Aftermarket HID Kits

danponjican

Established Member
Has anyone tried any of the ebay aftermarket HID kits for a 2011+ GT? They seem very reasonably priced but is the quality there. Is it worth it? Is anyone running a set of aftermarket HIDs? What brand / where did you get them?

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
i tried the 35W 8000k from DDMtuning and had some issues so i put my stock halogen bulbs back in. if i turned the lights on with the car off they would start right up but if i started my car and then turned them on they would both come on and then go out. after turning my lights off and back on again they would both come on and then the passenger side would go back out. finally around the 3rd or 4th try they would both come on. i made sure i had a good ground and that the power was coming directly from the battery. now with that being said, once i did get them working the output was great on low beams but then it just sucked with the high beams. i thought maybe i got the polarity reversed and tried to swap that which ended up with them not coming on at all. i hope you have better luck. i'm just going to do a retrofit eventually.

danponjican

Established Member
Yeah, I was just reading a bunch of posts on other forums and it seems like afyermarket HID kits are not worth the hassel.

Colt .45

Established Member
i tried the 35W 8000k from DDMtuning and had some issues so i put my stock halogen bulbs back in. if i turned the lights on with the car off they would start right up but if i started my car and then turned them on they would both come on and then go out. after turning my lights off and back on again they would both come on and then the passenger side would go back out. finally around the 3rd or 4th try they would both come on. i made sure i had a good ground and that the power was coming directly from the battery. now with that being said, once i did get them working the output was great on low beams but then it just sucked with the high beams. i thought maybe i got the polarity reversed and tried to swap that which ended up with them not coming on at all. i hope you have better luck. i'm just going to do a retrofit eventually.

Lifetime warranty. Send that shit back.

Lewis26

Established Member
HID's only belong behind a projector or a specifically designed reflector.

HID's do not belong in the stock headlight housings.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Retrofit!

YES! Thank you!

Don't waste your money on PNP (Plug-N-Play) HIDs. They give horrible light output, both pattern and luminosity, compared to a projector setup/retrofit setup.

Plus you won't be the jackass that blinds everyone with your misaligned headlights.

Tapatalkin' on the iPhone

AAG

Established Member
You spend $30k+ on a car and want to put a cheap hid kit in it? Do a retro or dont do it at all.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
its luck of the draw imo. My Cobra had "cheesy" ebay HID's that outlasted a few of my friends top end pricey HID kits that come in an fancy box.

But like everyone said, retrofit or put them behind a projector. There was too much scattered light in my Cobra compared to a car with a proper setup.

Phatcha13

Established Member
I got my hid kit from ddmtuning.com cheap easy install haven't had any problems, they ship from china so it will take a week or so to get your kit

Users who are viewing this thread