Advice Needed - Control Arm/Lower Ball Joint

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
Okay... so I replaced my struts and alternator this weekend, and while installing the new struts I noticed the ball joint on the passenger side pretty much just fell through the control arm.:eek: A little history... about 3-4 months ago, I changed my springs out and noticed that pass. side ball joint was quite loose and the housing was pretty tore up. So, I replaced it and thought I got it pressed in there pretty well, but apparently not...

My question is, I contacted my mechanic and he says he would try a new ball joint and see if it stayed in correctly, or maybe the control arm is warped. He quoted like $315 for just the ball joint replacement. So, looking at Tousley Ford, I found a control arm for $120. How bad is the install on a control arm? I wouldn't think it would be any harder than doing just the ball joint... What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Ironhand

Banned
A control arm is pretty simple. Disconnect the balljoint and leave everything hanging off the strut and pop the two bolts out of the K member. Put the new one in with the spring in the right place then grab a beer. Its so easy even a caveman can do it.

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
A control arm is pretty simple. Disconnect the balljoint and leave everything hanging off the strut and pop the two bolts out of the K member. Put the new one in with the spring in the right place then grab a beer. Its so easy even a caveman can do it.

Nice. Since this is my daily... should I worry about my wheel falling off until I get the control arm replaced?

Ironhand

Banned
Nice. Since this is my daily... should I worry about my wheel falling off until I get the control arm replaced?

Your wheel wont actually fall off. The knuckle is connected to the strut but the control arm is what holds it in place. Just be easy going over bumps and get it replaced as soon as you can. If your motor was knocking you wouldnt be beating the daylights out of it all day long kinda thing. Be wise and Steve at Tousley is a great guy and can get a new one to you extremely fast.

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
Bad news. Got new control arm from Tousley. Install went fine up until I had to put the castle nut back on the ball joint stud. Well it doesn't fit at all. Went to parts store and brought back an assortment of castle nuts and all were too small. Can't even thread 1/16th of an inch on the stud. Broke down and went back to parts store and grabbed a moog ball joint and press. PITA. One f'ing nut stopped the whole thing going smooth.. Unless I'm retarded and doing something wrong... The castle nut goes on a tiny tiny bit on the stud and trying to tighten just spins the stud. Tried hammering the knuckle onto the ball joint, but there doesn't seem to be any tapered edge on the ball joint. Well... any tips would be great. I'm going to go hammer out the ball joint that came with the control arm and put this Moog one in. Castle nut goes on smooth as silk on this one...
:fm:

Users who are viewing this thread