Advice/suggestions needed!

Toast21

Established Member
Long story short I have a stock 13k Mile cobra that I’m shooting for 800-900rwhp on the stock shortblock. Need suggestions on what additional parts to upgrade l

Currently have
Vmp gen 3 / gt500 tb
Lethal 1200 return system for e85 w/ id1050 & fore rails
Arh 1 7/8 to 3” X and bassani 3” catback
Arp head studs w cometic gaskets
26 spline input shaft w/ new flywheel & McLeod twin disk
Mmr head cooling mod
Afco exchanger w bigger tank

It’s my first time doing a project this extensive and I’m sure I’m overlooking some things. Engine and trans already out the car. Am I missing something? IRS and halfshafts will be upgraded once this is all done.

I’m swapping heads since I blew a plug out with the factory 4 thread heads. I have mach 1 heads that are 9 thread heads. Should I swap everything over from my low mileage heads to the Mach heads? (Valves, cams, etc)
They’ve been sitting for 2 years, will take them to machine shop to have them cleaned up. What else should I replace/upgrade while the engine is out?

I plan on getting all new gaskets, pilot bearing, tob, firewall adjuster, etc

The only thing that seems challenging to me right now is getting the timing back to spec once I get the heads back

Plan on running e85 full time and spinning the vmp to 24lbs+

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Setting the timing is easy. Just match dots to links

Unless your using adjustable

Only thing I noticed is when reading it says set left side. At 1 o’clock

Left side is drivers side when looking at front of motor

Toast21

Established Member
Ok, just disassembled everything, taking the heads to the shop tomorrow. I didn’t disassemble the heads though, I left the cams in with the secondary chains & sprockets still attached.

Once I get the shop to transfer everything over from one set of heads to the other, it should then be just as simple as matching the timing chain links to the dots correct?

I also read that cam sprocket bolts may be re-usable while others say they are TTY and I should get new ones. Should I just order some arp bolts or am I fine reusing them? Never thought bolts would be so pricey lol

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I would use the ARP cam sprocket bolts.
A reused stock bolt leaves a good chance of breaking and if it does your gonna wipe out a good portion of your motor. With the rwhp you’re after the ARP cam bolts would be cheap insurance.

Ken

Toast21

Established Member
I would use the ARP cam sprocket bolts.
A reused stock bolt leaves a good chance of breaking and if it does your gonna wipe out a good portion of your motor. With the rwhp you’re after the ARP cam bolts would be cheap insurance.

Ken

New cam bolts it is. Might do cams in the future so at least they are re-usable.

Toast21

Established Member
Anyone know if they make these little gaskets for the timing chain tensioners?

Not mine but my pass side looks just like this one

1ce1fea706b478f1e89b57e43744c68f.png

Searched everywhere but couldn’t find anything

01yellercobra

Established Member
They don't make them. You have to get new tensioners. Just pick up a pair of steel tensioners.

Toast21

Established Member
Just ordering the little parts I need now, as far as trans goes I have a 26 spline shaft, new pilot bearing, Throwout bearing, resurfaced flywheel, McLeod twin disk.

How do I know if the tob sleeve & the pivot ball are still good? Visual inspection or is it just standard to replace when doing a clutch job?

Users who are viewing this thread