Sure, for normal people that have no clue about cars and cannot change their own brakes, or maintain the car yea.
But for anyone getting into a GT500 and has owned MULTIPLE Mustangs, there is no reason you should not know how to work on cars and maintain them.
This is silly to me the guys that buy sports cars and want modded cars, but cannot be bothered to learn how to work on it them selves.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sure, for normal people that have no clue about cars and cannot change their own brakes, or maintain the car yea.
But for anyone getting into a GT500 and has owned MULTIPLE Mustangs, there is no reason you should not know how to work on cars and maintain them.
This is silly to me the guys that buy sports cars and want modded cars, but cannot be bothered to learn how to work on it them selves.

This is perhaps the most ignorant statement I've read on here, at least today anyways.

My time is worth more to me than working on my car. Sure, if I'm bored I will happily do the routine maintenance, install upgrades, etc...but my time is worth a lot more than the $50-125/hr that I would pay to have all of that done.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Update, checked with the local ford dealer. Our local Ford dealer does offer an Extended Service Plan that they'll let us use on our 08' GT500. It's better than that one offered from the Chevy dealer by a long shot and it'll cover the car for 60,000 miles.

Also will cover more than just the powertrain. Inspection fee is $125. Taking it in Saturday to get it inspected.

Thanks to @04MysticCobra for recommending I check with my local Ford dealer.

PM-Performance

Established Member
This is perhaps the most ignorant statement I've read on here, at least today anyways.

My time is worth more to me than working on my car. Sure, if I'm bored I will happily do the routine maintenance, install upgrades, etc...but my time is worth a lot more than the $50-125/hr that I would pay to have all of that done.

So you are saying a $1500-3k warranty on a car that may never break is wise to you to save some time, but you don't mind working on modding the car? Even though as soon as it breaks they will find every excuse to blame it on the mods?

PM-Performance

Established Member
Update, checked with the local ford dealer. Our local Ford dealer does offer an Extended Service Plan that they'll let us use on our 08' GT500. It's better than that one offered from the Chevy dealer by a long shot and it'll cover the car for 60,000 miles.

Also will cover more than just the powertrain. Inspection fee is $125. Taking it in Saturday to get it inspected.

Thanks to @04MysticCobra for recommending I check with my local Ford dealer.

How much does that cost from ford?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So you are saying a $1500-3k warranty on a car that may never break is wise to you to save some time, but you don't mind working on modding the car? Even though as soon as it breaks they will find every excuse to blame it on the mods?

1.) You're right, it very well might not ever break. But I would rather have it and not use it, than not have it and wished I had.
2.) I don't mind working on my car, or anyone's car if it just falls in the right time that the opportunity cost isn't too much for me.
3.) Sounds like a shitty extended service contract, or a lazy service writer.

Sorry you've had bad experiences.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For me it depends on the car. When we bought the wife's Mustang I passed as I knew if it broke I'd upgrade it anyway. I got it on my Expedition and more than made up for it when the power seat died and then it needed a new cam and followers on the passenger side. I currently have one on the wife's Audi just because if something does happen I don't want to try to learn to work on a German car.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
1000% worth it on a used car. I bought my car at Carmax and paid about $1500 for the extended warranty. So far its covered a failed clutch master cylinder, broken blend door servo motors, a failed drivers power seat track and the big one, a blown AC evaporator core.

$3000 in repairs covered by a $1500 extended warranty. It paid for itself and then some. i still have until March 2020 on it as well.

Im also a professional technician. Unless I have no other choice, I absolutely do not want to pull my dash or do work on it that isnt making the car faster/better etc.

Users who are viewing this thread