After Cobra Reck by Body Shop: Have them paint the whole car?

Do you think that I should have my whole car painted

• YES, have them paint the whole car!

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • No, Just paint the areas that are in need of painting.

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters

noslo50

Established Member
I agree with the only paint what you have to, How many paint jobs have you seen last as long as factory paint? Did you ask them how they are going to compensate you for the value depreciation of the car with paintwork(just going off my 93 cobra) the value down the road is affected.

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
I say the whole car... The paint experienced guys are right, However, This is NOT!!!! AN INSURANCE JOB! This is a keep your dealer out of insurance hassles and preserveing the dealers reputation. They should paint the whole car and do the proper body sanding and primering plus instead of taping, they should be taking your panels completely off and spraying them individually. They said they will do it to your satisfaction. That would be the only way that I would be satisfied! Also make sure they spray it with good polyurethane paint not that Maaco sh#t so that you dont have the clear coat flake off in a couple of years!
All in all if a bodyshop did it in this fashion, they would charge around 3000 - 6000 bucks I dont think that is to much to ask.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice...

Notes: They said that any panel with scratch on it they will be taking the whole panel off and painting it off the car...

They even said they are going to take the mirror off the holder to paint it so that no over lapping occurs on the parts you can see when it swivels...

They said that the company where they purchase their paint from and the system they use is one of the best around...didnt get name of them...however...they said the paint is guarenteed for the life of the car...they company that supplies the paint will pay more out of their pocket to replace the paint than as if i was comming of the street and paid for the paint...seems to me that it is good sh!t... :thumbsup: ...

C_Record

Established Member
>>[snip]they said the paint is guarenteed for the life of the car...<<

Geez, I'd be really suspicious of someone who said that. A claim like that is just a selling tactic and doesn't mean the paint will actually last for the life of the car, it just means they'll agree to paint it again(not a good thing) if something happens to it.

It sounds as if you've decided to get the whole car painted. I hope they don't really plan on taking off the hood, fenders and doors to paint them separately. They should all be installed to ensure consistent orange peel over the entire car. (yes, even a good paint job has some orange peel). I wish you luck.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
i am getting a new hood and fenders...look at the other thread at what happened to my car...

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by TopRacer
i am getting a new hood and fenders...look at the other thread at what happened to my car...
I've already seen the pics. It's good you're getting new parts, but when you said they'll be taking off scratched panels and painting them off the car, that doesn't sound like new parts, it sounds as if they're going to check out the whole car prior to an all over paint job. Plus I don't know why they'd need to take off the mirrors and paint them(did they get damaged?). That's usually done if the whole car is getting painted. Just going by what you've written:)

Wayne S

Established Member
Originally posted by rcogs
I've already seen the pics. It's good you're getting new parts, but when you said they'll be taking off scratched panels and painting them off the car, that doesn't sound like new parts, it sounds as if they're going to check out the whole car prior to an all over paint job. Plus I don't know why they'd need to take off the mirrors and paint them(did they get damaged?). That's usually done if the whole car is getting painted. Just going by what you've written:)

think what he is saying about the mirror is they are taking it off because there are new fenders on it
so to help with paint mach up they are blending the paint from fender into the doors

so taking the mirrors off so you dont get a paint line from the tape sounds good to me

like the others have said you only want to paint what needs to be done

its not like a 70s car when there was just paint going over paint
cars these days your painting over the clear coat

and they use a type of bonding agent to help the paint stick to the clear coat (were they need to blend the paint job new into the old

you wouldnt want them to have to do that to the hole car

Last edited:

C_Record

Established Member
I understand potentially having to blend the doors to make the color appear to match, though there should be no need to paint the mirrors. The shape and mounting position of a mirror in relation to the flat vertical door panel eliminates paint match concerns(though their willingness to remove them to blend the doors is a good sign). If the paint is such a bad match that spraying the mirrors is necessary, then the door blends are going to look like hell. Being a bright yellow color like it is, the match >should< be pretty good. I would tell them not to blend the doors unless absolutely necessary. This will depend on the expertise of the painter and his skill in tinting the paint, and how closely the formula matches the original to begin with.

>>and they use a type of bonding agent to help the paint stick to the clear coat (were they need to blend the paint job new into the old<<

I'm familiar with the adhesion products used with blends, but there's certainly no long term guarantee with that stuff. Don't blend if you don't have to. Especially on a daily driver that's left out in the elements.

>>like the others have said you only want to paint what needs to be done <<

Yes, mentioned in my first post:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread