Advice on Buying a Notchback

verbal

Established Member
I have been looking at notchbacks for a while now with the intent of stripping the car and putting in a new motor and IRS. I decided to buy a 4cyl because I would probably be scrapping most of the car. Well I found one on Ebay this past weekend that looked like its body was in good shape and was told by the seller that it "ran great". I bid and won, paying $1000. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering what I have seen other 4cyl and 5.0 liter notchback selling for.

Anyways, I drove about 5 hours to get it and was planning on driving it back based on the seller telling me that it was road worthy. I got there and the body was in pretty good shape so I decided to buy it and left with it. No more than 40 miles into the trip a seal blew on the motor and smoke started pouring out. I managed to drive it back to my hotel and park it. I called the seller and he agreed to come get it but could not get it until this evening. We agreed that he would either refund my money or have someone deliver it to me. I am still waiting to hear if the car can be delivered.

My question is, is it worth going through everything for the price of the car? I already have about $1200 invested in the car from the price of the car plus traveling. Is it worth putting a couple hundred more dollars in to have it delivered? I could care less about anything wrong mechanically with the car but it will probably need a new door because the inside base of the door is rusted out and will need some minor rust repair in some other areas. I have no idea what the frame and floor look like but the body is straight and there are not dents. It also appeared to drive straight. Also the car has a canvas roof and I have no idea what the condition of the roof is like underneath.

Should I just eat the cost of traveling and hope that I get my money back from the seller or continue with the deal and get it delivered?

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
How good is good shape to you? I bought my 93 Reef Blue Notch 4 cyl for $1k as well but it was local and the only thing wrong with it was the paint being a little rough and the driver's side seat bolster was torn up. If you turn it down now you are loosing money regardless, so IMO if you think the car is worth it, then keep it. It's hard to find fox mustangs in good shape for cheap nowadays, no matter if it is a 4 cyl or 5.0.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
At this point, bite the bullet and take the car. Hope fore the best: If it turns out worse than you thought then get it running and resell it to try to get some money back. Next time, do a more thorough inspection (like checking the canvas top for signs of rust and inspecting the frame/ floor). Seems like you might find a decent roller for $1000 or spend a little more for something you know is solid.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Canvas roof? is the car a convertible?

I dunno if I would pay $1000 for a 4 cylinder fox with a rusted out door, let alone a convertible.

I payed $800 for my coupe when it was a 4 cylinder.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
yeah, canvas roof?

Depends on if you want fuel injection or carbed? You should be able to find a 5.0 car with no motor for $1k or less and those usually have some things done to them already, like gears and such.

Users who are viewing this thread