aftermarket heat exchangers

Bad Snake

Established Member
Thinking about getting the extreme motorsports heat-x with the fan kit. Whats the general opinion on them? Worth it or not worth it. Has anyone had any gains with one?

RedFire2003

Established Member
Hmm dunno bout those ones I just orderd the MotoBlue from RPMoutlet.com looks to be a nice H.E and doesnt require any modification to the car good luck!!!

JimBobWay

Established Member
I've got one on order at Xtreme. It should be here next week. I've seen it installed on the blue cobra there at Xtreme and boy did it look great!. Can't beat thier customer service either. Great guys.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I installed my Gords today. I got it with the fan mounts...but I will wait on the fans until I decide I need em. This HX adds alot of capacity, so I don't think the fans will be a priority just yet.

It installed VERY easily...two hours on ramps, no help.
It arrived in perfect condition (well packaged) and included all hardware and hoses. Gord provides the best service I have yet encountered on the net. :beer:

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Just a few points of interest re the competitive aftermarket Heat Exchanger units.

Effective Cooling Ratio

Basically this is what you buy a new heat exchanger for. Cooling effectiveness and the aesthetics!

The GordsFord HE unit has the largest frontal area and combined length(width)/depth/thickness of any aftermarket unit other than the large Fluidyne unit for the Lightning truck, which requires cutting the front bumper. The GordsFord has a core length ranging from 2 inches to 9.5 inches longer than any other aftermarket HE unit. The GordsFord design also has more open face for airflow vs the overall depth than the other designs.

When you examine the heat exchangers from an engineering point of view and calculate the effective cooling ratio's, the results are that the GordsFord unit has significantly more cooling capacity than the others:

VS Xtreme, GordsFord has 20% more capacity

VS Fluidyne 03 Cobra HE, the GordsFord has 30% more capacity

VS the AFCO the GordsFord has 33% more capacity ( also Motoblue, Johnny Lightning and Lightning Force which are made by AFCO)

VS the Fluidyne Lightning HE unit the two are basically equal.

Other considerations are:

- Protection Bar - The GordsFord unit retains the stock mounts and very importantly, the lower front steel L protection bar. The Xtreme unit does not.

- Fans - The GordsFord unit is available with fans pre-mounted, wired and has all the extra's required for a proper fan installation including the low amp/high amp fan relay and fusing, complete wiring harness, manual switch and possible manual or automatic operation with the intercooler pump, all the wiring connectors and all the small nuts, bolts screws etc. (in stainless steel) that are required. If you don't want the fans right away the HE can be ordered "Fan Ready" and is set up so that fans can be bolted on easily in the future.

- Fan protection - The GordsFord unit retains the front protection bar and the fans are mounted so that the bottom of the fans are flush with the bottom cap of the HE.

The Xtreme unit has no front protection bar and the fans are the lowest thing in the whole front end of the car! IMHO this makes them very vulnerable to damage. Also if the fans are contacted and pushed back, they push right into the power steering cooler unit which they are tight against.

- The Fluidyne Lightning unit requires cutting the front bumper, is much more costly when labor is considered, and has potential liability issues if you have a frontal accident and the insurer finds out the bumper structure was modified.

Aesthetics - We believe the GordsFord unit that fills the whole lower grille opening is the best looking HE unit available. Also it is available in black color or with the COBRA lettering. Of course beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Cost - The HE units all cost within probably a $10 to $20 difference. In terms of cooling capacity per dollar we believe that the GordsFord unit offers much more than any other aftermarket HE unit available.

Anyone wanting more information can email me at [email protected]

Gord Zonailo
GordsFord Performance Engineering
[email protected]
604 649 3533

lguerra1

Established Member
GordsFord,

Have you checked the temps of the coolant, or IAT2, and compared to a stock H/E to see what the difference is. I still have the stock H/E, and a 2.8 pulley. When the temps are in the 90's, the IAT2 temp is between 120-130 degrees. This is under normal, everyday driving.

Now at the track, it can be 90 out, and the temps will start at 120-130. But by the end of the 1/4, it will go up to 150-160. This doesn't bother me much, because I let the car cool down between runs.

But if that temp would start lower, and stay lower, then I can see great value in it. I realize the larger capacity will cause the coolant to increase temp at a slower rate. I was just wondering if you knew by how much. Or compared to the stocker, how much it dropped. Thanks.

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
lguerra1, we haven't been able to do any really meaningful testing since our weather turned cool in the Northwest right about the time that I finished my first prototype HE units. The HE cools the water temperature by at least 35 degrees and my customers have reported the temp basically stays the same through the quarter mile.

My car feels the same virtually all the time as it does during a cold fall or wintry night when the ambient air temperature difference is really noticeable with a stock HE. On the road the difference is very noticeable within a few minutes of very hard driving.
Our "open track" season will be starting again soon and I intend to instrument the car and do some extensive monitoring / recording to get real time hard data.

Gord

coleman

Established Member
I've got the GordsFord unit & I had my shop wire up the fans & pump to come on with a switch where the coil-tray is. :thumbsup:

Bad Snake

Established Member
Thanks for all the responces! Does any one else have any positive or negitive feedback?Has any one noticed a 1/4 mile time inprovement, or a lower coolent temp?

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Just IMO that I think the fans are only good when used
for in-between runs when the car is idle-I don't think they
help much when the car is moving as there becomes an
obundant air supply. I also think they AFCO unit is large
enough to offer additional cooling during the run. I do like
the Gords but didn't choose it because it's size (IMO no flame)
is to large and blocks some air coming into the regular
radiator from the frontal area.

Users who are viewing this thread