Aftermarket Radiator?

SlowImport

Established Member
Is anyone running one of these? I find that my 03 puts off a good amount of heat. Do you guys think an aftermarket radiator would help this?

just a thought,
Josh

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
its still going to throw off a lot of heat regardless of what size radiator you have. with the factory cooling system setup, nearly half the coolant bypasses the radiator. note how the thermostat bypass hose is almost as large as the radiator hose.

a bigger radiator, while a good start to keeping the car cooler, wont by itself do anything to your engine temps except maybe help them come back down sooner once they rise.

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
ShelbyGuy,
Is that what the Evans cooling mods fix, the bypass problem?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
well, its part of it. one part is the evans thermostat (for street cars - racecars dont need a thermostat) the other part is ditching the oil to water oil cooler and going with an external oil cooler. the oil does more work to cool the engine than the coolant does and with the factory setup it ends up heating the coolant instead of the coolant cooling the oil.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
well, its part of it. one part is the evans thermostat (for street cars - racecars dont need a thermostat) the other part is ditching the oil to water oil cooler and going with an external oil cooler. the oil does more work to cool the engine than the coolant does and with the factory setup it ends up heating the coolant instead of the coolant cooling the oil.
So an external oil cooler is the best cooling mod you can do?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
newbreed77 said:
So an external oil cooler is the best cooling mod you can do?
Its kind of an all or nothing deal. On the stock cobra, where the oil filter attaches to the block is also where the coolant inlet it so the coolant and oil are moving through the same peice and transfering heat to each other or as shelbyguy said the oil is heating tthe coolant at that spot.

Evans created a new coolant inlet flange that has a smaller bypass hose and gets rid of the oil filter fitting all together. What that means is you will not only need to run lines to an external oil cooler (or an in radiator cooler which I think evans has now released) as well as a remote mounted oil filter adapter, which is not a bad idea anyways. Im running the canton billit peice and it uses the larger motorcraft FL1A filters so the added filter capacity is a nice bonus.

eebj01

Established Member
oil filter adapter

Do you know the part number of the adapter? There needs to be a plate to block off coolant flow. Where can I get one of those? Thanks, Ed

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
eebj01 said:
Do you know the part number of the adapter? There needs to be a plate to block off coolant flow. Where can I get one of those? Thanks, Ed
Im not sure I follow you Ed. You dont block off coolant flow you replace the stock oil filter adapter with one that seperates the coolant inlet from the oil passages.

Here is a thread I made some time ago with pics etc.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/reference-forum/keeping-your-cool-evans-upgrades-28635.html

Call Evans, they will know exactly what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread