Aftermarket alarm missing. Just want factory key fab to work!

PPFProFitter

Established Member
Hey guys, I would appreciate your help on this one. I have a 1994 mustang almost acceptably put back together. When I bought it there was no key fab with it. I finally got around to buying a fab for it off ebay and tried to reprogram it. I've tried every freaking way they recommend on the net and from the company that sent me the factory fab. After reading into the issue on the internet further I checked to see if there was an aftermarket alarm installed. It turns out there was at one time but it was removed before i got the car. The wires were just cut under the steering column and the unit was not there.

When I tried to program the remote the doors locks did cycle (go up or down), but then it would not program to the remote I have. The remote does put out a signal because I took it to Advance Auto and tested it and the little reader picked up a signal from it. I am assuming with the aftermarket system that you need to splice or cut into the antenna wire which is why the factory system is not receiving the signal from the fab. Can I just mount an auxiliary antenna in the trunk and plug it to the keyless entry module to get this to work, or do you think there is much more to it.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Its possible the after market alarm wiring spliced some factory wires in series with the cars harness wiring.When the wires were cut to remove the unit ,some wires were now left in an open condition. Meaning basically some may have to be spliced back together.I'd try to get a wiring manual to help with color coding ,etc.If you knew what brand after market alarm was installed/removed it might help to get an install wiring schematic to help with re-connect of open wires if that is the cause of your problem.Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Go to your local bestbuy and get a keyless entry installed..

Or find a ford moduel, and fix the damaged wires..

PPFProFitter

Established Member
thanks for the help guys. I took all the panels out and reconnected one wire that was cut and grounded to a metal piece. Worked right after that. I just had to remove all the crap left over from the aftermarket system.

psychotuner

Established Member
profitter, where was this wire located? I am having the same issue, bought the car with no key fob, it has/had a viper alarm on it. I want the factory fob to work for now untill I can budget taking it to a shop to fix the said alarm. When I jump the wire in the trunk, the locks,lock and unlock like said, and nothing happens when I push key fob....

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
under the drivers side knee bolster (under the steering wheel behind the dash towards the fuses)

If you have a viper alarm I bet you wont find the ford one still in the car. Most installers pull the factory moduel because all the wires are already there for the viper alarm system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread