After tomorrow................

Cman01

hello
Established Member
…………….Shelby will have the 3:90 in the rear end. Car is all packed with all the parts that will be replaced with this gear swap. SCT X4 is ready to flash the new gear into the tune.

Have all my service manual info printed out as a reference for the installer.

Leaving bright and early tomorrow for the long drive to the other end of the city to get it installed.

Will take pics as the gear is put in...………..and my impressions after some time in the seat with the new gearset.

Also later this week axle pipes will get fixed and Corsas go on.

Tony

fearthesnake

Established Member
Awesome upgrade. Im running 3.73 though but love the gears. One of the best upgrades imo.

Have you had the Corsa on before or new for you? Love the Corsa also and a great sounding/looking muffler.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Corsas are new for me, the current rebate helped me decide to get it otherwise I was keeping the OE mufflers on.

Initial SOTP review after I come home later today after the gear install.

Last edited:

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I have 4.10's which with taller MT's = 3.90. I may drop down to 3.90's ( might =370's) if my buddy who makes very much the same HP walks away with his 373's...unless I can get him on the hit and stay out there! lol!

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Ok, I'm now home the gear is installed and...…………………..

………………..yes I have a coast whine it's not loud but it's there. The owner of the shop wanted me to drive it for a few days and if it doesn't get better he wants me to take it back there and he'll open it up again and make an adjustment. I also have this metallic ringing when I'm barely on the throttle at highway speeds...…………..this ringing is annoying. The funny thing is it goes away when I tip in and if I back off the throttle but just barely holding the throttle to keep the car speed constant the ringing is there.

Keep in mind I'm running a solid pinion spacer and this is a treated gearset and sometimes it might take a bit of driving for the gears to work itself in according to him. My backlash reading is 0.009" (near the tight side) and I have pics of the teeth pattern.

Pics:

Stock gearset (still feel like I shouldn't have messed with it now that I have noise)

ab3xmv.jpg

All apart:

ei45y0.jpg

Tooth pattern:

2mr5du1.jpg

35b8gm1.jpg

Old parts (I kept my old gearset (they cleaned it up for me) and kept old ring gear bolts):

abep2.jpg

Now AFA first impressions of the gear itself...……..EXACTLY what I was looking for in this car, it feels so much more lively now compared with 3:31's. This car should have this gear in it from Ford (without the noise of course).

So I'll drive it more and see what happens in the next couple days.

Forgot to add...………….shop didn't take payment from me yet, if it gets better he'll take my Visa over the phone to pay or if I'm up there Thursday I can pay then...……………..that's trust.

He's also going to get in touch with US Gear to find out more info about their Lightning gear sets (he's probably going to send them the pics of the contact pattern).

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
3.90-4.10 gearsets really wake these cars up. With my 2011 transmission gearing, Im through the traps at just over 6100 RPM in 4th. I did run bias ply's so they may have expanded at the top end of the track.

Ironically enough, I still knock down 20 mpg cruising on the freeway. :D

fearthesnake

Established Member
Awesome update and glad you like the Gears minus the whine.

I have the same exact whine but have learned to deal with it, either crank the music up and/or Windows are always down so it's minimal.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I don't mind the whine as much as the metallic ringing that's right at my highway cruising speed that definitely is not normal.

3 people I know who are techs saw my gear pattern pics and they concur that the pattern is good so basically there should be no problems.

The latest update as of right now is that the owner of the trans place contacted US Gear and they want to see pics of the gear pattern also. It's not 100% for sure yet but it looks like they might want to send another gear set to install and get the installed part back for analysis. (US Gear has asked for my BOS for the Gearset and I have forwarded the invoice to the install place). The owner still might want me to go back for him to do the adjustment but if US Gear wants to send another gearset that means my diff will get opened up 3 times and I'm not sure if I want to go through that.

I will be talking with the owner later and see what he says (after he forwards my invoice and gear pattern pics). I still have to find out if it will be ok to still drive the car with this noise issue (I definitely don't want to damage all my new brgs, races, seals etc etc that were replaced yesterday with the gearset), the Shelby might have to be parked for a bit and I'll be Z06ing around for the next while.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
New update:

He forwarded the info US Gear wanted so now we'll wait and see what they say. I won't bring the car back to the shop to do the adjustment just yet after talking with the shop I was assured that I can still drive the car normally but not beat on it so I'll do that for a bit till an answer shows up from US Gear (I'll wait a week or so before checking for an update).

