Aftermarket Heat Exchanger Info / Summary Inside

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Since this is a hot thing now, I wanted to come up with a comparison of the units available. Please add or correct any info you can, and I'd add it in. Maybe we can get it put in the FAQ eventually.

First, basics.
For those who don't know, the 03 Cobra has an intercooler (IC) and a heat exchanger (HE). The IC is under the supercharger. The HE is in the lower opening of the front bumper. The HE is just a small radiator, just like the bigger one for the engine.

Water goes through the IC, cools the intake air charge, then goes to the HE to be cooled. The water is pumped by a pump in the passenger fender. The small fluid tank in the engine bay is used to remove air from the system, a degas bottle.

Benefits:
A better HE will NOT give you more power if the fluid is already cool. There is an intake air temp (IAT) sensor after the IC. The EEC pulls timing and richens the A/F mix as the air charge heats up. A larger HE will prevent you from losing power as fast as you would stock, run after run. And you'll be back to full power faster. It may help the main cooling system work better in hot conditions as well.

Drawbacks:
It weighs more. And the weight is in a bad place, way up front in the car. I can't think of any other drawback.

The Contenders: I'll update this as more info is found or listed.

RPMoutlet: (Motoblue)
$390 + shipping
Heat Exchanger is Furnace Brazed eliminating sealing problems and need for epoxy on tanks.
16 Fins Per Inch Core
Unknown source for part.

GordFords:
$400 + shipping.
Gord's H/E measures 27.5" between the tanks, 6-5/8"high, 2.4" thick. The overall width is 31 inches.
1. The HE core is twice as thick as the stock unit and is 5" longer and about 3/4" deeper than stock.
2. The cooling fin area is almost 2.7 times larger than stock.
3. The cooling fin area is comparable to the large Fluidyne unit and about 1.2 times the frontal area of the other available units.
4. The HE fits within the stock mounting brackets and fits in the stock threaded bolt holes.
5. The stock steel angle (L) lower protection bar is retained.
6. The HE only hangs about 5/8 inch lower than stock and is fully hidden behind the front valence the stock chin spoiler.
7. The new HE fits between the brake duct openings without interference and brake ducts can still be used.
8. The HE completely fills the lower grille opening and the end tanks are not in view.
9. Can be left as bare aluminum or painted in "stealth black" to match the stock appearance.
10. Can be painted with the Cobra name to match the rear bumper letters if desired.
11. No cutting or modifying the front bumper structure.

Verus an AFCO, the frontal area of the GordsFord unit is 14% larger and the actual core frontage area is 18 % larger.
There is about 3/4 inch above the top of the HE to the underside of the bumper structure.
GordsFord plans on using 2 Spal 6.5 inch fans which draw 330 CFM each.

Xtreme/Davidmax:
Price ?
100% TIG welded, no epoxy.
26.5"L X 2.5" W X 7"H. 18 fins per inch. Two rows of 1" tubes.
Available with and without fans. Fans are 440CFM Spal units with a total of 5amp draw.
The production unit will most likely only have one bung at the outgoing port to monitor incoming temps to the intercooler.

AFCO:
Amazon: $429 + shipping. It can be purchased seperately or in a package with the fan kit $629.
JLP: $419 + shipping
LFP: $385 Shipped. (Caution with this vendor)

The AFCO unit is a true bolt-on.
16 cooling fins per inch (Stock HE has 12 fins per inch)
It is 26.5" wide, 6" high and the core thickness is 2.5".
The specs say it's 1" shorter length wise ( 27-1/2" versus 26-1/2" ) than the Gords unit.
Inside tank to inside tank (core width) is 24.75 inches.

Fluidyne: (Lighting Part)
$475 + shipping
About 26'' long, 9'' tall, 3.6"-3.7" wide.
100% Brazed Aluminum Core(No Epoxy Joints) MIG Welded Construction High Efficiency Polished Aluminum Tanks High Pressure Capacity
REQUIRES CUTTING/MODIFYING BUMPER SUPPORT.

PHP:
Cost: $530 + shipping
PHP Air-to-Water Heat Exchanger w/Fans
It also has two fans and a wiring interface to turn the fans and production pump on at all times
Heat exchanger fits without any modification
15% SVTOA discount applies to Paul's HE

Last time I checked the PHP setup was way more than that including the fans, it was well into the 600's

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Does anyone have any info on the new Fluidyne unit due out that is supposed to be 03-Specific and not require bumper modification?

MikeP

Established Member
Just wondering why there's a "caution with this vendor" for LFP? I know I'm not the only one who's had great service with Mark. Is it possible to elaborate on this a little?

Thanks

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Just wondering why there's a "caution with this vendor" for LFP? I know I'm not the only one who's had great service with Mark. Is it possible to elaborate on this a little?

I have been waiting 5 months for a refund!!

I am having a problem obtaining a refund from him, a refund that he agreed to, for a part that I returned to him, and that he received. I have the signed receipt.
It has been almost 5 months since the part was sent to him. Still no refund.
Mark will not return my emails or phone calls, nor will he even return the part that I sent back to him that I paid for. There has been no explanation as to why the refund has been denied.

The sad part about this entire issue is that we are only talking about $125 total.

An added note: recently a friend of his attempted to intercede and obtain the refund after I explained the situation to him. Mark told him a refund would be issued. That was 2 weeks ago. Still no refund.
I have all the documentation and receipts to substantiate these claims, including the emails in which he agreed to the refund.
There were other issues, but this is the most significant one.

I was told that I was not the only person who has had this type of problem.

I would not buy from him again. There are too many other vendors.
You do as you will.

Dana

eod guy

Established Member

[
RPMoutlet: (Motoblue)
$390 + shipping
Heat Exchanger is Furnace Brazed eliminating sealing problems and need for epoxy on tanks.
16 Fins Per Inch Core
Unknown source for part.

RPM told me that AFCO made it for them? Truth or more lies?

newcastle

Paul's is expensive, but I've never heard of the problems like LFP. Mark has a questionable history. Paul is just overpriced.

I agree with this.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Need-4-speed.com

What about the new unit thats supposedly coming out that will not need bumper modification?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I am not sure about that yet. I haven't looked at their site in a while, but I don't think they have any info about it. I really don't know how much longer it will be, sorry about that :shrug: I will check around tomorow and if I hear anything I will definately post it.

Users who are viewing this thread