Aftermarket gauge question

SVTshelby

Established Member
going to buy the KR center gauge cluster (for 3 additional gauges) and have a couple questions.

1. Is it better to go with mechanical or electronic? Why?
2. Kind of a basic question, but what would you guys recomend? (i thought oil pressure, fuel pressure and maybe water temp?)
3. what all am i going to need? do the gauges come with everything or am i going to need special fittings/adapters?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
1. Its a personal preference. I have both (dual aeroforce setup and mechanical boost) The mechanical is easier to read at a quick glance because all you need to do is recall where the needle is. The electronic gauges you have to read numbers and it takes a little longer to comprehend then a glance at a needle position.

2. I would do fuel, oil press and boost. The stock boost gauge sucks. And maybe a aeroforce gauge so you can monitor your IAT and IAT2's and some other parameters the OBDII port will show.

3. That all depends on what kit you go with and weather its mechanical or electronic. The aeroforce gauges plug into the OBDII but if you add on senosors for oil press and boost you will need to run wires and need npt fittings. Most of the mechanical gauges comes with what is needed except extra wire to run the length needed. For my boost gauge i had to get a new tee but everything else was supplied

Bigmike0405

8)
Established Member
I have a auto meter dash gauge pod for sale if you want , instead of buying one that's really expensive mine is fairly priced.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Where's yours located? What pod do you use?

Both are vent mounted in the center of the dash.

0429011629.jpg

Not a great pic, but you can see the layout. I also installed a firewire cable that I can drop out of the passenger side dash. This makes datalogging AFR and Boost with SCT LiveLink easy.

+1 on that. I've been thinking about adding a wide band. Just wasn't sure if it would be better to add it to aeroforce gauges or get a whole new gauge so maybe easier to read.

Got any pics of how it looks?

The Aeroforce IS easy to read. Again, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

0429011629a.jpg

I also love the warning system built into Aeroforce gauges. You can set it to warn you something is wrong. One gauge is set to alert me if the AFR is over 12.1 when the throttle position is greater than a 70%. The dual red LEDs light up to let you know. It's easier than looking at the gauge while driving crazy on the street. I have the other gauge set to alert me if IAT2 is above 140*F, and it the engine coolant gets hotter than 200*F.

Last edited:

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
There is a difference between digital, electric, and mechanical. I don't like mechanical because you actually run fuel and oil directly to the gauge in the cockpit. Electric has a sender that sends voltage to the gauge to show up. Old electric gauges have a 90 degree sweep which is hard to read, better ones have a 270.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Thanks for the pics and info. You pretty such sold me on adding it to aeroforce. Was it difficult to program the alerts in? Also had to weld in a o2 sensor in exhaust or uses stock ones?
This will be my next round of mods once I sell a few parts I just took off car.

Hotrodvdog

Established Member
Both are vent mounted in the center of the dash.

0429011629.jpg

Not a great pic, but you can see the layout. I also installed a firewire cable that I can drop out of the passenger side dash. This makes datalogging AFR and Boost with SCT LiveLink easy.

The Aeroforce IS easy to read. Again, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

0429011629a.jpg

I also love the warning system built into Aeroforce gauges. You can set it to warn you something is wrong. One gauge is set to alert me if the AFR is over 12.1 when the throttle position is greater than a 70%. The dual red LEDs light up to let you know. It's easier than looking at the gauge while driving crazy on the street. I have the other gauge set to alert me if IAT2 is above 140*F, and it the engine coolant gets hotter than 200*F.

How easy is it to setup the FireWire cable to the SCT?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How easy is it to setup the FireWire cable to the SCT?

I did the footwork searching the internet to make sure I applied the right formulas so Livelink would interpret the voltage correctly.

* The formulas below only apply to the wideband and boost sensors sold for Aeroforce gauges*

Analog 1 : Wideband - "V * 2 + 10"
Analog 2 : 3.5 bar Map (boost) - "V * 14 + -14"

You may have to adjust the boost formula depending on your altitude. Mine actually reads "V * 14 + -13.8" to compensate for an accurate reading at 100' above sea level.

You can buy a cable from SCT, or make your own.

The wiring for the cable is easy as well. I found some diagrams on the interwebz to make my own.

LWFirewire.jpg

You strip away the insulation, and only use the orange and red wire inside. The wires are very small, you have to be careful with them.

If anyone wants some spare cables to make your own, I have 5 ready to be stripped, built, and installed. Will send one to you at the price of USPS shipping (about 2.00 bucks).

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If anyone wants Aeroforce gauges, do not buy them anywhere but here. You get the fastest shipping possible, and customer service above and beyond.

Revan Racing

In case some of you missed it, you should take a look at Zpods. Zak does an amazing job making them, and they are a great option to mount your gauges.

Z pod primary thread

Zpod thread #2

Z pod thread #3

I've upgraded the covers on my Aeroforce to say "SVT". It's an option when you buy the gauges.

0625011111.jpg

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
Thanks for the pics and info. You pretty such sold me on adding it to aeroforce. Was it difficult to program the alerts in? Also had to weld in a o2 sensor in exhaust or uses stock ones?
This will be my next round of mods once I sell a few parts I just took off car.

+1. Thanks Beast.

Users who are viewing this thread