Aftermarket head unit problems

lightningmystic

Established Member
Well I decided to step into the new age and upgrade the head unit in my 04 and I'm having trouble. A few years ago I installed a mach 1000 head unit and subs in the car, I used the large power and speaker plug from the 04 but ran the mach 1000 sub harness to power those and it has worked great. I bought a jvc head unit just to get blue tooth and aux stuff and having trouble making it work. I have all the power and speakers hooked to the stock 04 large plug and I ran the amp power to the mach 1000 harness, it comes on but no amps. Realised I didn't hook up the rca cables, did that and they work, problem is I think the stock head unit sounds better. Jvc unit has 3 rca outputs, which should I use? I really want to use this radio but why bother if the stock one sounds better?

Sent from my VS986 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
this may sounds strange - but I think you may need to test using the Head Units speaker output instead of the RCA Line output.

I'm assuming your are cranking the volume on the head unit up and getting very noisy distorted sound in return?

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I have never heard a 460 system with just the headunit replaced that sounds good. I’ve developed an opinion that the whole system needs to be replaced if you’re going to do it.

Side note: How did you wire the 1000 set up into place?? With a 1000 head unit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lightningmystic

Established Member
It just doesn't seem to be as loud or as clear as it does from the stock head unit. As far as volume in not sure how far up I had it with the jvc because it goes by number and stock has the dial graph. The way I have had it for years was I took the wiring harness from the 02, found all the wires assoiciated to the mach 1000 and pulled them from the harness and layed that in next to my harness, I unplugged mine and plugged the 1000 in, at the radio side I bought an adapter from best buy to hook to an 04 and plugged that to my car. That plug is the power and speakers, I wired that into the plug from the 02 (i cut a chunk of that from the 02) and it plugs into the 1000 unit and the amp plugs were in the add on harness I put in. I didn't have to cut anything to make it work, just ran power to the battery for the subs and all is good. I really want to make this thing work. I had my subs and speaker grills painted mystichrome to match and it has been great setup.

Sent from my VS986 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread