After 8 years I want to add a whipple to the Cobra

quad

Established Member
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. I hope you guys are all doing great and still enjoying your cars.

My wife and I bought a great home in a beautiful neighborhood and through all this I held on to the Cobra. It has about 22k miles on it. I've had some fun times with that bad boy and plan on making it more fun! lol!

What with all the new cars coming out making my Cobra seem like it's slow.

So a whipple just may be in it's future. Any ideas on which one to go with? Whipple 2.3, 2.9, 3.4 or 4.0?

I realize this will cost money and can allocate about $6000-$8000 for it. I need new tires as well and probably deep dish rims, a tint job etc. It will also need a CAI (UPR best?), return fuel system, headers and a x-pipe.

I am hoping for 650 rwhp / tq on 91-93. E85 is also an option. Race Gas is too hard to find I know of a few but it limits where you can drive.

I've heard good things about Lidio and will definitely get in touch with him when it's time to tune.

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions on mods, tires, rims etc.

Thanks!

Quad

Last edited:

cobra_mer

Established Member
I'm a little biased but IMO I would go with the 2.9. The 2.3 has to spin pretty hard for 600+; the 3.4 is too big and doesn't really utilize its potential until higher boost 25lbs+. The 2.9 is right in the middle and has great results on our 4.6 with about 18-24#'s. Might be hard to reach 600+ on 93 w/o spraying meth or NO2. E85 will limit your driving mileage as well. I would look into 100 octane unleaded there are a few stations in the area that sell it, lansing, royal oak, and couple other places. To find all the stations that sell it gogle sunoco and go to their fuel finder.

The fuel system you will just need to upgrade injectors to 60lbs and a KB BaP and you will be good to go. I know a lot of ppl say upgrade the fuel system, but if you are looking at a 6-8k budget my suggestion with help you stay in that range wan still be able to support 680+ no problem.

Talk with Lidio, let him know your goals he will steer you in the right direction. He just added BBK LTs, BBK o/r X and tuned it on 100 octane. He told me my fuel system was well within safe operating limits at 688rwhp, with my 60lbers and BaP.

If you want to meet up and see my setup let me know, names Mike. 410-322-6581

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
^^^ what set up do you have ?? 688whp sounds like 2.9 + some race gas ? OP the best blower will be a 2.9 whipple since it can be run at 17-18psi and make great power + you will have room to grow since it can be spun @ 22psi even more but you have stock shortblock I'm assuming? ..Fuel I will go and do it right the first time , 80lb injectors and the 1000hp return kit from lethal and you will never have to look for more fuel ever again .. I went all out returnless to maxed it out on e85 , so if you planning going e85 do return set up ! Driveability , mpg , smoothness, all this comes going return ... Did I also mention that I gained 70whp going E85 :)

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
^^^ what set up do you have ?? 688whp sounds like 2.9 + some race gas ? OP the best blower will be a 2.9 whipple since it can be run at 17-18psi and make great power + you will have room to grow since it can be spun @ 22psi even more but you have stock shortblock I'm assuming? ..Fuel I will go and do it right the first time , 80lb injectors and the 1000hp return kit from lethal and you will never have to look for more fuel ever again .. I went all out returnless to maxed it out on e85 , so if you planning going e85 do return set up ! Driveability , mpg , smoothness, all this comes going return ... Did I also mention that I gained 70whp going E85 :)

Do what he says!! I made the same mistake and went all out on a returnless setup and now I'm going return. Even the Lethal Budget kit would be a great option.:rockon:

With your budget, I'd do a regular 2.9 (you can install a Crusher inlet down the road when budget allows), lethal return fuel system, Mac Lt's with a lethal X pipe. As for a CAI, I would do a JLT but there have been issues with fitment with the 2.9's.

Whipple 2.9 $3900
Lethal Fuel System $900-1700 (depending on which kit)
Mac Ceramic Coated LT and X pipe $705

Keep in mind the prices are all from Lethal's website, call them and they can probably work out a better deal for you.

cobra_mer

Established Member

I have the 2.9 w/ 60# injectors and a BaP; well within limits of injectors and pumps. Just installed BBK LTs and BBK o/r X, Lidio @ alternative auto tuned it on 100octance unleaded fuel; made 688rwhp around 20-21 lbs of boost.

If OP is trying to stay within 6-8k range then the 60# and a BaP would be good route. If you have the cash then overhaul the fuel system, but if you plan on staying in the 650-750 hp range a BaP is a great way to go. But if OP plans on E85 or going higher later on then fuel system upgrade is needed.

If you are interested in hearing my setup search cobramer92 on youtube for my dyno pulls @ Lidio's dyno day this last saturday. If you want to meet up & see my car or go for a ride to see what the setup feels like hit me up anytime names mike, 410-322-6581. :beer:

Ordakow

SVT Poster
Established Member
I work in the auto industry and e85 is going away starting with 2014 model year. I am sure e85 users will be ok for a few years before they see pump locations disapearing. You should have no problem hitting those numbers with a pump gas 2.9 whipple.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I work in the auto industry and e85 is going away starting with 2014 model year. I am sure e85 users will be ok for a few years before they see pump locations disapearing. You should have no problem hitting those numbers with a pump gas 2.9 whipple.

I guess 2014 will be the year of me selling my car ... I won't go back to 93 ever again lol

cobra_mer

Established Member
I guess 2014 will be the year of me selling my car ... I won't go back to 93 ever again lol

Why sell, just go to race fuel or get some 100 octane unleaded. google sunoco and find a dealer in your area that sells the octane you need/want.

quad

Established Member
Why sell, just go to race fuel or get some 100 octane unleaded. google sunoco and find a dealer in your area that sells the octane you need/want.
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Lots of good advice given. The 2.9 will work better with my budget I agree. For the exhaust I really want to stick with Bassani throughout. Postban I think had a full Bassani setup in his Sonic Blue vert and it was nasty.

A friend of mine Andrew had a black termie coupe and I got a chance to drive it with the Whipple on but before it had a return fuel system. It was hesitating at higher rpms which really destroyed the whole accelerating effect even though it was still fast as hell. After he got the fuel system taken care of the problems went away. So I will definitely get that.

quad

Established Member
I have the 2.9 w/ 60# injectors and a BaP; well within limits of injectors and pumps. Just installed BBK LTs and BBK o/r X, Lidio @ alternative auto tuned it on 100octance unleaded fuel; made 688rwhp around 20-21 lbs of boost.

If OP is trying to stay within 6-8k range then the 60# and a BaP would be good route. If you have the cash then overhaul the fuel system, but if you plan on staying in the 650-750 hp range a BaP is a great way to go. But if OP plans on E85 or going higher later on then fuel system upgrade is needed.

If you are interested in hearing my setup search cobramer92 on youtube for my dyno pulls @ Lidio's dyno day this last saturday. If you want to meet up & see my car or go for a ride to see what the setup feels like hit me up anytime names mike, 410-322-6581. :beer:

Thanks Mike I'll check out your pulls and hit you up once I get the Cobra out.

Cobrasized

Proud MCT Member
Established Member
Postban I think had a full Bassani setup in his Sonic Blue vert and it was nasty.

Ahh Postban,

There's a name from the past. Where have all the good ones gone :) :beer:

quad

Established Member
Ok, here's an update on what I have ordered so far:

Wheels & Tires:
FR500 18" Black w/ polished lip wheels
NT555 Nitto Tires 285 rears & 275 fronts

Suspension:
H&R Race Springs

Performance:
Whipple 03-04 Cobra W175ax (2.9L) Supercharger Kit (Black)
Lethal Performance 99-04 4V Budget Return Style Fuel System
Siemen Deka 80lb USCAR High Impedence Injectors (Set of 8)
Kooks 96-04 Mustang 4V 1-3/4" Stainless Steel Longtube Headers (3" Collector)
Kooks 99-04 Cobra 3" Inlet w/3" Tubing 2.5" Outlet Offroad XPipe

I am already at my $8000 limit with these parts. Well, I guess I can't stop now ;)

I plan to order a Full Tilt Boogie IRS kit and an upgraded toe link and bumpsteer kit and camber plates (MM). Also considering a rear cover brace.

I will order a JLT CAI w/ black finish. The black will look nice with the Whipple.

Also considering a 3/8" H&R hubcentric spacer set for the rears.

I have a few questions:

1. Should I consider cooling upgrades (heat exchanger, thermostat, tank)? I will mostly street drive the car.

2. Would you guys recommend Steeda's bumpsteer kit or FTBR?

3. Best cover brace?

4. Are there reputable shops in the area that you guys can recommend to do the installation without breaking the bank?

5. Best shop to tint the windows (Detroit Area)?

6. Best shop to roll the fenders (Detroit Area)?

7. JLT CAI or JLT High Boost CAI? I understand I would need a new MAF for the High Boost CAI.

I can't wait to see the results of these upgrades.

Thanks!

Quad

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
Btw, I contacted a reputable shop a few months ago before I ordered any parts and asked them how much it would cost to get this car to 650 - 700 RWHP. The guy told me $25,000! He said that price would guarantee a reliable 650-700 hp!!

Last edited:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
1. Should I consider cooling upgrades (heat exchanger, thermostat, tank)? I will mostly street drive the car. Yes on the HE, I am using an LFP dual pass,never had a problem. Alot of people don't like LFP b/c they copy. A 160 Thermostat would be a good mod t.o do but not necessary

2. Would you guys recommend Steeda's bumpsteer kit or FTBR? I don't think it is needed

3. Best cover brace? For the diff???? if so Billetflow

4. Are there reputable shops in the area that you guys can recommend to do the installation without breaking the bank? Any place to take it, you will pay $$ for the install. Alernative Auto is who I recommend. Headers are the most difficult job. You can source that install out. Do everything else, have the headers installed at AA and then have Lidio tune if for you when the headers are done

5. Best shop to tint the windows (Detroit Area)? Ameristar in Westland. Just had my Traverse done awesome job and they an authorized dealer for 3M and Lumar. I took my car all the way to St. Clair shores to have it done, average job.

6. Best shop to roll the fenders (Detroit Area)? Dont know. Not a hard job, buy the tool use it then sell it. Don't know of a shop.

7. JLT CAI or JLT High Boost CAI? I understand I would need a new MAF for the High Boost CAI. Just do the RAM air. The CAI is a PITA to deal with.

quad

Established Member
1. Should I consider cooling upgrades (heat exchanger, thermostat, tank)? I will mostly street drive the car. Yes on the HE, I am using an LFP dual pass,never had a problem. Alot of people don't like LFP b/c they copy. A 160 Thermostat would be a good mod t.o do but not necessary

2. Would you guys recommend Steeda's bumpsteer kit or FTBR? I don't think it is needed

3. Best cover brace? For the diff???? if so Billetflow

4. Are there reputable shops in the area that you guys can recommend to do the installation without breaking the bank? Any place to take it, you will pay $$ for the install. Alernative Auto is who I recommend. Headers are the most difficult job. You can source that install out. Do everything else, have the headers installed at AA and then have Lidio tune if for you when the headers are done

5. Best shop to tint the windows (Detroit Area)? Ameristar in Westland. Just had my Traverse done awesome job and they an authorized dealer for 3M and Lumar. I took my car all the way to St. Clair shores to have it done, average job.

6. Best shop to roll the fenders (Detroit Area)? Dont know. Not a hard job, buy the tool use it then sell it. Don't know of a shop.

7. JLT CAI or JLT High Boost CAI? I understand I would need a new MAF for the High Boost CAI. Just do the RAM air. The CAI is a PITA to deal with.
Awesome Mike. Thanks for the tips. I will get in touch soon with Lidio.

My car is still on jack stands since I painted the rear wheel wells with Permatex undercoating 2 months ago and the stuff is taking forever to dry. I have a few fans blowing on the wells. Most of it is dry now and the few stubborn spots I wipe down every now and then. 04Sleeper had the same problem and his took months to dry. Fortunately I don't have to drive the car so I can wait it out. In the future I will probably just spray it with Rustoleum. But it looks good now that it is almost dry.

I also plan on polishing the Bassani Exhaust.

The Kooks headers and return fuel system came today. I will have to wait a few weeks for the Whipple.

I spoke with a guy at Lethal Performance and he recommended the JLT CAI over the RAI. The new CAI design apparently installs much easier than the earlier models. I will do some research on this. The CAI seems to be superior because it is delivering colder air compared to the RAI.

Are you saying you had your Traverse done is Westland by Ameristar and the Cobra done in St Clair Shores and that the results were only average compared to the Ameristar install? St Clair Shores is closer for me.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Good for the new CAI design...it's needed.

I think the MAF restriction is more important than where the air is coming from. I run a RAM into a 110 JLT MAF. I had the CAI and did not care for it nor did I see the hugh benefits form it.

Yes, Cobra done in SCS. Ameristar is an authorize dealer for Lumar and 3M. I do not know the guy who installed the window tint on my Cobra. He was recommended to me. I would be suprised if he was still in business. It is an average install and I am being polite.

IMHO Lumar or 3M is the best tint. You must have an authorized dealer install it to get the back up warranty. Prices are directly related to the amout of warranty given. On the Cobra, I went with 15% on the quarters and rear and 35% on the side windows.

quad

Established Member

I think the MAF restriction is more important than where the air is coming from. I run a RAM into a 110 JLT MAF. I had the CAI and did not care for it nor did I see the hugh benefits form it.

Yes, Cobra done in SCS. Ameristar is an authorize dealer for Lumar and 3M. I do not know the guy who installed the window tint on my Cobra. He was recommended to me. I would be suprised if he was still in business. It is an average install and I am being polite.

IMHO Lumar or 3M is the best tint. You must have an authorized dealer install it to get the back up warranty. Prices are directly related to the amout of warranty given. On the Cobra, I went with 15% on the quarters and rear and 35% on the side windows.

Cool. I am on the fence in getting the Cobra tinted. I don't know if it would look that great on Silver Metallic. If it was black or sonic blue for sure. Though the Black FR500's will help the tint blend in better with the Silver Metallic body.

Your percentages is what I was thinking. I plan to keep the car for a long time so a good, professional tint will be a must.

Cobrasized

Proud MCT Member
Established Member

" and 100% on the windshield" :lol:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Thanks Stan for pointing that out. The ease that he goes into ditches you would think there is double tint on his front window.

BTW Gary,, the American tint nomencalture 100% means that 100% of the light is allowed through, 0% means no light is allowed through. Is that the way it is in the land of ice, snow and blackouts caused by solar storms?

Users who are viewing this thread