After a week of being under the knife she's back

1stSVT

Established Member
Well I picked her up yesterday and just gave her another bath(it was raining when I picked the car up:cuss: )

They replaced the throw out bearing, clutch pressure plate, CD player, the flywheel and did the latest ECU update.

No more rattling, lunging, and smoother shifting.

Hopefully I won't have anymore problems. My stealership did a great job of being upfront with on the repairs and called me everyday to keep me updated.
DS

M.ageCrazy

Established Member
I think it is great that your "stealership" has been upfront and competent in their relationship with you. I wish the hell I could take mine there. Oh well! The last time I took mine in it was for two problems, they fixed one, claimed they fixed the other problem which involved a buzzing (strange) sound at 2000 rpm's, which I heard the moment the car was started when I picked it up. In fact I drove to the nearest Bestbuy and sat in the parking lot listening to it before I went in. I have never had a new car that required as many warranty repairs as this one and even though I love the way it drives I also feel I have made a huge mistake buying it. And the local "stealerships" don't seem to give a damn.
Now I have to take it back again for the same problem. And I have made no mod's that would effect the warranty and I did not buy it to compete in. It's a drivers car and that is the way I drive it. I am gald you are being treated with the respect you deserve. You did choose the SVT Focus and they should be proud you did.

quivvy

Whaaaaack.....
Established Member
what kinda rattle were u hearing? in the engine? like a rattle u could barely hear when the RPMs dropped or what? explain (out of curiosity, and thats what mines doin). and its from teh enginebay.

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
I got mine back today as well. The replaced the clutch, pressure plate and a few other items. The clutch disengages MUCH closer to the floor now.

It was WAY up top before. Took me a couple minutes to get acquainted with.

1stSVT

Established Member
It was coming from the engine bay. The car would be at idle and it would sound like a pop can with rocks in it. If I pushed in the clutch it would stop. The other sound was if I just rested my foot on the clutch it would make a rattle also.
After they replaced the clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing and the flywheel it stopped. It is smoother also.
The lunging was fixed by the ECU update.

Ricart Ford is the largest stealership in the country, or so they claim, so they should give good service especially with an SVT.
My neighbor is a finance mgr there, so if I have any problems he told me to let him know.:thumbsup: He gave me the x-plan and I also got the 2k rebate when I go tthe car. 18k for it:beer:

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Originally posted by 1stSVT
Well I picked her up yesterday

They replaced the throw out bearing, clutch pressure plate, the flywheel

DS

I am bringing my car in to get the clutch checked out tomorow. I have a feeling mines is going too. It has less than 1300 miles on it.

I am trying to see if anyone makes a steel (no dual Mass) flywheel for our car. Then I will install a Clutch Masters, or Spec Clutch stage 1 clutch in it.

M.ageCrazy

Established Member
I don't know if they make any steel flywheels, but at least one aftermarket parts supplier makes a lightweight aluminum flywheel.

http://focussport.com/flywheel.htm

Check out the link for info. Recently read a report in which the Dual Mass Flywheel on a new 350Z was replaced by a lightweight flywheel and the performance gain was considerable.

Last edited:

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Originally posted by M.ageCrazy
I don't know if they make any steel flywheels, but at least one aftermarket parts supplier makes a lightweight aluminum flywheel.

http://focussport.com/flywheel.htm

Check out the link for info. Recently read a report in which the Dual Mass Flywheel on a new 350Z was replaced by a lightweight flywheel and the performance gain was considerable.

I know all about the alluminum flywheels, but I would rather stick with the dual mass flywheel, than go with a alluminum one.

I have talked to Fidanza, Clutchmasters, Spec, Carolina clutch(who makes a lot of Specs stuff) and know the pros and cons of the alluminum flywheels. Yes there is a performance advantage, but there are some potential noise problems, and I don't want to deal with those problems.

A steel flywheel, with a sprung loaded clutch to me is the best compromise. Iff not I will go with a stage 2 clutch and a stock flywheel.

I don't plan on doing any racing in this car. I want good driveability, which my clutch is lacking.

Last edited:

1stSVT

Established Member
I started to hear the rattle around 2k miles. From there it just started to get progressively worse.

Please explain to me guys they difference b/t our dual mass fly wheel and the ones you are talking about. I'm new to this car stuff (my dad is an alcoholic, he spent his money at the bar not on cars) and I don't know all of the ins and outs. Thanks in advance.

DS:eek:

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Originally posted by 1stSVT
I started to hear the rattle around 2k miles. From there it just started to get progressively worse.

Please explain to me guys they difference b/t our dual mass fly wheel and the ones you are talking about.

DS:eek:

I'll try to expain it

In our cars the flywheel is big heavy and has springs in it. The clutch in our car is solid with no springs in it. The clutch and flywheel setup in most other cars, has a solid flywheel, with a clutch that has springs in it.

Most cars the clutch absorbes the vibrations of the engine and gear box. While on out car the flywheel absorbes the vibration.

Also a dual mass flywheel is heavier than a normall flywheel and takes more power to get moving. I kinda know why Ford put a dual mass flywheel in our car. It is due to the Getrag 6 speed, which have been know to be a little loder than other trans.

There are pros and cons to both types of systems. I really don't have a problem with dual mass flywheels, Corvette Z06's have them. I just feel they are better suited to higher HP rear wheel drive cars. I just wish Ford had given us a little heavier duty clutch with the dual mass flywheel.

quivvy

Whaaaaack.....
Established Member
can someone explain in depth how they noticed this problem and the signs? i hope mine isnt doin it....?

1stSVT

Established Member
Thanks Don:thumbsup:

Quivvy--Not much depth to go into. I would start the car up in the morning and it would make the noise at idle. Push in the clutch and it would go away. Take the clutch out and it was back. I told the stealership that and they said bring it in. 1 week later I have a new clutch pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing. The rattle is now gone. The gears kick in sooner also. Runs much smoother.
I hope that helps.
DS

1stSVT

Established Member
Good question. I really do not know. I would assume they are redesigned b/c the clutch system feels different than before or it might just be the old one was crap in the first place.:shrug:

Are you having similiar probs?

mchedd

Burp - 'scuse me
Established Member
1st..... No problems other than the clutch pedal freeplay is almost non-existant and I'm takin it in for that.....but I only have a little over 10K on my SVTF. I'll ask my tech and see what he says.

1stSVT

Established Member
Before I got mine fixed the clutch would come out pretty far before the gear would engage. Now it engages very quickly into the gear.

mchedd

Burp - 'scuse me
Established Member
Sounds simular to what I'm feeling. When I took delivery, the clutch engaged with just a little bit of release but I was having problems getting into 6th (after crusing in 5th for awhile). Took it in and evidently the tech adjusted the freeplay (or pedal motion) so it would release quicker. I bump this post after consulting with the Tech. Thanks again for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread