advice needed on an intercooler purchase

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
Ok. My car is at RET to get my tune done correctly once and for all. They did my initial pull to see what the last tune did for me. They showed 380hp. I was told I was tuned to 420hp by my last tuner. He saw my timing was around 9s. He adjusted and tuned it safely. He got me to 450hp. Then after he did another pull. I was at 380hp. He then checked my iet temps and I was somewhere above 150degrees and greg said my car is pulling timing because I am running so hot. He recommended an intercooler which is something I have been wanting to get for some time for engine safety (maybe for a little more juice as well). Paxton sells there air to air for $1550. Should I just purchase there air to air for that price or should I go another route like the snow kit (methanal I think), or should I wait to buy a used one that is not made specifically for my car. I had to get a boost a pump in conjunction w/my aviator. Greg said my aviator was maxing at 6200 rpms. He said the boost a pump will be fine up to 500hp or something. Oh yeah I just bought my new nitto extremes. I am happy I have grip again. Anyway I just wanted your guy's opinions. Thanks.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the paxton cooler, although its works quite well for me, is considered a pos. the fit is not very good and its kind of an awkward design.

Id get either a procharger one, a fasttrack, or a ebay one, and get custom piping. Keep in mind you will need a better bypass with the intercooled setup.

bouncer18

Established Member
procharger 3 core's are nice....

i have whatever hellion uses and it does the job

UCBeau

I have a BTI kit. it's decent..fitment is okay but they located the bypass way too close to the TB and that's kind of a big deal, so I'm not too sure whats up with that. I paid something like 1400 bucks for my kit, and it looks pretty neat. does a good job on the temps too, but i lose about 2 psi of boost.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
I might have to just by the damn intercooler and be done w/it. I am going to fork up 2k for the intercooler, racing bypass valve, boost pipe, extra flange, plus $350 for install. Ouch. Not cool. But can you really put a price on a more efficient and safe car. Maybe. Let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah I looked at other intercooler companies recommended by you guys and the prices were not significantly different. I do trust paxton and I like the fact that I would buy a product that fits my supercharger I have now.

Users who are viewing this thread