Aftermarket Exhaust.....

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I was just curious about what options there are to choose from. I would like to buy exhaust (catback & O/R Y) for my father's 94 for Christmas, but I'm not sure what all is out there. I noticed that Basani offers a pretty nice setup for the Lightning which still shoots out at the normal location . I had Bassani on my Cobra and loved it, but how does it sound on L's?

Any input would be awesome. :beer:

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
EDIT:

After doing some more research, I figured out that Bassani is pretty much the only supplier that makes full catbacks. That being said, how does their systems sound without cats?

mytjojo

Established Member
bro I'm pretty shure magnaflow makes them for the L.. my buddy had an L that's what he used and it sounded great

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
My only concern is cab noise. My dad will take the exhaust right back off if it is annoying at highway speeds. I'm not sure what he defines as annoying, because his daily is a 03 GT with a catless midpipe and Flowmasters. Then again, the Lightning cruises at higher rpms....

marc2000gt

Established Member
Bassani is it for Gen 1 Lightnings. Dave Pickrel used to make an exhaust that used a Magnaflow muffler. I have that setup. Magnaflow does not make one though.

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
if you can find one of pickerel's setups used or never installed new, that would be the way to go. good stuff.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
the bassani cat back is very quiet at cruising speed. i ditched mine because it was to quiet. looked good though.

bassani2.jpg

marc2000gt

Established Member
I know of at least one guy that modified a aftermarket Gen 2 exhaust and made it fit a Gen 1. That is if you are wanting a catback. The Pickrel setup is used with longtube headers. Pickrel never made a catback for the stock setup.

greenstang

I have the full Bassani on my 95 with the off road x-pipe and love it.It's not too loud but has a nice deep tone.It's more of an old mans' system.I have a Bassani off road pipe on my 93 with custom made 2 1/2 stock exit tailpipes and Dynomax super turbos and it resonates some at highway speeds.

John O'Donal

I had the Bassani exhaust and while I was happy with the sound, I just wanted more performance and deeper sound.

The Magnaflows are hard to beat when set up correctly. When I changed my set up I made more power and felt my exhaust tone was deeper.

My truck was the test truck for JDM's/kooks full exhaust for the Gen1 back in 2002. I got the Kook's long tubes, Cats with Air tube and magnaflow catback with Gen2 style exit.
Keep in mind, this was all custom at the time and JDM did awesome, now over 5 years later I am still running the same set up.

a few weeks ago, we had a 100' drag race event locally. I entered and they shot alot of video during the event.

I am in the near lane and you will get the idea of the sound of this setup.
My truck is naturally aspirated
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/96c4bb25-b317-47b4-8cb1-99d4010e7b8d.htm

odoyle

Established Member
I love my Mac LT's mandrel bent 3" pipe into Magnaflow #12599 x pipe muffler with Gen2 style tips exit. Only probem is it's not a bolt on only. I've always heard good things about Bassini and I wouldn't imagine it would be to loud at all..

Users who are viewing this thread