Aftermarket Idler Pulley - Not machined properly?

StangSupremacy

Established Member
Has anyone experienced pulley alignment issues with aftermarket pulleys? Here is the story:

I have a 4.0 whipple running 18 psi on my 08 GT500. I had been dealing with a lot of pulley issues and squeaks , like a whinning pig squeal since a couple of days after I got the car tuned. First night with the car tuned, the belt shredded 2 ribs. I ordered a Gates Green belt along with a Thumprrr tensioner and a 90 mm Division X idler from Lethal (to make up for the smaller pulley on the thumprr tensioner). That got rid of the belt shredding, but the squeal came back (usually would reduce as the car heated up, but lately it stays). I noticed the division x pulley was moving around too much and upon closer inspection realized it had too much play. I called Lethal and found out i had a "bad batch" and they sent me a revised dust shield that should fix the issue. The noise kept going, so for a while i thought that the ribbed idler was making the squeal and i went onto to replacing it with another ford pulley (since there is no aftermarket pulley). The squeal kept coming back even after replacing the ribbed idler twice. When i looked at the pulley alignment closer, i realized that the Division X 90mm idler had an offset that made it sit too close to the engine. The alignment is off by almost 1 rib width. I would think that the misalignment could definitely cause a squeal. Has anyone experienced issues with idler pulleys? Division X in particular? I have been fighting pulley issues since 4 months ago... I wish i could fit an auxilliary idler but the casing on the 4.0 whipple is too big :-(.

I cannot upload pictures because i am at work, can i email them to someone to post please? or else i have to wait until 8 to get home.

Users who are viewing this thread