Aftermarket Intercooler?

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
I've seen a site that sells an extremely efficient intercooler for our cars. They're also featured in the new products section of either MM&FF or 5.0&SF, but I can't seem to remember their site for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, gentlemen :beer:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Waste of money. It provides no added cooling over the stocker. Only reason they made them was because the cost of a new one from ford is rediculous, only made to cut costs.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Waste of money. It provides no added cooling over the stocker. Only reason they made them was because the cost of a new one from ford is rediculous, only made to cut costs.

Ok, I called Stephen at VTS during lunch and we ended up talking for about 2 hours. We were both on the same level regarding his product, and not once did he try to sell it to me. I'm sure he would be glad to explain why his product works in great detail so much better than the stock piece. His unit was not designed as a stock replacement piece, although he says it's predecessor, the Griffin unit (which is not in production anymore), was. I received loads of information from him and he's a great guy to talk to, as long as you're not throwing out this garbage.

I'd like to see some REAL data on this to draw a conclusion.

I also asked him about this. I'm pretty sure I saw a comparison with his products versus the stock setup somewhere, but I can't remember where. He says that he's preparing a comparison currently, and that it will be available soon.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
Ok, I called Stephen at VTS during lunch and we ended up talking for about 2 hours. We were both on the same level regarding his product, and not once did he try to sell it to me. I'm sure he would be glad to explain why his product works in great detail so much better than the stock piece. His unit was not designed as a stock replacement piece, although he says it's predecessor, the Griffin unit (which is not in production anymore), was. I received loads of information from him and he's a great guy to talk to, as long as you're not throwing out this garbage.

I also asked him about this. I'm pretty sure I saw a comparison with his products versus the stock setup somewhere, but I can't remember where. He says that he's preparing a comparison currently, and that it will be available soon.
once again, its been proven it does nothing. Spend your money on a dual pass heat exchanger and call it a day. Plus its proven science that making something slightly bigger will do absolutely nothing if the ambient temperature is the same surrounding it.

Last edited:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
the longer the coolant remains in the H/E, the more heat that will be extracted due to the lower temperature of the ambient air flowing over it. This seems very straightforward to me. If it has been proven that it does nothing, would you mind posting a link to the data/test results? Once again, I will refer you to the engineer of the said product, and he will be glad to explain to you the science behind why his product works in his own words.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
the longer the coolant remains in the H/E, the more heat that will be extracted due to the lower temperature of the ambient air flowing over it. This seems very straightforward to me. If it has been proven that it does nothing, would you mind posting a link to the data/test results? Once again, I will refer you to the engineer of the said product, and he will be glad to explain to you the science behind why his product works in his own words.

i dont need someone who works for the company to tell me the science behind it. If you want to test your luck by all means do it, just a little friendly advise from someone who would rather see you spend your hard earned money on something useful like a dual pass heat exchanger.

Last edited:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
i dont need someone who works for the company to tell me the science behind it. If you want to test your luck by all means do it, just a little friendly advise from someone who would rather see you spend your hard earned money on something useful like a dual pass heat exchanger.

I totally agree that the heat exchanger is a HUGE part of the efficiency equation. The longer the coolant dwells in the H/E, the cooler it will become. Also, the more surface area you have to work with, the more coolant that can have its temperature reduced at any given time. Now to the intercooler, itself. Obviously, the length and width of any I/C that can be placed in our cars is predetermined by the opening of the intake manifold. The depth, however, is not. Having a larger surface area on the INSIDE of the intercooler, where your intake charge air will be traveling, will inherently have a greater efficiency than the stock unit. This seems irrefutable to me.

IceMan03

Established Member

once again, its been proven it does nothing. Spend your money on a dual pass heat exchanger and call it a day. Plus its proven science that making something slightly bigger will do absolutely nothing if the ambient temperature is the same surrounding it.

You have just contradicted everything you stated in your previous post about HE's. The VTS HE is a dual pass HE. And you also stated "It provides no added cooling over the stocker, and it has been proven that it does nothing" please post the link to that info please, I would like to see that for myself as well as many other's on here.

Many people have the mentality that by adding and aftermarket HE and IC they think that they are going to gain all kinds of power......well there will be some gained but not a whole lot. Stop and think a min about what the biggest problem is with ANY PD blower like the Eaton, Whipple, KD, MagnaCharger, TechnoCharger and so on, it is always HEAT SOAK! Once the blower becomes "Heat Soaked" power fades away until the car is turned off and cooled down. VTS's IC and HE's cure this problem and was designed and built to fix this problem.

The combo's who will greatly benefit from VTS's HE and IC's will be Eaton's that are pullied for 15-18lbs of boost, Whipple's and KB's pullied for 14-26+lbs of boost.

The people who will benfit from this are Road Racers, Auto Crosser's, Mildly and Full Bolt on daily driven Cobra's.

Drag Racer's-This really comes down to the owner, some prefer no IC, no HE and use Meth/Water injection. Some prefer to run straight water in the IC system. Some use the Killer Chiller. Some have an aftermarket IC tank and fill it with ice and some use "custom cooling blends/additives". Everyone has there preferance.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
you have just contradicted everything you stated in your previous post about he's. The vts he is a dual pass he. And you also stated "it provides no added cooling over the stocker, and it has been proven that it does nothing" please post the link to that info please, i would like to see that for myself as well as many other's on here.

Many people have the mentality that by adding and aftermarket he and ic they think that they are going to gain all kinds of power......well there will be some gained but not a whole lot. Stop and think a min about what the biggest problem is with any pd blower like the eaton, whipple, kd, magnacharger, technocharger and so on, it is always heat soak! Once the blower becomes "heat soaked" power fades away until the car is turned off and cooled down. Vts's ic and he's cure this problem and was designed and built to fix this problem.

The combo's who will greatly benefit from vts's he and ic's will be eaton's that are pullied for 15-18lbs of boost, whipple's and kb's pullied for 14-26+lbs of boost.

The people who will benfit from this are road racers, auto crosser's, mildly and full bolt on daily driven cobra's.

Drag racer's-this really comes down to the owner, some prefer no ic, no he and use meth/water injection. Some prefer to run straight water in the ic system. Some use the killer chiller. Some have an aftermarket ic tank and fill it with ice and some use "custom cooling blends/additives". Everyone has there preferance.

+1

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
You have just contradicted everything you stated in your previous post about HE's. The VTS HE is a dual pass HE. And you also stated "It provides no added cooling over the stocker, and it has been proven that it does nothing" please post the link to that info please, I would like to see that for myself as well as many other's on here.

Many people have the mentality that by adding and aftermarket HE and IC they think that they are going to gain all kinds of power......well there will be some gained but not a whole lot. Stop and think a min about what the biggest problem is with ANY PD blower like the Eaton, Whipple, KD, MagnaCharger, TechnoCharger and so on, it is always HEAT SOAK! Once the blower becomes "Heat Soaked" power fades away until the car is turned off and cooled down. VTS's IC and HE's cure this problem and was designed and built to fix this problem.

The combo's who will greatly benefit from VTS's HE and IC's will be Eaton's that are pullied for 15-18lbs of boost, Whipple's and KB's pullied for 14-26+lbs of boost.

The people who will benfit from this are Road Racers, Auto Crosser's, Mildly and Full Bolt on daily driven Cobra's.

Drag Racer's-This really comes down to the owner, some prefer no IC, no HE and use Meth/Water injection. Some prefer to run straight water in the IC system. Some use the Killer Chiller. Some have an aftermarket IC tank and fill it with ice and some use "custom cooling blends/additives". Everyone has there preferance.
not once did i contradict myself. Im talking about the intercooler under the blower, no where in my post did i say anything about a DPHE being a waste. I said earlier there have been no claims to support that this mod does any significant cooling, otherwise everyone on here would have done it by now.

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member

You're contradicting yourself.

Box the area below the stock H/E - cheap and a very effective way to reduce the temperature of your intercooler coolant.

SeankySnake

Established Member
You're contradicting yourself.

Box the area below the stock H/E - cheap and a very effective way to reduce the temperature of your intercooler coolant.
Correct and it works.

404... not found, clicking on SVT Cobra from the main site goes to 404 as well.

Oh well.

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday and I call VTS, there site is under construction at this time. The site will be back up soon, I will be ordering a Stage 3 IC soon.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread