Advice on removing C-clips from axle shafts

schef

Established Member
I'm trying to remove the C-clips off of the axle shafts. Everyone says that they should fall off after I take the 3 inch steel pin between the middle of the axle shafts out. However, they are not falling off whatsoever...any help? Thanks

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
schef said:
I'm trying to remove the C-clips off of the axle shafts. Everyone says that they should fall off after I take the 3 inch steel pin between the middle of the axle shafts out. However, they are not falling off whatsoever...any help? Thanks
Magnet

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
schef said:

Have you tapped the axles inward toward the center of the car?

R

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
After taking the the pin out be sure to push the axle inwards...the C-clips should drop out with the aid of a screwdriver.

schef

Established Member
Thanks guys, I finally got them both out. In order to clean the housing of all of the metal shavings and shrapnel, if I just tilted the car and sprayed 4 or 5 bottles of brake clean in it, would that be sufficient?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
schef said:
Thanks guys, I finally got them both out. In order to clean the housing of all of the metal shavings and shrapnel, if I just tilted the car and sprayed 4 or 5 bottles of brake clean in it, would that be sufficient?

If there are shavings and shrapnel in your diff. it is in the bearings, positraction unit, etc. basically anywhere the fluid went when the diff. was working. To clean all debris out, it will most likely need a complete disassembly if you want it to last once it is reassembled. This would also give you a chance to inspect all internal parts.

R

Last edited:

schef

Established Member
Robert M said:
If there are shavings and shrapnel in your diff. it is in the bearings, positraction unit, etc. basically anywhere the fluid went when the diff. was working. To clean all debris out, it will most likely need a complete disassembly if you want it to last once it is reassembled. This would also give you a chance to inspect all internal parts.

R
The axle shaft snapped, that's where the shavings came from

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
schef said:
The axle shaft snapped, that's where the shavings came from

If the diff. has not been run with the shavings, yes I would just use some sort of cleaner, like you mentioned brake cleaner, etc.

R

Users who are viewing this thread