Advice needed. Getting a used '13 GT.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I'm going to look at a used base 2013 GT with the track pack and 15K miles. He took it to a track day event and said the only issue he had was getting it into gear during shifts in the corners, which I guess is an issue with these transmissions? It has exhaust, from midpipe back, a few appearance mods and LCA, UCA, Panhard bar, Bama tune and MGW shifter. Asking $26500. Thoughts? Anything I should look for when I get there? I basically have to drive 5 hours one way with check in hand and hope it's everything I expect when I get there.
Thanks in advance for your help. :rockon:

Deranged2013

Established Member
Trans would be my main worry. If he can't get it into gear on cornering, the trans may be on its way out. Shifting isn't the greatest at 7000+ rpms on the MT-82, but it will go. With a new shifter and a clutch line upgrade, most people don't have a problem. I still have the stock shifter and I can still get through the gears at 7500 rpms.

NickSezz

Established Member
I'm going to look at a used base 2013 GT with the track pack and 15K miles. He took it to a track day event and said the only issue he had was getting it into gear during shifts in the corners, which I guess is an issue with these transmissions? It has exhaust, from midpipe back, a few appearance mods and LCA, UCA, Panhard bar, Bama tune and MGW shifter. Asking $26500. Thoughts? Anything I should look for when I get there? I basically have to drive 5 hours one way with check in hand and hope it's everything I expect when I get there.
Thanks in advance for your help. :rockon:

The shifting issue in corners is a typical problem with the MT82 transmission on the new Mustangs and is solved by 2011-2014 Mustang Transmission Bushing Insert - JDM Engineering

The modifications already done are ones that definitely improve the rear suspension and overall handling characteristics of the car. I would just suggest a different tune :coolman: and make sure you get the SCT tuner if you purchase the car. Price seems to be fair. Definitely test drive it though.

:beer:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Cool. Thanks. Forgot about the clutch line upgrade. I read somewhere about people using different motor and tranny mounts also to help with the shifting. I'm going to throw mods at it anyways so I'm not afraid of working on my car. I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, which is always an issue when buying used from a private seller.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Thanks Nick. That's exactly what I was reading about. Definitely going to pick that up. And he said the Bama tune came with the SCT tuner. So hopefully I can get a custom dyno tune with SCT or something like that. I assume that's what your talking about. That's what I did with my '03 and my Diablosport anyways.

Last edited:

NickSezz

Established Member
Thanks Nick. That's exactly what I was reading about. Definitely going to pick that up. And he said the Bama tune came with the SCT tuner. So hopefully I can get a custom dyno tune with SCT or something like that. I assume that's what your talking about. That's what I did with my '03 and my Diablosport anyways.

No problem. You can use that SCT tuner to upload and down load e-mail tunes from us or any other vendor on here. You can also use that tuner to have your car dyno tuned at any shop who is SCT certified.

kingnut

Established Member
With the UCA and LCA its gonna have some extra noise. I would drive it slow and fast with the radio off. Make sure you get all the stock parts if you buy it. I guess with the exhaust it might cover up any added NVH anyway.

clean92lx

Established Member
I wouldn't drive five hours to buy a car that the owner admits is having trans issues and has trans mods so no warranty but that me. It's not like your searching for a clean fox body, these cars are still a dime a dozen, find another one IMO

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Honestly man, I'd go find a deal on a '13 that is still sitting on the lot. You can get a brand new unmodded car for a little more than he is asking, and you have the peace of mind nothing has been beaten on outside of your own doing.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Damn. Now I'm second guessing myself. It's just that I'm looking for a black or DIB M6 with track pack and recaro's. Plus the mod's he has already, CDC and Roush grill inserts, exhaust, tune, SVE wheels, MGW, etc are all exactly what I would do. Plus I get all stock parts, Brembo wheels (don't really know what they are called) and tires included. The tranny issue was shifting at high RPM's while cornering. Which was apparently improved with the MGW, steel line for the clutch and Redline fluid. I guess this can be further improved with the tranny mounts suggested above.
I understand what your saying about a new car that's not been abused and still has a warranty but I won't be able to keep from modding and ruining the warranty anyways. The only thing I feel that needs done to this car is lowering springs and a chin spoiler and I'm done. Well until tax time then I'll be looking at blowers.
Either way, thanks for all your suggestions and I"m really looking forward to reading and posting more in this section. My tired old 4.6 is due for some rest from it's DD duty and I'll finally be able to get it's engine rebuilt and spin that little 1.7 KB to it's max. LOL. Still probably won't be able to keep up with the '13.

clean92lx

Established Member
If your dead set on that car, then use the tranny issue as a way to negotiate as much as you can off his asking price and IF it becomes a problem just replace it with something stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread