Aftermarket Stereo's

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Does anyone have any aftermarket stereo head units or components in their cars? I'm curious, my Challenger had a full Kicker system with the direct fit 10" sub, amps, and upgraded speakers. That was my first ever car with a system and I actually now understand the beauty of a good sounding stereo.

Let me see what you guys have.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
i have the 2012 base brembo car, so the stereo sucked balls. i put have mb quart 6.5 components in the doors. completely sealed the door with dynamat. running them off the front channel of an eclipse 4 channel amp. the rear channel is running a single 12 mounted on the right side of the trunk. amp is under the rear deck. using a pioneer 4300dvd double din headunit. sound is very crisp and clear and loud as you would ever want. i ride bmx so i needed to be able to get my bike in the trunk still, with the front wheel off of course.

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
^^^could you possibly post a pic of your headunit? i've been wanting to do something similar but i'm still unsure how it would look with an aftermarket installation kit. i've only come across one kit that i can remember and i believe it was a couple hundred bucks for it.

351inside

Established Member
How did you get the speakers in the doors??? The base doesnt come with fg oor subs

i have the 2012 base brembo car, so the stereo sucked balls. i put have mb quart 6.5 components in the doors. completely sealed the door with dynamat. running them off the front channel of an eclipse 4 channel amp. the rear channel is running a single 12 mounted on the right side of the trunk. amp is under the rear deck. using a pioneer 4300dvd double din headunit. sound is very crisp and clear and loud as you would ever want. i ride bmx so i needed to be able to get my bike in the trunk still, with the front wheel off of course.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
thats the dash kit i have, it is for cars that dont have digital temp control. it relocates the analog knobs to the digital controller which has a customizable screen(color,contrast,text). its awesome. about $200 but worth it. for the door speakers i made plates that mount a 6.5 out of masonite. just trace the factory speaker on masonite then cut it. now you have a plate that you can cut round holes in for whatever you want. i will eventually do another speaker down lower like the premium cars have. ill make a pod. but my blower is first

Last edited:

11dsgGT

Established Member
I put 6.5 Focal Polyglass Coaxials in the front and rear, powered by a Focal Solid 4.

The mid 8" were replaced with Focal Component IS200 and powered by an FP2.150. I stuck the tweeters on the a-pillar.

Installed one 12 for a sub and power it with a FP 1.800

Really thinking about buying a JBL MS8 to tune it :rockon:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I put 6.5 Focal Polyglass Coaxials in the front and rear, powered by a Focal Solid 4.

The mid 8" were replaced with Focal Component IS200 and powered by an FP2.150. I stuck the tweeters on the a-pillar.

Installed one 12 for a sub and power it with a FP 1.800

Really thinking about buying a JBL MS8 to tune it :rockon:

Sounds like a great setup man. Only thing I'd change is to get rid of the rear fill ;) The MS8 is a great unit.

11dsgGT

Established Member
Sounds like a great setup man. Only thing I'd change is to get rid of the rear fill ;) The MS8 is a great unit.

Thanks!

And OP, the only issue I had with my setup was retaining the sync volume/feedback. I purchased the NAV option, so that was the reason for me wanting to keep all of the stock functionality of sync, NAV, hard drive, and removable media. I bypassed the factory amps and ended up loosing all of the audio feedback through sync and NAV, so I set up a separate speaker with independent volume control, in order to keep the functionality, instead of going through all the wiring and integrating it into my new speakers.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
I just have the base GT, no Nav or Sync. Just curious if I was to hook up a small amp to the stock head unit if it would sound like garbage.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
I just have the base GT, no Nav or Sync. Just curious if I was to hook up a small amp to the stock head unit if it would sound like garbage.

yes it would. i did that at first. used a very nice line convertor that restores signal and boosts line voltage but still just wasnt right. ditch that crap and go aftermarket youll be glad you did

aquill1

Established Member
ASUSMC-I'm not 100% certain that this will work for you but it worked great for me. I used the pictured PAC OEM-1 interface (cost under $30) to hook up an aftermarket amp to my shaker500 system. I'm not sure whether it will work with your base equipment but I would assume that it would. From everything I've read my speakers are powered from the headunit just like yours so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

IMG_1514.jpg

In no way is it necessary to go aftermarket with a head unit just to get an amp hooked up, as long as this works with the base stereo. My sub works just fine without going aftermarket (although I eventually want to.)

11dsgGT

Established Member
Also, if you decide not to go aftermarket, look into getting a quality digital sound processor. It has all the functions of an aftermarket head unit and more, depending on how much you spend. Some of the higher end processors are made by JBL and AudioControl.

aquill1

Established Member

What exactly do you want out of the small amp? If you are just trying to get some bass out of it the sound processors wont be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread