AED 100 Octane Tune is done..I love it..my clutch hates it.

FiveSlow

Established Member
The car is a novi 2200sl with full supporting mods, wastegate, 50mm bov, 3.33", just under 10psi max boost... Ect ect. M6 3.31 gear, rear tires are 305 555r's, 27.6" tall...

Ok the car is insane! It feels like a monster compared to when I ran a 11.1 @ 130.5mph... First and second just light up, by 3rd they get hot and sticky. Then my clutch slips. Then is grabs. Hit 4th, clutch slips, then grabs.

I love my new tune, my clutch hates me. Now I'm ordering a new one so I can get back to the track for number:cryying:

mhyjek

Established Member
With your wastegate setup did you use the 100" greenbelt if yes did you have to move the idler 1 spot? I just got one with no instructions are there any writeups on here been looking but haven't seen any. Thanks

FiveSlow

Established Member
I used the 100" HD gates green belt and I'm pretty sure I went 2 holes over. I tried just going 1 but couldn't get the belt over the last pulley no matter how hard I tried..so I went another hole over and all is good.

mhyjek

Established Member
Thanks! What 100 octane gas are you using? What was your previous et/mph before tune and wastegate?

FiveSlow

Established Member
1.7 60' 11.3 @ 125 heat soaked very safe 93 tune on the stock pulley. Went to the gate and smaller pulley on same safe 93 tune and went 1.9 60' 11.1 @ 130.5 just roasting first gear (full tank of 100). Now it's tuned on the Sunoco GT2 100 octane, have a few local pumps that sell race gas. It's a monster now. Clutch was perfectly fine before. Now it's slipping.

Based off the butt dyno from it going 125 to 130 mph.. That's about the difference it feels now and it was 98% humidity out today...I'd bet the car does every bit of 135mph if not better.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Slightly OT but do you know how much timing was in your 93 tune vs the 100 octane tune?

FiveSlow

Established Member
Slightly OT but do you know how much timing was in your 93 tune vs the 100 octane tune?
The 93 is set to 15* max timing, very low and very safe. The 100 is set to 21 but the gas is so good I can advance to 23 or pull timing as I need to. I won't be going over 21 though. It's a bit more aggressive which is what I asked for.

Sounds awesome! Now for some better tires & the "Driver Mod"! Lol!
Haha yes. I can drive the car no doubt, it's my tires. I'm traction limited and the nittos are not a track tire. I was going to buy slicks and skinniest but now I need a new clutch.

FiveSlow

Established Member
My car has 23,000 miles on it, supporting mods for the M6. JPC clutch line, dot 4, white line insert, Barton 2 post bracket, royal purple fluids all around.. My question is do I have to replace the slave and pilot bearing. I understand the pilot because it's $10 but the slave should be fine. Why should I spend the $160 on an aftermarket one or even a new oem one. My car isn't abused and I've only launched it a few times with dr's at the track. The clutch has always been fine until my new tune on race gas. It's simply making to much power now.

I'm thinking a spec stage 3+ with the exedy lightweight flywheel. I'm thinking about the spec billet steel flywheel since it's $110 cheaper than the exedy but it's not lighter nor does it have the cooling fans machined into it. Is the extra $110 worth going to a chromoly lightened flywheel?? Looking to go as cheap as possible because I need the money for slicks and skinnies.

FiveSlow

Established Member
That's out of budget. I'm looking at $400 for the spec and $250 for a billet flywheel minus 6% free ship no tax. I don't need a twin disk. The Cobra guys with KB swaps run this setup without issues so even though I'm slightly heavier I don't make the instant TQ.. It has to be better than stock, mine had been great so I'm only looking for a slight improvement. I think spec can deliver based of the research. I'd like the RTX but it's overkill.

FiveSlow

Established Member
My main question is the slave. Why would it need to be replaced at 23,000 miles when I've never really launched the car nor do I beat on it.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Get the RXT with light steel flywheel. You will be dissapointed with anything else. Trust me on this.
This is 100% accurate. I have had spec stage 3s, ram, etc. My mcleod twin disk is the best mod I have done to the damned car.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
That's out of budget. I'm looking at $400 for the spec and $250 for a billet flywheel minus 6% free ship no tax. I don't need a twin disk. The Cobra guys with KB swaps run this setup without issues so even though I'm slightly heavier I don't make the instant TQ.. It has to be better than stock, mine had been great so I'm only looking for a slight improvement. I think spec can deliver based of the research. I'd like the RTX but it's overkill.
Have you not seen the pictures of the spec clutch disks completely breaking in half? If your going to do something then do it right. But then again its your money.
My main question is the slave. Why would it need to be replaced at 23,000 miles when I've never really launched the car nor do I beat on it.
You should be ok with your slave cylinder or just getting a new oem one.

FiveSlow

Established Member
Have you not seen the pictures of the spec clutch disks completely breaking in half? If your going to do something then do it right. But then again its your money.

You should be ok with your slave cylinder or just getting a new oem one.

I never heard of it exploding, a lot of cobra guys went to this when the kb swaps was the thing to do. I'm guessing that was before the rxt came out. I don't need a 1000hp clutch just am upgrade over stock.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Get the RXT with light steel flywheel. You will be dissapointed with anything else. Trust me on this.

thirded! i have the RXT and lightened steel flywheel. awesome combo. ill be out at the track on my ET radial pros tomorrow. ill let you know how it holds up to the abuse.

jakhammer

Established Member
I have 11k on my slave and its getting the boot. If im doing it im doing it all. IMHO its cheap insurance. But to each their own. And like you I could not justify the price of a Mcleod. I went excedy. But Im NA with basic bolt ons.

Users who are viewing this thread