Advise and Info needed!

Kobiyashi

I posted a while back on Stangnet talking about getting my new 2004 SVT Cobra about a month ago; and just wanted to say hi here also. I was "told" by the wife I couldn't touch [modify] the Cobra until after my old car sold. (2003 420HP WRX); well it looks like the day is finally here and I have a few questions for you to help me. I'm new in general to domestics, so don't be do harsh =P.

I was wanting some information on how these cars take to mods (and in which order are best accepted) I did all the work on my WRX myself, including local UTEC, Haltech, and Ecutek tuning; so I'm more than familiar with the normal ends and outs. With that out of the way my questions are as follows:

1) I plan on modding in three stages as cash allows. First, ~$2000, followed by another ~$2000 next month, then $4000-$6000 in early spring for a blower swap or the such, to finish up the bolt ons; then possibly moving into more as the summer comes around next year. What would be the best upgrades for each step (in your opinion) as far as performance (power only, no suspension work) to do; and why.

2) I've read up a decent bit on pulley swaps, and was wondering which offered the best performance without a vast occurance of slip, or over spinning the blower; as well as a safe amount for daily use on the motor. Also, should it just be upper, or lower as well, please include belt size if you can.

3) I'm always looking for the best gains in exhuast systems, but I've heard the Stingers (the best from my readings for a catback I believe), when coupled with an X-Pipe leave a lot to be desired with sound. I plan on running a catless system (if possible for noise; and not ungodly and show better gains than with cats, I can pass inspection just fine) What is the best setup as far as HP #'s have been proven, do you have to go Longtube to remove the precats or do they sell "race pipes" as with the JDM,etc to replace them. I've also heard of Mid-Length headers, what are these? X or H? I know the sound is a personal preferance as well, so if a lot of brands give the same results, any links to sound clips would be appretiated.

4) As with number 3, I'm looking for the best Intake system that allows growth in the future, as with the blower swap. Any Ideas?

5) Looking for you to throw me a few numbers here. Was wondering what WHP the stock fuel runs dry at? What boost is safe for a daily drive?, What WHP the rear end is more than likely to go at?, and What is the normal timing up top with that safe boost level?

6) To finish it, a question on engine management. I've seen the Pred; and have to say its quite lacking in most regards, Are there any other piggyback or flashing systems that give better mapping and load sites? With the UTEC systems for the WRX, 250rpm X 1psi was the load grid, so going from that much in detail on timing, fuel, and boost (not a factor here though); seems like its going to hurt; or is it best to get a custom EPROM flash tune from a tuner as far as tables are concerned.

7) Oh yeah one more thing, EGT and WB02 sensor locations, where is best? Any Cyl run leaner than the rest for mounting? Obviously with no Cats using a stock bung would be fine for the WB but if I have to keep the pre-cats for nosie issues, where can I place a bung with ease of access.

<EDIT> I've also seen the stock modified boost gauge good for 15/16 psi but can't find it anywhere; or where to order the new backsplash, any help on this would be appretiated as well

I apologize for the long post, and I'm sure searching harder might uncover some of the answers [I know I know] but I'm looking for a large amount of opinions, so feedback will be greatly appretiated; the more detail the better.

Regards,

-kobi

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Rather than go through everything here, take some time and start doing searches for your information. Find Doug at BilletFlow. He will answer just about all your tuning and pulley questions...and his stuff is fantastic. There are tons of available tunes out there...and the EEC processor is something that you will fall in love with. It's the best out there bar none.

Welcome to the club! American iron baby...you just can't beat it.

By the way, spend the money on this that you spent on your WRX and you are going to have a ride you can't believe...and it will outlive it too.

Users who are viewing this thread