Will pop by GM Freak's work and go for a drive with him tomorrow so he can hear the noise and I might sort out my exhaust also and get the Corsas on.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Honestly, I wouldnt worry about your diff being opened up. Bearings are tough Koyo's if they used the FoMoCo parts. Other than a new crush washer and more Loctite 638 on the diff carrier, it should be fine.

fearthesnake

Established Member
I may be wrong but havent other owners complained about USGear sets being more noisy than Ford Racing gears.

I would do the opposite and drive it some to see what happens for better or worse. With the set of eyes looking at it now, I feel sure you wouldnt pay for anything if something breaks or goes wrong.

You poor thing having to drive around in a Z06 as a backup! Must be nice!

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Yeah it sucks if I had to park the Shelby to drive the Z06 LOL. They both get equal time on the street most times I drive my slightly handling modded Suzuki SX4.

f35hlt.jpg

If Ford Racing made a 3:90 gear set I probably would've gone with that, I chose US Gear due to their gears being made in the USA (Motive and Richmond have gears made in China) and they offered the ISF finish which at the time I thought was a better gear set and hopefully eliminate issues after proper install (obviously not the case at this moment).

I received a text from the install place today, they heard from US Gear and at this moment they are discussing my situation with their engineers. It is possible that I will have an answer from them as early as tomorrow. They have acknowledged that early production ISF gearsets may have noise issues...………..(that's good news for me hopefully that a new gearset might be in the future).

US Gear announced their ISF coating for their gearsets in the fall of 2016 when I did my order for my gearset and didn't receive it till February 2017. It sat in the original box in my closet in my spare bedroom till Monday when I finally installed it (the plan was to install summer 2017) so I'm guessing I do have one of the early ISF gearsets which may have a noise issue *crossing my fingers that I will get a new gearset, successfully installed this time WITH NO ISSUES*

Update as I know more.

Tony

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Assuming US Gear gives you a new gear set, it's not real likely they're going to pay your installer for a second install. If I was the installer, I'm not sure I'd install a second gear set at no charge when the first set proved defective and not his fault. I'm curious how this will turn out.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Not sure about that either. I offered after yesterday's discussion to pay him for Monday's install but he didn't want payment yet. He's waiting to see how this turns out before I pay him. I do know he wasn't going to charge me extra if I did bring the car back for that "adjustment" he wanted to do before US Gear had implied about maybe a new gearset to solve this problem...……………….I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'm actually curious as to what "adjustment" he could make to maybe quiet down the gearset. Assuming he has proper pinion preload now, the backlash is correct (0.009"), and the gear pattern is good...…………..wouldn't any adjustments he might make mess up these specs now on this gearset???

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think you have enough miles on it yet to where if he did change the backlash or the pinion depth, it would mess up anything, as they will wear in together over a longer term. He may just be wanting to change the preload on the bearings which shouldn't involve much, if any change, to backlash or pinion depth.

pierce88

Established Member
Just got my 4.10s installed over the weekend (Had 3.73s prior that whined like crazy).

When my installer set backlash to 0.009 they whined.

He called ford racing and they said they get that call 3+ times per week. Open back lash to 0.013" or 0.014".

Drove the car around last night anywhere from stop and go to 80mph on highway and there was zero whine. Didn't believe it was possible but they are right!

-Andrew

Beercules

Established Member
I think motives are made in France.

Yeah it sucks if I had to park the Shelby to drive the Z06 LOL. They both get equal time on the street most times I drive my slightly handling modded Suzuki SX4.

View attachment 1496038

If Ford Racing made a 3:90 gear set I probably would've gone with that, I chose US Gear due to their gears being made in the USA (Motive and Richmond have gears made in China) and they offered the ISF finish which at the time I thought was a better gear set and hopefully eliminate issues after proper install (obviously not the case at this moment).

I received a text from the install place today, they heard from US Gear and at this moment they are discussing my situation with their engineers. It is possible that I will have an answer from them as early as tomorrow. They have acknowledged that early production ISF gearsets may have noise issues...………..(that's good news for me hopefully that a new gearset might be in the future).

US Gear announced their ISF coating for their gearsets in the fall of 2016 when I did my order for my gearset and didn't receive it till February 2017. It sat in the original box in my closet in my spare bedroom till Monday when I finally installed it (the plan was to install summer 2017) so I'm guessing I do have one of the early ISF gearsets which may have a noise issue *crossing my fingers that I will get a new gearset, successfully installed this time WITH NO ISSUES*

Update as I know more.

Tony

Beercules

Established Member
Also, try driving highway speed in 5th instead of 6th to see if the ringing goes away. Since you have different diff gears your engine/ trans speeds are higher. You could have found a natural frequency or a problem with something further up the power train.

Users who are viewing this thread