After market brake help!

WynkoopBK

Jiu Jitsu
Established Member
I have the Cobra R Brembo front brake kit and am now looking to do the back breaks, but am lost. I am told 75 percent of breaking is done on the front breaks so the back is not as important. However, I need new rear rotors so I am going to do something. I have been told Brembo is the best with Baer in second. Those two brands appear to focus more on imports. I see all the American muscle sights pushing the Power Slot rotors. What should I do? I can't find any info on what is best for my 04 Cobra. What rotors or entire brake setup should I do?
Thanks, Ben OC, CA

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
actually its closer to 85% on the fronts.

lube the sliders on the rear calipers
the piston screws in, it wont press in no matter how hard you squeeze with a clamp.
the notches in the piston should be at 12:00 and 6:00 to mate with the tits on the back of the brake pad

go for a set of rotors that match your fronts.
tirerack.com
buybrakes.com
raceshopper.com

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I have PowerSlots on the front and they are a nice product. But I'm with ShelbyGuy on this. I wouldn't waste your money on expensive rotors for the rear, not much to be gained from that.

cm04cobra

Established Member
I'm not going to be much help.....but I do have some questions.

I am also looking at the brake issue. Having difficulties slowing down on the track. I am looking into upgrading my original cobra 2 pistion set up. The cobra Rs are 4 pistion??? How do they treat you??? I am also looking at Stoptech ( 4 pistion) and Wilwood ( 6 pistion) systems. They both utilize alum. hat style vented rotors. I've been told by several venders (who carry Brembo) that they are over priced and there are better options with more bag for the buck. Does anyone know anything about this? Will this improve my braking distance significantly. I would really like to start braking with the vets but don't want to waste 2K for a mild improvement. Thanks for your help.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The stock PBR's with aggressive pads will work for 99% of the folks out there.

If you want a way better feel; less fade and better pad life...the Brembo 4pistons are about the cheapest way to go.

IF you want to go allll the way...Alcons...I wouldn't bother other than wow factor and open track (lots of it).

There aren't many (if any) caliper options for the rear...I think Wilwood may be one of the only ones. I'm not even sure if they have a rear kit or not.

Notch 1: Better rotors/pads/braided lines
Notch 2: Brembo 4pots on the front

PBR/Baer also has a pin drive caliper (standard C5/6 'Vette) that is of similar clamping force to the Brembo R piece; but its still a floating design.

Brizzal84

Established Member
willwood make a 6 pistion caliper with 13 inch rotor for the rear. I can get them for $1900. they also make a 4 pistion caliper it like a 12inch rotor I think they cost something like $1200 to $1000.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I'm not going to be much help.....but I do have some questions.

I am also looking at the brake issue. Having difficulties slowing down on the track. I am looking into upgrading my original cobra 2 pistion set up. The cobra Rs are 4 pistion??? How do they treat you??? I am also looking at Stoptech ( 4 pistion) and Wilwood ( 6 pistion) systems. They both utilize alum. hat style vented rotors. I've been told by several venders (who carry Brembo) that they are over priced and there are better options with more bag for the buck. Does anyone know anything about this? Will this improve my braking distance significantly. I would really like to start braking with the vets but don't want to waste 2K for a mild improvement. Thanks for your help.
Flush your brake fluid every year and use braided hoses. That alone will improve things without breaking the bank. Ford's OEM brake fluid is cheap and works fairly well. Remember that brake fluid absorbs water, and water in the line will reduce braking power significantly.

Todd TCE

Established Member
willwood make a 6 pistion caliper with 13 inch rotor for the rear. I can get them for $1900. they also make a 4 pistion caliper it like a 12inch rotor I think they cost something like $1200 to $1000.

Wilwood does not produce a rear kit with six piston calipers on 13" rotors.
While the aftermarket builders may produce such a thing, the Wilwood FACTORY does not and would not due to improper brake balance issues and cost. All rear kits are four pot design (with smaller piston area) and most are found in the "rear axle kits" section of the catalog. I believe all are 12.2 x .81 with Dynalite calipers which is an ample design for a rear kit. And your pricing seems quite high, I'd shop around a bit.

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
This is an interesting topic. I am subscribing

Users who are viewing this thread