Advice on a backup gun

393f150

Established Member
Hey guys,
I have been trying to figure out which gun I want to purchase. I've talked to several other officers and each person has his own idea on which gun is better. I was initially leaning towards a glock 30 since our service issue is a G21. I like the idea of being able to swap mags and thus not have to carry any extra mags for the g30. The downfall is the size and weight of the g30. I thought I had my mind made up and then I went to buy the gun. The gun store was sold out. I started chatting and he handed me a Taurus 38 special. That thing is tiny and light, the 357mag is another choice I’m looking into. I was looking to see what some of you veteran officers used. What are your opinions on revolvers vs. semi autos? Size and weight vs. caliber. What are some of you guys using? I want to use a vest holster on the street and an belt/undershirt holster when I am off duty. Thanks for any input.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
We Texas state troopers carry the Sig Sauer 226, sweet! I have two off duty weapons the Glock 22 and the Glock 27, both are 40 cal. The sub-compact can fit in your pocket, its light and has a nine round magazine, plenty of fire power.

Personally, I would not use a wheel gun as a backup weapon, not enough rounds. Of course the old saying is "one is all you need," yeah, if your John Wayne. I don't think anyone would want to contend with reloading in a fire fight.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
Our dept issues sig P220 which is too big for anything other than duty carry. I bought a Glock 27 for a backup/off duty weapon. Could be just a bit smaller but i wanted a larged (.40) caliber. It fits well on your ankle and actually holds more rounds than our sig which only holds 8 WITH one in the chamber.

txyaloo

Established Member
I really like the Glock 27 for a concealment rig coupled with a Fist Secret System 2 IWB.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/22.htm

As long as you don't have a gut, it puts the gun in a perfect location and does not print. Even moved off to the side somewhat, it's easy to reach and comfortable to wear.

I prefer to have something inside my waistband or in a pocket versus in an ankle holster. In my opinion, going down on a knee like that just screams, "I'm going for a gun". If you have to identify yourself as a police officer, I think having the firearm closer to the hand, or in the hand before doing so, is a much better choice. As for an undershirt holster, think of the steps you need to take to reach the weapon. You have to tear off your outer shirt which may not be a fast process. They look cool in theory, but for anything except deep cover, they seem less than practical.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
I have and carry a Kahr PM40- smaller and a lot thinner than the Glock 27. do a google search on Kahr firearms. .357 revolver for a backup? Unless you are very skilled- you won't hit squat and the kick is terrible. 38 Revolver -good choice for reliability- Glock 27 is better and IMHO Kahr is best and smallest. PM and I will show it to you in person and let you compare.

I know your Dept, very, very, well and you have enough gear to weigh you down quite a bit. I would not add a heavy backup to it. All you want of a backup is a gun you fire with a foot or two of perp...Otherwise you won't need it. I will say this SCMPD's armorers are among the best out there...You want something they can work on if necessary.

It sounds like you are new the Dept- did they give you a Gen 1 or new Gen 3 Glock?

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
...What are your opinions on revolvers vs. semi autos? Size and weight vs. caliber. What are some of you guys using?...

Each type of pistol will have their own strengths and weaknesses (semiauto Vs revolver). I personally went with a semiauto (for mag capacity reasons).
A few guys still use a small wheelgun (for ease of concealment purposes).

Size/weight - depends on what you are comfortable with carrying. I love my G27 (IWB carry, DeSantis holster).

Caliber - anything .380 or higher (per my dept policy).

The magazine interchangability of a back up pistol and duty pistol can be very advantageous (who wouldn't love to have quick access to two spare mags for their back up gun right there on their duty belt when their primary pistol gets knocked out of the fight?).

There's also the issue of where to carry it on your body and the type of holster to use. This is definitely a personal choice, but I'm in favor of keeping it close to your hip/torso/chest (drawing purposes, weapons retention purposes, etc). You will have to figure out which holster works best for your back up gun and where to carry it on your person - try carrying in different locations for yourself to see what you are most comfortable with.

Keep in mind, your choices will most likely be guided (aka: limited) by your department firearms policy. As always, make sure you follow it to avoid any legal issues should you have to put that back up pistol to work while on the job.

Bottom line is to practice with whatever style pistol you choose - practice drawing with it from its holster. Practice shooting with it on a regular basis.

G'luck! :beer:

393f150

Established Member
I have and carry a Kahr PM40- smaller and a lot thinner than the Glock 27. do a google search on Kahr firearms. .357 revolver for a backup? Unless you are very skilled- you won't hit squat and the kick is terrible. 38 Revolver -good choice for reliability- Glock 27 is better and IMHO Kahr is best and smallest. PM and I will show it to you in person and let you compare.

I know your Dept, very, very, well and you have enough gear to weigh you down quite a bit. I would not add a heavy backup to it. All you want of a backup is a gun you fire with a foot or two of perp...Otherwise you won't need it. I will say this SCMPD's armorers are among the best out there...You want something they can work on if necessary.

It sounds like you are new the Dept- did they give you a Gen 1 or new Gen 3 Glock?

Yea i'm new(recruit). I was hired back in June. As long as I do not do anything stupid, I should graduate BLET friday. Then its on to in house training. As far as my G21 I think its actually a gen 2. Sgt. Cortez is an amazing guy, I have alot of respect for him as does everyone else in our class.
How do you PM on this forum? I know its probably staring at me in the face but I cannot figure it out.

Thanks for all the replies. I had planned on carrying it in a vest holster. I do like that Fist Secret System. Alot of current/veteran officers recomended the G30. They told me the ability to swap mags and stay in the fight is why they chose it. Just as many though recommended a light/small revolver. They argue that a backup is just to withdraw from the fight or get a better tactical postion. They also told me the g30 will be havy and cumbersome and If I don;t wear it all the time whats the point of having it.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Sgt Cortez is as fine an officer as I know and I can say you are learning from the best. Ask him about his military background. He is also one of the best shooters in this area...expert in all types of weapons....not just limited to firearms either.

I carry G-29,10mm, as primary..it's the same size as G-30 and it's a big gun - Your Black Talon ammo is just "ok" as long as you hit flesh..but as far a penetrating a car door...it has little penetration.

Although the clip issue is nice..My Kahr will fit in my front pocket..Suit jacket inside pocket..but clips are limited to 6 rounds and one in chamber.

mkb116

Established Member
S&W Airweight. Very Light, Very easy to carry. Only 5 shots. Good price.

My opinion is this. Unless I absolutely have to get involved, I'm staying out. If I do get involved, its going to be a very close quarters battle. If I have to push the barrel up of my revolver, against my opponents throat, to save my life... I'm going to do it. Off duty I'm not looking to protect any property, only someones life.

I will also be purchasing a Glock 27 with the high capacity mags for off duty in the near future. For those times when I would feel safer with more rounds and an extra mag. For instance a long trip, or camping.

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
S&W Airweight. Very Light, Very easy to carry. Only 5 shots. Good price.

My opinion is this. Unless I absolutely have to get involved, I'm staying out. If I do get involved, its going to be a very close quarters battle. If I have to push the barrel up of my revolver, against my opponents throat, to save my life... I'm going to do it. Off duty I'm not looking to protect any property, only someones life.

I will also be purchasing a Glock 27 with the high capacity mags for off duty in the near future. For those times when I would feel safer with more rounds and an extra mag. For instance a long trip, or camping.

Maybe I'm completely stupid but is a situation like that going to EVER present itself? I've done a lot of reactionary gap training and the neck thing seems out of place. Was it exaggeration for affect?

jshen

Established Member
Will such a "neck thing" ever play out? I can tell you over the last 36 years, I have had heard of other officers in my dept and here...having to fight over control of their gun, the gun of another, or in one case being pinned down and beaten with his own kel-light where the only thing he could get to was an ankle gun and shot perp point blank through side & heart before officer passed out from head injuries. Perhaps better training now has helped..but from first hand experience nothing is worse than fighting over your own gun trying to be pulled by a perp...In my case backup officer about took perps head off with nightstick..

FiaCobra

Established Member
Tough question but....a backup gun is to be used when the duty weapon is out of commission, right? With all the crap you have to carry, an additional gun also adds to the weight. With that in mind, i'd recommend a small lightweight hammerless revolver. You can have it inside your shirt and attached to your vest on your weak side. It'll be tucked under the arm of the weak hand for a strong arm draw. Ankle rigs serve a purpose but are too far out or reach if you're standing/walking/running. An ankle rig is good for a 3rd gun or for when you're seated in a car.

For off duty carry, I recommend you stick to the Glock platform. Hiding a G30 on your body isn't hard to do at all.

Remember, different guns for different situations.
On duty: G21 + lightweight revolver
Off Duty: G30

Remember, whatever system you go with, practice, practice, practice, and practice some more !!!

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
Tough question but....a backup gun is to be used when the duty weapon is out of commission, right? With all the crap you have to carry, an additional gun also adds to the weight. With that in mind, i'd recommend a small lightweight hammerless revolver. You can have it inside your shirt and attached to your vest on your weak side. It'll be tucked under the arm of the weak hand for a strong arm draw. Ankle rigs serve a purpose but are too far out or reach if you're standing/walking/running. An ankle rig is good for a 3rd gun or for when you're seated in a car.

For off duty carry, I recommend you stick to the Glock platform. Hiding a G30 on your body isn't hard to do at all.

Remember, different guns for different situations.
On duty: G21 + lightweight revolver
Off Duty: G30

...and to those who think you can't reload a revolver quickly, I offer this.
YouTube - Ridiculous Revolver Skill

Remember, whatever system you go with, practice, practice, practice, and practice some more !!!

if everyone would like him, then yeah!

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
The guy with the revolver banging out the rounds ZERO relationship to real world police work. That is praticed motion time and time again inorder to get that speed, under perfect conditions with no stress.

Have him do that after fighting with someone for 3 to 4 minutes, and the person is shooting back at him.

As for the OP....

P3AT or Glock 27

FiaCobra

Established Member
Guys, the video was shown to prove that a revolver can be reloaded quickly. I'm not expecting him to do that while chasing a guy 4 blocks while being shot at.

How quickly can you fellas reload a semi auto? How about identifying and clearing a malfunction?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Guys, the video was shown to prove that a revolver can be reloaded quickly. I'm not expecting him to do that while chasing a guy 4 blocks while being shot at.

How quickly can you fellas reload a semi auto? How about identifying and clearing a malfunction?

We practice clearing malfunctions and reloading a semi auto is rapid as hell. That is always part of our qualifying.

Users who are viewing this thread