Advice on a portable room cooler/AC

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a portable room cooler for my house. Specifically the issue I have is the master bedroom/bathroom and walk in closet. In my house I have an arched walk way going into the master bath room, they are connected without a door. In my bathroom I have a small separated room with the toilet. (if that's hard to understand, think small room in bathroom). I also have a large walk in closet that does have a door, but no AC vent. The issue I have is cooling ventilation. The ceiling is arched, I have 3 AC vents, one in the bedroom, one in the toilet room and one in the bathroom. Here in the southwest my master bedroom doesn't cool down like the rest of the house. It gets worse after showing because it creates humility in the rooms and it takes hours for it too cool down. So I'm looking for options to cool down the master bedroom. What I'm looking at are portable room coolers like this.

Shop De'Longhi 10000 BTU Portable Room Air Conditioner at Lowes.com

The idea is to run the portable room cooler while we are showering or extreme heat during the evening hours to cool the room down. This will not be ran all the time, just a for about an hour or less depending upon the necessity. I like the idea of this because I can retain the windows in my house versus a small window unit. Thoughts? Experience with different units?

Thanks!

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a couple of those portable AC units.
If you get one make sure there is a window right where you want to use it. You MUST run a 4" flexible exhaust vent out the window.
And you MUST check the drain pan under the portable AC for condensation. And it sound like you might have to do it every hour.

Both the ones I have I bought used and they are 12K units. And they cool about the same amount even though they are different brands. But they do not cool as well as a 10K window mounted unit. The only way they do any good is if you have the air blowing right on you. They never produce enough cool air to cool an open space. I got them to use in an office I had where the AC would always go out on the hottest days. Kept them in a closet until needed.

Fuerza

Established Member
A small window unit might be more cost effective, the only issue I have is that we have wooden shudders on our windows so running the power cable will be an eye sore. In the same scenario the tubing for the portable will be and issue too.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Forget the portables. Innefficient, condensate fills too quickly, and expensive. Cut a hole in the wall and get a proper sleeved unit.

Users who are viewing this thread