Aftermarket heat exchanger

5.0 guy

Established Member
I ordered an Afco heat exchanger and larger expansion tank with a 160 thermostat, has anyone found a difference with it running cooler. My car with the stage 3 is dead in the middle on the gauge after one full throttle run, then I notice a power reduction.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Mine definitely runs cooler, but I don't get alot of wide open runs where I live.
JLT, steggy port, 2.6 upper, 10% overdrive, afco exchanger and a 160 stat. I run water wetter in both the IC and radiator.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Im not an expert, but I think the heat exchanger is mainly for IACT. Intake air charge temperature. I dont think its going to do much for overall temperature.. Maybe a little..

But you swill see a difference with the air going in the engine..

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Does your temp gauge still stay in the middle or does it show cooler with the 160?

The needle stays a little left of middle since the 160 stat. Again, that is with some moderately aggressive driving.

Alloy Snake

Established Member
That is a question I would like an answer to as well,I have never had any overheating problems but I think the engine is designed to run within a predetermined range for optimal performance.

FiaCobra

Established Member
Isn't the heat exchanger and expansion tank totally independent of the vehicles cooling system? Isn't that the cooling for the supercharger only?

5.0 guy

Established Member
I think most of you are right regaurding the heat exchanger being for the supercharger. I was wondering about the temp needle change after the 160 stat. I'll have all these add ons this week since they are in the shipping process. One thing that will be interesting is after the dyno tune we can compare the stage 3 before and after numbers. One of my previous threads was why I'm only getting 10 #'s of boost instead of the expected 16# from the Evo kit here at 5,600ft elevation. I wanted to make sure proper cooling was included before I dialed the car in. Stay tuned this week!

Users who are viewing this thread