AFS 10.5" Rear Wheel and LFP 3/8" Hub Centric Spacer Wobble Fix

Comp281

Established Member
My Dad and I drove our cars to a show recently and he noticed my rear wheels were wobbling while we were driving along side each other. He actually had me pull over so we could check that the drive home would be safe.

When I got home we removed the AFS 18x10.5 rear wheels and LFP 3/8" hub centric spacers and took a closer look at everything.

The spacers were perfectly flush when placed onto the hub so that was not an issue. When we looked at where the spacers meet the back of the AFS wheels, there was a slight clearance issue.

The spacers have a little shoulder at the center for strength.

686F4CAC-1E20-482D-80F5-C47E6F72FB92_zpsomplgp9b.jpg

This shoulder was not allowing the flat 3/8" thick disk part of the spacer to lay perfectly flat against the back of the wheel. It was only a slight bit of play when I pushed them to the back of the wheel. But any play at all in this case can be very bad.

I didn't want to mess with the spacer since the shoulder is there for a good reason. So I used a small half round file to carefully create a little clearance on the wheels.

F96CD0FC-8111-4E2B-8C1B-EACE5E3E4642_zps7oltgqik.jpg

It took about 20 minutes of filing and checking and now the spacers are completely flat against the wheel.

Before filing:
08CA70B5-9E22-43A8-9A43-057433769823_zpswkcrknng.jpg

After filing:
ED3915E2-B571-4A79-844F-46ED2610BD80_zpsl7c1qima.jpg

I wanted to point this out because I know people have had issues with this exact setup in the past. Most people resort to a non hub centric spacer which fixes the problem but puts all the stress on the studs. I think this solution might be better.

I hope this helps those of you who have had issues with this or may be getting a similar setup at some point.

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Wise and typical for a machinist but definitely good to note for those that wouldn't do this. I purchased just 3/8 spacers but decided against them since they were not hub-centric like you have. Please post pic's once installed i have the same rear rims and lowered about 3/4-1" and thought i might have the rear time rub the fender well with these spacers.

Comp281

Established Member
I'll post pics over the weekend. I have BFG 315 30 18 drag radials. So far they rubbed once when I was driving on a road that had a series of repetitive dips and the car got into the right rhythm for them to get close enough to make contact. It was slight and didn't damage the tire. I'm on H&R race springs with all the isos in place. Fenders are not rolled.

sigbrown1297

Established Member
Anybody else have issues with the LFP 3/8 hub centric spacer kit with the AFS wheels? Thinking about running the same setup. Spoke to mark at LFP and he wasn't aware of any issues but said that he would make a change to the design if needed. This is specific to the AFS 10.5 reps

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
I had no issues with the LFP 3/8 hub centric spacer kit and AFS 10.5 wheels on my terminator. Ran that setup for a couple years. I do recall the spacers were snug in the wheels, though. When I would take the wheels off, the spacers often would stay in the wheel.

sigbrown1297

Established Member
I had no issues with the LFP 3/8 hub centric spacer kit and AFS 10.5 wheels on my terminator. Ran that setup for a couple years. I do recall the spacers were snug in the wheels, though. When I would take the wheels off, the spacers often would stay in the wheel.

i don't mind being snug. Just as long as they sit flush against the hub and wheel so theres no wobble. No issues with the extended reach nuts? i've read that they are cheap and recommending to get some higher quality nuts that won't strip.

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
Lug nuts were fine. I would compare them to the OEM lug nut quality. As long as they are torqued correctly, I don't see that they would strip.

sigbrown1297

Established Member
got my LFP spacers in today. The spacer will not fit flush against the back of rim. Looks like the chamber/angle is too large. Anybody else have problems with the LFP spacer with the AFS rim?

Comp281

Established Member
I've owned multiple Cobras with this wheel/spacer combo and it was always an issue for me. That's why I did this write up. I'd suggest just filing until they sit flush. Then you have nothing to worry about. And for the lug nuts, always put them on by hand and torque them properly. I never had a problem. People have issues when they over tighten them. Especially using impact tools. I'd stay away from those with the extended lug nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread