aftermarket airbox/ chip

lightning17

Established Member
I would like to install a new air box and inlet system, as well as, add a chip to increase HP. Are the JDM dual chips add as much horse power as they claim (approx, 40 h.p.)? Does anyone have any experience with this and can advise.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I'm running the JDM Chip. It's an awesome difference. You can feel a huge difference after installing the chip. Give it a try. :beer:

P.S. Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

lightning17

Established Member
Thank you for the information--lightninglarry and stank. I have installed the flip chip, silver bullet exhaust and JDMs airbox system. Last week I got baseline numbers at Englishtown (before modifications) of 13.33 104.6mph and 13.44 104.4mph with reaction times close to being completely asleep 1.0. This was my first time down a 1/4 mile track and I was learning what to do. I will see if these modifications added anything this wednesday.

lightning17

Established Member
To superford,

Yes those numbers were bone stock. JDM indicated that the truck should run between 13.4-14.00 stock. My father was surprised also. But, it did it twice. The only thing I can think of is we changed the oil to Mobil 1 and after the oil change the trucks boost increased to 11PSI. Previous to this it was never above 10PSI. This is probably why I got good performance. The JDM engineer who programmed the chip saw the time slips and told me if I cut a better light the truck might of show 13.2 ETs.

SYNTHETIC OIL = HP

lightning17

Established Member
To NavyTim,
No we have to go back to JDM tomorrow the chip is not programmed correctly. Hopefully, it will not rain tomorrow night and we will get to run.

Another question? Does this truck have an intercooler? If so were and how is it cooled by the radiator?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
See the small resivore of coolant in front to the left thats the Intercooler res. and the intercooler is below the Eaton inbetween the Cyl. V. One mod that Lightning owners do is buy a 4-6 Gallon racing fuel tank and bolt it in the bed to drop E/T's by a tenth or more. It increses the cooling effect of the intercooler by circulating more coolant.:coolman:

Last edited:

lightning17

Established Member
NavyTim,
Got down the track tonight, finally no rain. Very dissapointed. I did the following modifications and only ran a best of 13.06 at 104.8 mph. This was with 100 octane and the flip chip on program 2 race mode. With the chip set to position 1 the truck ran a 13.94 at 103.8 mph. First this is what was done.

1. JDM Silver bullet exhaust
2. JDM programmed flip chip
3. JDM air intake system
4. vaccum bypass
5. JDM oil breather cap

JDM claims a .5-.7 et reduction with their chip. JDM does not give numbers for exhaust and air intakes, but usually this will give you a .1 et decrease.

The truck ran 13.43 at 104.6mph stock. The best I could get was at 13.06 et with the average 13.15. This is at best only a .3 reduction in et for just over $1200.00. Not very good and only half the manufactures claims--not good either. Also, the changes for the second time caused the check engine light to come on. So we have to find this source. The last time it was the chips programming. This was corrected free of charge.

The point here is be careful of manufacturers claims. Hopefully, everyone will send a posting telling me what I suspect, that the chip irself is no good and will not hold the programming correctly.
I will find out, get the chip returned and processed hopefully, for wednesday nights time trials.

The truck should at worst been in the 12.85-12.95 et bracket with 105mph.

lightning17

Established Member
lightning larry,
on the best run the 60 ft time was 1.9. Ran the stock tires with 18 lbs. pressure. The one run where they spun badly past the 60 foot mark the truck ran 14.3. Otherwise, as I said the average was 13.15 et.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
A 1.9 is decent. A #4 lower pulley with the mods you have would make a huge difference. But you'll need some better tires to get it out of the hole after the pulley change. :beer:

lightning17

Established Member
to lightning larry and others

Has anyone else made these changes JDM exhaust,flip chip,airbox, breather cap boost bypass, and had stock numbers then numbers with these types of changes. Thanks for the suggestion lightning larry, but why add more of their equipment if it does not stand up to manufacturers claims. There must be manufactures of lightning after market products.

Woogie Daxel

Established Member
Hmmm

Hmm this is very interesting.
I have heard nothing but rave reviews on this forum about the JDM parts. I had similar experience with my 95 M3, I spent a lot of money on aftermarket go fast bolt-on parts and did not see much difference from stock times. Was not worth the money IMHO. Definitely mfgr's do inflate numbers in magazine articles, etc.. I do not know much about the domestic market since I am a newbie and have not had the pleasure of installing any performance parts yet; but in import car world it is very, very common occurence.
Laterz,
Woogie.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Where does JDM claim that their chip will cut .5-.7 off of your E.T.?

The chip will most likely add between 30 and 35 HP, depending on how aggressive your program it. 35HP does not equate to .5-.7 off. Plus the chip does other things besides freeing up HP.

All the other mods combined might be worth .1-.2

So, on the avg run with those mods, I would suggest that a drop of .5 would be a good amount.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread