Aftermarket Radiator with True Forged tanks

wckdvnm

Established Member
220 in desert heat is pretty normal, esp with the A/C on.

Except those temps will continue to rise when it’s over 110*. I always had some form of data reader on my car and I can tell you the three row radiators are good for 15-20* temp drops at idle in traffic and ran 186 with a/c on at over 120* while driving and this was before I addressed the fan sealing issue. Now I never see a high speed fan turn on unless I run the A/C. I don’t even run a 170 t-stat anymore (was in the car when I bought it) as I saw no noticeable difference between the 170 and 180 with outside temps over 110*. Granted each car is different but I saw no difference and decided to to keep the 180 and gave the 170 away to another cobra owner using a stock radiator.
I will concede that there are aftermarket three row radiators that are basically the same as a factory cobra radiator and some that are worse. That’s why I mentioned how the tanks are attached as some are cheap and will just epoxy the tanks on.
I’m definitely going to get more cooling data as I’m moving to AZ and will be not far from somewhere that regularly gets over 120* in the summer and I plan to test what’s needed to keep these cars cool in those temps as more and more cooling upgrades are coming out for the inter cooling system and I don’t see much in the way of information regarding the ron davis radiator besides “it’s amazing”.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Except those temps will continue to rise when it’s over 110*. I always had some form of data reader on my car and I can tell you the three row radiators are good for 15-20* temp drops at idle in traffic and ran 186 with a/c on at over 120* while driving and this was before I addressed the fan sealing issue. Now I never see a high speed fan turn on unless I run the A/C. I don’t even run a 170 t-stat anymore (was in the car when I bought it) as I saw no noticeable difference between the 170 and 180 with outside temps over 110*. Granted each car is different but I saw no difference and decided to to keep the 180 and gave the 170 away to another cobra owner using a stock radiator.
I will concede that there are aftermarket three row radiators that are basically the same as a factory cobra radiator and some that are worse. That’s why I mentioned how the tanks are attached as some are cheap and will just epoxy the tanks on.
I’m definitely going to get more cooling data as I’m moving to AZ and will be not far from somewhere that regularly gets over 120* in the summer and I plan to test what’s needed to keep these cars cool in those temps as more and more cooling upgrades are coming out for the inter cooling system and I don’t see much in the way of information regarding the ron davis radiator besides “it’s amazing”.

I've driven my car to the place you're talking about that gets over 120. I was actually there last weekend to take my boat out. And that's the kind of weather I want to set it up for. Although even Temecula and that area can get pretty hot in the summer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread