After Cat X-Pipe = A LOT Quieter?

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
I installed Corsa's after cat x-pipe Weds night and since then I've noticed the overall exhaust volume to be much quieter than the factory H. I'm a little skeptical to say the least. The x-pipe is 2.75" continuous and doesn't neck down like the factory pipe. I have stock headers, cats, corsa x-pipe, stock over axle pipes with resonators, ending to Corsa Xtreme axle back. Maybe I just need to get used to the new sound? Anyone else experience a much quieter tone after x-pipe install? This is my DD so deleting the cats isn't an option - thoughts to increase sound?

RioRed4v

Established Member
I have the Lethal/JBA X-pipe with stock cats, JPC over-axle pipes and Corsa Extremes. Not sure what your definition of quiet is, but mine definitely is not quiet lol

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Can you comment on any performance gain?

Exhaust tone has changed - definitely smoother, less blatty, and slightly higher pitched like a NASCAR. Low end torque curve seems to have shifted a little. No before and after dyno numbers. Corsa claims 3+ HP when used with their axle backs. Definitely not enough for the butt dyno to register. Overall it mostly was a tone change - roars above 4K RPM's.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
I have the Lethal/JBA X-pipe with stock cats, JPC over-axle pipes and Corsa Extremes. Not sure what your definition of quiet is, but mine definitely is not quiet lol

Were the over axle pipes difficult to install? I'd like to tackle the shop in my garage, but somehow I think using a lift would be a better choice.

Last edited:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Thanks for the input folks - going to see if the new sound grows on me. If not, then new over axle pipes will be in the works. :burnout:

KonaFifty

Established Member
all your doing with an after cat is simply changing it from an H to an X. They are the same dimensions (basically) except for when they taper. when people say take off the resonators...there is no resonators on the H pipe...the resonators are on the over axle pipes so unless you get over axle pipes you wont be "taking out" the resonators...

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
all your doing with an after cat is simply changing it from an H to an X. They are the same dimensions (basically) except for when they taper. when people say take off the resonators...there is no resonators on the H pipe...the resonators are on the over axle pipes so unless you get over axle pipes you wont be "taking out" the resonators...

Just cut the resonators off and weld a straight piece of pipe on...save a shit ton of money

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Just cut the resonators off and weld a straight piece of pipe on...save a shit ton of money

I had a muffler shop give me a quote - but there's something a little unsettling watching someone take a sawzall to a basically new car. :xpl:

I may just fork out the extra coin and buy the JPC over axle pipes when the time comes. :beer:

Last edited:

curse

I think I have a problem
Established Member
I'm getting a custom exhaust built for me and the exhaust guy had to start the car with only the cats and xpipe installed with nothing behind it. I was shocked to see that this was quieter than my old Mach 1 with flow masters and o/r xpipe.

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
My experience with a Bassani after cat X-pipe is that it is quieter than the stock after-cat h-pipe and eliminated 95% of the popping on decel my GT500 ab's are known for

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
The day I bought my car, I drove it to my favorite muffler shop in Gainesville and had Flowmasters put on.............wasn't loud enough so the very next week, the resonators came off........a week after that I had the Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe installed and LOVE IT!

It's my DD when I don't want to drive my truck. DO IT!! SHE NEEDS TO BE FREE!!!! lol

curse

I think I have a problem
Established Member
The day I bought my car, I drove it to my favorite muffler shop in Gainesville and had Flowmasters put on.............wasn't loud enough so the very next week, the resonators came off........a week after that I had the Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe installed and LOVE IT!

It's my DD when I don't want to drive my truck. DO IT!! SHE NEEDS TO BE FREE!!!! lol

I think some cat deletes are in my very near future as I fear this car will be too quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread