Aftermarket grill recommendation Please

SVTKen

Established Member
MY '13 GT500 has a big exposed area with no grill to protect intercooler. This is just the way it comes from the factory, a fatal flaw if you ask me. Earlier this week an airborne rock damaged my intercooler and it has a hole in it and is leaking. It will cost over $3000 to replace the intercooler at the dealership, but it's covered by my comprehensive insurance, and fortunately I opted for zero deductible. Needless to say, I MUST find a grill to cover that area so it doesn't happen again. Please give me your recommendations and point me to any websites where I can get one. Pictures would be nice if you have an aftermarket one on your '13 or '14 Cobra. Ford says there is not a factory option for one.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The "fatal flaw" is also part of car's capabilities and cooling capacity. It's all about trade-offs.

Speaking of which, there's no way I'd spend $3K for a factory heat exchanger. (I assume that's what you mean, since the intercooler is mounted under the supercharger.) For a LOT less money, you could have a LOT more effective heat exchanger.

CV355

_
Established Member
I've wondered about this myself... Back in the Fall I was stuck behind some hillbilly on 178 in SC and their mattress and pillows fell out of their pickup. One of the pillows got stuck in the lower grill opening in my car. No joke. And I give a crazy following distance to avoid rocks + crap.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Mine got hammered by a rock a long time ago. Ford quoted me $2100, $1700 for the exchanger and $400 for the labor. I got lucky and Van was able to get me a used one for a lot less. I've had a custom car grill ever since and based on the dents in it I would have had to replace my exchanger atleast two more times. If something happens to my current exchanger I'll be going aftermarket no doubt. Triple pass and fans for less than a grand. Done.

merkyworks

Established Member
maxresdefault.jpg

The 13-14 grilles seems to expose the heat exchanger about the same as the 03-04 grilles did. I don't remember people having issues with road debris on the 03-04's though.

RBB

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket exchanger with fans. It'll be much cheaper and perform much better. The install is very easy as well. $3K installed for a stocker is outrageous.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Are the after market heat exchanger fans temperature controlled or do they use an on-off switch??

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I think they are wired to the ic pump and come on when it does. If I remember correctly a member here also set up a switch so that he could run the fans even with the car off to help cool her down between passes at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread