aftermarket headlights.....grrrrr...

joshcarp81

Established Member
well since factory headlights apparently doubled in cost since last year i decided to take a stab at an aftermarket pair.
received in a timely fashion, however upon unpackaging the driver side unit i noticed the rubber seal looked a bit, well it looked a bit wonky! i will say the plastic portion looked really nice, the rubber not so much. i thought just for shits and giggles id put it on the car to see how it fit and well "not so good Andy!"
gap at the rearmost section of the headlight and the top as well. pretty much the rubber seal is garbage. I contact the vender and the guy tells me itll be a warranty claim?????? okay, asks for pics and i oblige. he then replied back thats just how they are if you want better fitting, nicer looking ones buy oem......

Thats it. no return for refund, apologies, nada.... being dumbfounded by this i contacted the vendor again. This guy looks into my account comes back and says we are aware of this with these headlights. So if you are aware why arent buyers made aware before purchasing. Because of course they want me to pay to ship them back now as well. i may as well throw them in the garbage....

I just found it revolting that a business would handle a situation like this. no accountability at all. Its like yeah we sell garbage so what? Im just flabergasted at the whole thing.

Zemedici

Established Member
Unfortunately that's what you get sometimes with aftermarket, goes back to the old 'you get what you pay for'

joshcarp81

Established Member
i called autonation as i do with all my oem stuff. thats when the bomb was dropped.... just didnt want to spend that kinda cash on headlights. i should have obviously in hindsight.

and yeah i get the old you get what you pay for, i do, but the customer service and customer paying for return shipping is just silly

Zemedici

Established Member
i called autonation as i do with all my oem stuff. thats when the bomb was dropped.... just didnt want to spend that kinda cash on headlights. i should have obviously in hindsight.

and yeah i get the old you get what you pay for, i do, but the customer service and customer paying for return shipping is just silly

Yeah I gotcha - and I got the same sticker shock when I called for headlights a few weeks ago, $400 for headlights on a 12 year old car is insanity....luckily I snagged an OE set cheap. I'll keep an eye out for ya!

joshcarp81

Established Member
i would be okay if they were 350 to sub 400. i may just piss around with the old oem ones and see about putting that rubber on the new housings.
much appreciated on looking out for a set for me. bad thing is the factories look really good still as the p.o. just replaced them a year or two before i bought it. just wanted to get the whole front end freshen up and put on some clear vinyl chip guard on everything.

IllCobra

Established Member
well thats who i bought mine through only they were oem looking replacements.
i hope your happy with yours.

Dang, and here i thought LMR had good customer service. Hopefully i dont encounter problems with mine since i know now what they're going to tell me lol

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Sorry to hear that. I've been looking to replace my old ones as well and i'm weary of the Ebay lights. LMR had good reviews and I was about to pull the trigger. I can't believe the OEM ones still command $400.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd try getting a hold of LMR's SVTP rep, I think his name was Tony and see what he can do.

I was going to suggest buying through a place like LMR or AM so you know you're covered but apparently only AM would cover you.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Phil04Cobra had the same issues with his first set from them.

Gave them another chance and the weather stripping was all over the place.

Called them and they took care of him by sending him another set and letting him keep the bad set. Must be getting the wrong guy on the phone.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Did you buy their SVE line headlights? I've had decent luck with those.

I am curious if you don't mind sharing what the brand was? They normally don't change the box, so it should be plainly marked.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I bought a set from LMR a few months ago. The rubber on the driver side wasn't attached at the front. The light wouldn't adjust as well. I called and they sent out a replacement. The rubber on that one ended up coming off two weeks later. I superglued it on and is been in place since.

joshcarp81

Established Member
i made the same mistake buying an aftermarket cowl for the car as well. it was junk too. wavy as could be and three tabs ended up breaking off in a month. i dont even drive the dang thing.

should have learned my lesson on that.
i may take your advice and contact their rep on the site and see if that goes anywhere.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I guess I got lucky. I purchased off eBay and got a decent set of lights. Are they 100% perfect? Of course not, but for what I paid they are exceptional.

They look good, but the drivers side beam is a little off. I have not tried to adjust it yet as I do not drive the car much and hardly ever at night.

Also, I live in a dry climate. So, I do not have condensation issues. Something else to think about.

20161027_174103_zpss5qo2ycm.gif

20161027_174114_zps789uujbp.gif

eBay link to where I purchased from (Not affiliated with them and NOT advocating them. Just passing on my experience).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380887234452?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

Brandon Adams

Established Member
I bought a pair off of EBAY for 80$ and fitment was perfect and still no condensation after 6 months but I did reseal them before I put them on. I think its hit or miss with EBAY. Good luck to you

Users who are viewing this thread