aftermarket shifter question

DOHCscreamer

Established Member
i've never bought an aftermarket shifter. i realize they shorten the throws and help prevent damaged shift forks. but do they actually smooth shifting? that is, do they help get rid of the notchiness and resistance you feel while shifting (especially going into 1st or 2nd)?

i'm considering an mgw because they seem to be the best.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
i've never bought an aftermarket shifter. i realize they shorten the throws and help prevent damaged shift forks. but do they actually smooth shifting? that is, do they help get rid of the notchiness and resistance you feel while shifting (especially going into 1st or 2nd)?

i'm considering an mgw because they seem to be the best.

Its a great shifter. With all the drag racing that I do I don't think that my tranny would have lasted this long. That is without my MGW shifter, and how much I hear everyone complain about their trannys breaking. It did smooth out my shifting as well. The resistance is still there with my shifter though. Oh well, good luck.:banana:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, they smooth out the gears.

There is no reason NOT to upgrade your shifter.
I love my Pro 5.0 When I bought mine, MGWs weren't available yet.

DOHCscreamer

Established Member
Yes, they smooth out the gears.

There is no reason NOT to upgrade your shifter.
I love my Pro 5.0 When I bought mine, MGWs weren't available yet.

$200 is a reason not to upgrade it. i don't shift hard but i hate how the mustang transmissions always have a lot of resistance shifting into first or second. if they actually smooth this shifting by lessening the resistance, rather than just shortening the throw, then i'll buy one. but i don't care about how they help save shift forks since im not hard on the tranny and i don't care about shotening the throw.

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
I have the mgw, and highly recomend it. I have had the steeda and 5.0 but like the mgw the most.

uofipilot

Established Member
I just recently bought an mgw. It's way better than stock, but I wouldn't really say that it "smoothes" the shifting. That's really more of a function of the trans than the shifter. I would also suggest getting the gasket kit that is sold somewhere on this site. I didn't and the tranny whine that comes up through the mgw is rediculous.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Had the Pro 5.0 in my 96.. loved it. The 98 came with an MGW... after driving it for a week then getting back in my 96, I hated the 96's Pro 5.0

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Bro can someone still get a short throw shifter even though his syncros might be going bad, his tranny only grinds sometimes in reverse and in wot shifts from 1st to 2nd.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I have a t56, so it might be slightly different; but I have a Pro 5.0 shifter with a tri-ax handle and love it.

Venom351R

Established Member
Ive had the steeda tri ax ( great shifter) and I have a Pro 5.0 now but I sitll want to try out the MGW. I like how the handle can rotate towards you so your not reaching for the shifter.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Anyone have any experience with the Hurst SST shifter? I'm trying to decide between that one and the MGW. I'm kinda leaning toward the Hurst.

DOHCscreamer

Established Member
I just recently bought an mgw. It's way better than stock, but I wouldn't really say that it "smoothes" the shifting. That's really more of a function of the trans than the shifter. I would also suggest getting the gasket kit that is sold somewhere on this site. I didn't and the tranny whine that comes up through the mgw is rediculous.

thanks for the help guys. i think ill try one out. where is this gasket kit i didn't see it on this site? are you talking about the rubber boot that mgw sells that goes under your normal boot?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
MGW for the win..takes about 500 miles to break it in...smoother than before for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread