AFS polished or chrome?? whats the difference.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Im looking into the AFS 18inch wheels in 18x9 and 18x10.5.

most of them are polished aluminum. they look chromish from the pics on ebay.

anybody have the polished aluminum wheels from AFS...how do they look on the car versus chromies?? whats the quality?

also is it possible to replace the snake center caps that the AFS wheels come with with our stock SVT center caps???

thanks

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I have AFS polished wheels. I can tell you that from 5-10 feet away people can't tell whether or not my wheels are chrome. The finish they have from AFS is very nice! Up close you can see that they are slightly less bright than chrome wheels. Actually, that's what I wanted...I like the look of raw, polished metal as opposed to chrome. On a "bling bling" scale of 10, chrome wheels are a "10"...polished wheels are a 7.5 or 8. Chrome was a little too flashy for me.

By the way...the quality of these wheels is excellent and your factory "SVT" caps work perfectly with them. They aren't any heavier than the stock wheels, either. I think the 10.5"s might be 1.5 lbs heavier than a stock 9" wheel...but that's what I'd expect from a bigger wheel.

Check out the pics of racerat's car (she has polished wheels)...that's what got me hooked on polished wheels in the first place...

http://www.racerats.com/cobra_album/pages/cobra_17.htm

Of course AFS polished wheels are NOT clearcoated. So you either have to polish them regularly or seal them with ZoopSeal. I did the ZoopSeal treatment on my wheels and they look as good as the day I got them a year ago. It pretty much stops the oxidation in its tracks and eliminates the need for periodic polishing.

-Greg

CobraDawg

Established Member
My afs wheels just arrived today- polished, 18x9's, 18x10.5's. The quality is perfect, and mine came from ebay as well. Can't wait to get them on!

The 10.5's are huge! I was planning to run 295's but it almost looks like they would be too small for the wheels..

BO TY KLR

Established Member
If you are lazy like me, get the chrome. If you like polishing wheels, get the polished.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Get the chrome, if not you will wish you did later on down the road. I've never heard anyone say they wish they had got the polished ones instead of chrome.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Problem is, it's hard to find the chrome ones and when you do, they are alot more expensive. You can get the polished for like $700, that's a steal!

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Ive decided on buying the 10.5 in chrome in the rear from www.50resto.com

They have both the replica and actual 03/04 cobra wheels in both colors (silver and chrome) they look better quality than AFS...

i figure...since i decided to drop the car about an inch or so all around...the 17's will be fine. So the 10.5 Chromes will be 235 a piece from 50resto.com and then i will have my 2 stock rims to replace the front rims if they get nicked or whatever.

I think ill be happier with the chrome...id almost feel like downgrading since Chrome wasnt available without a cost until 04 and i have them stock. why waste them?

Thanks for your replys.

Users who are viewing this thread