Advice on Tires

dkscobra2003

Flying For A Living
Established Member
Looking at picking up some tires for the Shelby....

Here is what I am looking at:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
(Read a few reviews, and peaked my interest)

or

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT.
(I've had these before liked them a lot)

Who has the best deal on Tires? Discount or Tirerack...or anyone else out there.

Chime in, looking to put my Alcoa Super Snakes on the car.
20x9 Front
20x10 Rear

Thanks in advance.

NickF1011

Established Member
Don't know if they come in the sizes you'd need, but I've been very pleased with the Bridgestone Potenza SO2's I have on mine. As long as tread life isn't much of a concern for you, they are really sticky. If you want them to last awhile, the g-Force T/As are never a horrible option.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I've always been a fan of Nitto's, had them on the Cobra and my F150. I have them on my Notch and my F350.

dkscobra2003

Flying For A Living
Established Member
Don't know if they come in the sizes you'd need, but I've been very pleased with the Bridgestone Potenza SO2's I have on mine. As long as tread life isn't much of a concern for you, they are really sticky. If you want them to last awhile, the g-Force T/As are never a horrible option.

I'll have to do some research on the Bridgestones. I am wanting a good treadwear rating along with wet traction.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Bfg kdwII on the M. Dive deep into the twisties and grab like nobodies business. Hankook v12 on the P per Almos recommendation. Same characteristics as the BFG.

Discount tire has always beat the rack.

dkscobra2003

Flying For A Living
Established Member
Bfg kdwII on the M. Dive deep into the twisties and grab like nobodies business. Hankook v12 on the P per Almos recommendation. Same characteristics as the BFG.

Discount tire has always beat the rack.

Thanks Scott, I will check out those other tires. I will have to catch up with you guys on a cruise...if you don't mind a simple Shelby in the pack. =)

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Darryl/Scott, do you find the KDW NT noisy? Got big ones on my wife's Focus and she can't wait to replace them because of the noise.
And isn't the Continental ExtremeContact DWS kinda like a snow tire? You gonna be driving this year round? Wouldn't the DW be a better choice for dry traction?

Just FYI, when I'm not on my BFG R1s, I ride on Falken Azenis RT-615K. OK, but not great.
But in my opinion, if you want the stickiest street tire, and don't mind burning through them fast, go with the Toyo Proxes series. RA1 or 888, both have a treadwear of 100, work great on the street, and are the spec racing tire for American Iron. Toyo Race Tires from Phils Tire Service

Oh, and you can have my used R1s at the end of the season, but you'll have to streatch them a bit to fit your wheels. :D

Last edited:

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Don't dd Toyo 888s. They are really loud. Driving out to Summit and a couple of Bull RUns, they are loud. Equivalent to a nobby off-road tire. BFGs no sound at all in my opinion.

...and I had to bale on a run when the rain started. The 888s were greasy slicks when the rain was coming down in buckets.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have to say that the BFG KDW may be a decent tire for those that have never used a track tire, but when I used mine on the track I was disappointed to the point that I gave up getting any decent time. They squirm all over the place. IMO they are a rain only tire.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Tire Rack usually has good deals but you can also wheel and deal with the local suppliers. Baxter Tire in Pasadena always matches online prices and was really careful not f'ing up my rims

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
True nuff, the 888s are not as good in the wet as the RA-1's. They're my track rain tire since I can't afford Hoosier radial wets (lust).
Didn't notice either were loud, but my car's a bit noisier than your P.

Users who are viewing this thread