Aftermarket axle recommendations?

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
Well, it looks like I have another bent axle. I've noticed some of the familiar squeaking appearing again. Checked it the lazy-man's way this time...stuck a go-pro on the side of the car pointed at each tire and sure enough, wobble city on the driver rear. This makes the third time replacing a bent axle on this car (twice on passenger side, now it's the driver side). Since the third time is supposed to be the 'charm'...I thought I'd ask what you guys recommend as far as axle replacement goes. Apparently I need something stronger than stock, but I don't want to replace the whole rear-end or anything that extreme.

Driving style: I don't drag race the car. Mostly country back-road driving with the occasional trip to town. However, I do have fun with it and of course "clean out the carbon build-up" from time to time.

Also, is there something else I should look at here as a problem since this isn't the first time I've had to replace an axle?

Last edited:

A.M.R

Established Member
If you're not drag racing, how are your axles bending? Usually, the main cause of this is aggressive launches with good traction. Anyway, go for strange or moser 31 Spline axles

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
If you're not drag racing, how are your axles bending?
The first replacement was due to an accident (rear ended). The second time it was the accident replacement axle (passenger side). Maybe it was a faulty part or installed incorrectly? Now the third time it's the driver side. I wonder if it too was slightly damaged from the accident and over time has gradually become worse.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer Strange to Moser, but when I was buying Strange didn't have one for my 9" end application.
If Strange offers a drop-in replacement, I'd recommend them, but my Mosers have been fine.
-J

jasong712

Established Member
The suggestions everyone mentioned will be fine.

That being said, I would check to see how "true" that rear end is after the accident. There is no possible way that you are bending axles this frequently with no drag racing. Even with your "carbon build up runs" you shouldn't be bending an axle. Maaayyybbbeee if you were doing it on radials but I doubt it.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
I do run drag radials on the rear just to help with traction and realize traction = things breaking. However, I don't think that's the root of the issue here. Naturally the accident was the reason this all started in the first place so it would make sense that something flaky is going on with the geometry or replacement parts, etc..

I'm just going to take it to a popular local mustang tuner that I feel comfortable with and have them examine the entire rear assembly to see if there's anything out of whack and what needs replacing.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I prefer Strange to Moser, but when I was buying Strange didn't have one for my 9" end application.
If Strange offers a drop-in replacement, I'd recommend them, but my Mosers have been fine.
-J

What's required to get Strange Axles to fit the stock application?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What's required to get Strange Axles to fit the stock application?

Not sure, they may have stock replacements.
I only was looking for 33-spline with 9" ends and they didn't have those with ABS rings and stock brakes.
The Mosers did but they couldn't guarantee the '13-14 larger brakes but the brackets are the same at the axle tube so no issues when it went together for me.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread