Advice needed

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
Hey guys I have this friend of mine who doesn't have internet access, so I am posting for him. He has a 2003 Mustang Cobra, and the car has 11,7xx miles on it.

The other night he was out doing burnouts in it, and after he got done, the clutch started slipping real bad, to the point where he could stop a stoplight and the car wouldn't go dead if the clutch wasn't mashed in.

He called Ford up to bring the car in to have the clutch serviced, but he is asking for advice. Would Ford still warranty the clutch, (I heard something about them warrantying it up to 12000 miles). If not, how much would they charge to replace his clutch in his Cobra? His car is stock, except for a K & N FIPK. The car is due to go in on Wednesday. What should he do, and what are his options?

Thanks

Flooznie

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
With that many miles on the car, they may call it a normal wear item and not warrenty it. Also, if he plans on taking it to the shop, after doing burnouts, make sure no rubber is present in the wheelwells and rear 1/4's. A dead give away. And I would go to HONO ford instead of Windward. Just my $.02........

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
So if he did end up having to pay for it, how much would something like this cost?

Flooznie

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
No luck for him. Now, if the wear on the clutch was caused by a sleeve/TOB issue, then he might have a chance.

Oh well, time for the input shaft/viper clutch upgrade. :thumbsup:

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
So, how much is he looking to pay for this? Granted, he realizes he was not very bright.

Flooznie

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Flooznie
So, how much is he looking to pay for this? Granted, he realizes he was not very bright.

Flooznie

For a stock clutch, $600 or so installed at the dealer. Doing this will ensure they replace any cruddy parts under warranty (like the sleeve). Doing this also gives him a fighting chance they might be nice and do it for free so long as he doesn't say he was doing smokey burnouts with it.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Normal wear at 12k miles? I think they will cover it, I've seen posts where it was covered on cars around 30k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread