After market speakers for the Mach 460

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Can anyone recommend some good speakers that will work with the Mach 460 system. My factory speakers are going on 14 years old.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Do a search, but you will find most do away with the stock system in search of better sound. I had intentions of keeping my 460 amps and just upgrading HU and speakers, however best of luck with that attempt.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I'm not looking to replace the system just the speakers.

You really don't have another option. I tried and they don't work properly with the stock amps/system. I ended up gutting my head unit, cd player, all three amps and rear speaker encloser. Then I installed Pioneer head unit and speakers and rewired it all. I need to go with 3-way rear speakers as the 2-way don't sound any better than the stock system.

Cobra52898

Established Member
I've a nice Alpine head unit and power amp but really want to maintain the factory appearance of my Cobra. Ford did such a good job with the astetics of the SN95 I hate to change it.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
i just put two 12s in my trunk with a 1000 watt amp on a new Pioneer stereo (super cheap) and i think it sounds fine.

captthunderpnts

Established Member
What is it you're looking for in upgrading the speakers? More bass, highs, etc?

I have a 98 vert, and I decided to keep the stock components, but bypass the Mach 460 amps (which are not bad, either). I just replaced my head unit with a Kenwood Excelon X895, which has built in High Pass Filter crossovers for front and rear. Set them to 80hz for front, 100hz for back, and I let the low end be covered by one RE Audio SEx 10", with an Alpine amp that puts out a just around 250w RMS @ 4ohm.

Leagues better than stock, very clear sound from the whole system, and it's not half bad on the highway with the top down, either.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I'm not looking to replace the system just the speakers.

You don't have a choice. The 460 speakers are specific to the 460 system. You can't run stock speakers off the 460 amps due to their impedance. Besides, even though the 460 system sounds decent for a stock unit, the speakers are 14 years old. Even if you get some stock replacements (unless they are NOS) they will be used as well. Might as well spring for a decent amp and component system. Tons of affordable options out there.

I've a nice Alpine head unit and power amp but really want to maintain the factory appearance of my Cobra. Ford did such a good job with the astetics of the SN95 I hate to change it.

The speakers are mounted behind covers so you won't see them anyways.

Cobra52898

Established Member
What have you all done to fill in the opening where the factory CD player was mounted?

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
A ford 'cubby' out of a 95 Thunderbird. Seen below the receiver.

DrivingMsDaisy.jpg

Last edited:

CzchMex

Established Member
What have people replaced the door sill speakers with? They are more than just tweeters. They have enclosures to help the sound.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
What have people replaced the door sill speakers with? They are more than just tweeters. They have enclosures to help the sound.

I utilized component sets for both front and rear.

For the front I mounted the midrange speaker in the door and the tweeter in the sail panel. I had to fab a little bracket to support the smaller tweeter in the 2.5" location but it was simple. The crossover is wrapped in MANY layers of plastic and tucked in the door.

For the rear I again utilized the stock locations and mounted the crossover in the mach 460enclosure.

I'm running a head unit to a 4 channel amp, which runs the component sets on the front channels of the amp ran in parrallel. The amp is mounted in a fiberglass amp rack that is visible when the back seat is down, otherwise it's hidden if you were to look in the trunk. The rear channel is bridged and runs a single 10" in a fiberglass enclosure in the corner of the trunk.

Sounds decent and unless you looked in the trunk or at the head unit, you wouldn't know it's not stock.

I'm using a cubby in the CD location as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread