Aftermarket Shifter

tapout632

Established Member
Do I have an aftermarket shifter on this '01 cobra? Here's a video of the short shifter it doesn't seem stock, I took the base off to try to look under the stick to see a brand but all I saw was this rubber circle. Also I think I might have 4.10 gears because when the speedometer says 100 MPH in reality I'm actually only going around 75MPH or so...so the speedo is off which makes me think I have a different gear ratio. Heres a video of each gears to see if you could recognize anything:

Shifter

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
ya, thats a AFTERMARKET shifter, might be a Steeda Tri-Ax,cause mine moves like that also. real stiff and short. or could be a pro 5.0. dunno

EVLSVT

Banned
I have a pro 5.0 short shifter on my car, and its definately like that. I am 101% positive that you dont have a stock shifter, the pro-5.0 clicks just like that, and the stock one is floppy and quiet... 5.0 or steeda for sure. Same w/ gears

Tomjh99

Established Member
I can't tell you which kind it is, but you can tell it's a short throw just by looking at how crunched up the shifter boot is. My shifter boot looks the exact same way with the Tri- Ax. Although your boot looks more crunched than mine so it may be the Pro 5.0. If the shifter handle is straight,with no bends then it's the pro 5.0. If it has three bends then it's gotta be the Steeda Tri-Ax.

Wickky

Established Member
take the boot cover off and look at it so ull know for sure... the triax says "triax" on it and i dont know what the pro50 says

tapout632

Established Member
Alright I lifted up the base and kinda looked under the scrunched up material and it does say "Tri Ax" on the steel shifter. Thanks for the info. This is a great shifter.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
i used to think so too. that is until i got my mgw. the mgw puts the others to shame.

Very true i have had triax's, pro 5.0's, and none of them have felt like the MGW feels.

Tomjh99

Established Member
Damn you guys are making me wanna get the MGW now, I am very dissatisfied with the tri-Ax, I can never get second gear under hard acceleration. It just doesn' fall into gear like the stock shifter did. It's a shorter throw but does not fall into gear like I thought it should.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
The MGW looks nice (actually everything they make is nice), but I can't see replacing my 5.0 when it gets the job done so nicely. Maybe if I feel the MGW I'll change my mind? What makes it so much better?

Users who are viewing this thread