after hitting 130 in 4th, wouldn't get out of the gear...

M4_ELITE

Established Member
i've had nothing but problems since replacing the stock clutch last year. i replaced it with a spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel. the throwout bearing made noise after a few hundred miles. that shop replaced the throwout bearing 2 weeks later w/ another spec tob. A few weeks later, that made noise and the clutch pedal would shake. So I went to another shop and had them install a timkin tob. The mechanics told me that the previous shop that did clutch work put most of the bolts in the wrong places, miss matching hardware. A few weeks later the timkin tob started making noise/ the clutch pedal was shaking as well. So I said let me just replace the entire clutch again (w/ around 1000 miles on the spec 2 n flywheel), bought an OEM clutch and flywheel and had that installed. Now the throw out bearings making noise again, and recently when gettin on the car getting up to 130+ in 4th, it didnt want to get out of gear. Today its harder to get the car in almost any gear. I'm really frustrated with this, and am probably going to take it to ford... Any of you experts have any idea what it could be, before i get raped from ford? lol, thank you.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
That is a lot of trouble for changing a clutch! I have the spec2 and had to change the tob shortly after as well. No problem with the Timken I installed. McCleod HD or OEM Ford TOB would be the only other choices IMO. The Spec2 also required a longer cable in my car and the travel length to disengage is ridiculous. This clutch will be replaced later with a ProMotion setup. A friend installed one same time I did and that clutch is great, no comparison.

Was the TOB tube inspected on your trans for any issues? The only things that come to mind with your issue is the TOB, clutch adj. problem.

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
I had the same problems with mine being hard to shift under hard acceleration then it started getting hard to go into gear period. So I replaced the clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster and haven't have any trouble since then.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
That is a lot of trouble for changing a clutch! I have the spec2 and had to change the tob shortly after as well. No problem with the Timken I installed. McCleod HD or OEM Ford TOB would be the only other choices IMO. The Spec2 also required a longer cable in my car and the travel length to disengage is ridiculous. This clutch will be replaced later with a ProMotion setup. A friend installed one same time I did and that clutch is great, no comparison.

Was the TOB tube inspected on your trans for any issues? The only things that come to mind with your issue is the TOB, clutch adj. problem.

Yea it's been a real pain in the ass lol. It's funny that you mention the cable needing to be bigger w/ the spec 2, because 2 weeks after installing the spec 2 the stock cable was stretched completely (pushing the pedal up didnt do anything)...

I'm not sure if the TOB tube was inspected, I guess it was as I told the mechanic my entire TOB story... Thanks for your input.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
I had the same problems with mine being hard to shift under hard acceleration then it started getting hard to go into gear period. So I replaced the clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster and haven't have any trouble since then.

I had a new cable and firewall installed when i installed the latest clutch. How many miles have you put on your car since the install?

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
TOB's keep going bad? Clutch fork? How about the beraing retainer over the input shaft? Is that in good shape and groove free?

M4_ELITE

Established Member
TOB's keep going bad? Clutch fork? How about the beraing retainer over the input shaft? Is that in good shape and groove free?

No clue how those are to be honest. I'm gonna take it to ford soon and get it over with... thanks for your input tho.

tj04cobra

Established Member
i made the mistake of replacing my stock clutch with another stock clutch. i work in a service shop of a ford dealership and we had one in stock (i was going out of town the next day and needed the car fixed asap). the first time i changed it out the tob melted and the clutch was in terrible shape. that lasted about 800 miles and i grenaded the 2nd stock clutch. the clutch disc shattered and the tob came apart again. while the car was on the second stock clutch the clutch pedal would vibrate very badly. i then replaced it with a spec 3+, new cable, fiore firewall adjuster and quadrant,tob and tob retainer sleeve and the pedal vibration has gone away. the clutch is very smooth.

KILRSVT

Established Member
spec 3 here and yeah i do have a noise t o b. I have a little bit of a hard shift but i know its the clutch cable.

20psirabbit

Established Member
i have to wonder if a quadrant and firewall adjuster would have solved your engagement problems? i guess it doesn't really matter though because the shaking is a bigger problem :(

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
I've recently had the same issue with 4th. Occasionally after a hard pull through 3rd into 4th and then continuing the pull in 4th it will get stuck.

I've got the full Steeda kit for the firewall adjuster, quadrant, and cable.

Clutch is a Spec 3+ and is 10k old.

Fluid was just changed before this happened to Pennzoil Synchromesh.

I also just installed a MGW shifter after this problem started, made sure the clutch is adjusted properly, and made sure the trans fluid was full.

The car shifts like butter when driving normal, and shifts fine when driving hard as well. It will only get stuck after the hard WOT 3rd/4th pull and it will only do it in 4th gear.

I've been told it may be the synchro. Hoping it's not that serious.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
i made the mistake of replacing my stock clutch with another stock clutch. i work in a service shop of a ford dealership and we had one in stock (i was going out of town the next day and needed the car fixed asap). the first time i changed it out the tob melted and the clutch was in terrible shape. that lasted about 800 miles and i grenaded the 2nd stock clutch. the clutch disc shattered and the tob came apart again. while the car was on the second stock clutch the clutch pedal would vibrate very badly. i then replaced it with a spec 3+, new cable, fiore firewall adjuster and quadrant,tob and tob retainer sleeve and the pedal vibration has gone away. the clutch is very smooth.

i forgot to mention this but i actually had the cable replaced twice, and had a firewall and quadrant installed when i had the last clutch installed. i don't think they replaced the tob retainer sleeve though.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
i have to wonder if a quadrant and firewall adjuster would have solved your engagement problems? i guess it doesn't really matter though because the shaking is a bigger problem :(

yea that's so annoying. my pedal would shake with the spec2, but with the frpp clutch just the tob makes noise.

03SVTKB

Established Member
make sure you check the clutch fork. had about the same problems you had; tob went out thought i was the tob retainer.
clutch fork went bad. went ahead and replace with a ford racing tob and the lethal tob retainer sleeve
good luck

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the car has a brand new FRPP TOB and a Lethal Performance TOB retainer sleeve.

So just to recap:

Spec 3+/flywheel and Steeda firewall adjuster/quadrant/cable - 10k old
FRPP TOB, Lethal Performance TOB retainer sleeve, and Pennzoil fluid - >5k old
MGW shifter - >2k old

Problem is still there. Gets stuck at least 1 in 3 times.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
so today, after gettin the bump steer fixed, it gave me the same problem -wouldn't get out of 4th. after about an hour of driving home from the mechanic, and getting on it a few times, it now doesn't get into 3rd or 4th gear at all.

trying to put it into 3rd it grinds and doesn't go in, the same deal with 4th. i let the car cool down tonight and 3rd and 4th still wouldn't work.... drove with 1st, 2nd and 5th and 6th tonight. and when it does go in, you cant get it out, and other times it just gets stuck very close to neutral -and you cant find any gears. i'm pissed as hell, it's one problem after the other with this car. anybody know why it wont go into 3rd or 4th? and to top it off the tob is loud as hell now.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
I just ordered these parts yesterday:

OEM Clutch cable
OEM TOB
OEM Clutch fork
OEM Pilot Bearing
Lethal Performance TOB Retainer Sleeve

I'm lookin to get them installed by a mustang shop next week. Hopefully they tell me my 3rd/4th gear is a clutch issue and nothing more.

Mystic03

Established Member
where did you get your clutch cable for your clutch i cant find any for the length of my powergrip :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread