Advise for HD truck

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I am looking to buy a Supercharged HD. Wanted a Lightning but I am 6'6" and I now own a C/C F250 and can't handle the regular cab. Is there any difference between the 02 and 03 other than the 100 aniv badging? Also, what upsize tires do you recommend on stock wheels and what suspension mods work best (lowering-handling, etc). Also want to upgrade to big brakes. Any recommendations? Want to keep it stock-motor wise for warranty purposes but I also want to drive it occasionally (and moderately) around the road coarse at Homestead and Moroso HPDE events.
I now have the F250 and a Supercharged Mach 1 and I'm looking to consolidate into one vehicle that will do it all. I know it won't track like the Mustang but I still want an extreme fun factor vehicle.
I appreciate any imput you have.

airtroop01

Established Member
The differences between the 02 and the 03 are the 100th anniversary badging, the decal option on the exterior, the option for a rear slider, a black coated intake and blower. Other than that, the trucks are identical. Horsepower is the same.

If you were going to stay with stock wheels, 295 40 20, or 295 45 20's fit well. I have 295 45 20, and I think I might go to the 40 series eventually to get a better drop on the truck.

Suspension kits... pretty much anything that the L can use, so can the HD.
I have a Hotchkis TVS suspension and that helped the ride out quite a bit. However, I think eventually I'll try upgrading to Stan (Ruslow's) 1100 or 1200 lb front springs which should stiffen the front end as well as give me the little extra drop I've been looking for. If you can afford to go all out, there's a Watts link setup out there for these trucks. For my budget, I think Stan's panhard bar is also in my future.

Brakes, most people end up just upgrading the pads and sticking some barely improved rotors on there. I didn't like going that path so, I went to TCE for Wilwood brakes. They're 13" and beefy and haul the truck down well. He's also got a 15" big brake kit coming out soon which should really help these big trucks stop. You can go Brembo or StopTech, but it'll cost you a lot more.

I know you intend to keep the motor stock, but, I'd recommend a ported blower, a 6lb lower, a cold air kit, and a tuner (SCT or Diablo). It'll wake the truck up and you'll be a lot happier.

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
Hey thanks, that is some great info. I have been reading that alot of people change their pulleys. How much power difference does that make and will that void the warranty?
Can you e-mail me some photos of your truck-I would appreciate it. ([email protected]) Do you take your truck to the track (road coarse)? If so, how do the upgraded brakes handle the weight and the heat? Also, do you have the links or webs for the suspension parts (Stans)? Thanks again.

Super10lbz

Established Member
heres a picture of a black 02 with no stripe on the side, few tasteful mods and locally for sale in south florida!
IMG_3611.JPG

Super10lbz

Established Member
Sorry no GN... LOL
02 32k miles, 4 # lower, custom tune from james RWTD with predator, magnaflow side exit exhaust, column boost guage, K&N cold air, tint, hard bed cover, lightning tails, silver stars fogs and head lights,belltech 2 inch drop in rear, real clean truck, insides a 10 and outside is a 9,5, real small ding in front of hood and typical road rash on front bumper from the 32k miles. I am extremely anal with my cars. Ill say $25,500, but open to your offer.
Plus the truck is faster than the GN anyways :p

Last edited:

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I'll pm you in the next few days so I can come and see it. What part of S.FL are you in?

Roush2960

Established Member
question for airtroop01

Where did you get your front grille's at. I am in the middle of converting my wifes Expid to a Harley look. I just installed the Front bumper and have been trying to find aluminum grille like what you have on your truck. Any info would be greatly appericated.

Matt

airtroop01

Established Member
Roush2960 said:
question for airtroop01

Where did you get your front grille's at. I am in the middle of converting my wifes Expid to a Harley look. I just installed the Front bumper and have been trying to find aluminum grille like what you have on your truck. Any info would be greatly appericated.

Matt

Hey Matt -
The main upper grill is a standard Harley F150 part.
The lower grill is from j-jent. http://www.j-jent.com/

Users who are viewing this thread