AdvanceTrac / ESC

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
This happened to me yesterday and I am trying to figure out what I did wrong. Anyway, flame away and hopefully I will get some good input.

I regularly turn my AdvanceTrac / ESC off by pressing the button for 5-8 seconds and pressing the brake simultaneously and yesterday a car cut me off, causing me to do a 180 in the middle of a four lane road.

Temperature was about 70 F with 81% humidity. Tires have 10K miles on them and I was going about 45 mph heading east. This guy just all of a sudden decides to move his car from the right lane into mine, the left lane. I swerved and as soon as I swerved left my rear end went right and I as I was heading towards a curb I swerved right and at that point I did a 180 and was pointing west in the east bound lane. My Shelby stalled and I stopped traffic, thank goodness no one was coming from the west during all of this.

I am still trying to figure out what happened. I believe I may have quarter/half throttled it as I swerved left to miss this guy and pass him (should have just braked and let him have the lane) and lost it then but I just can't remember. Anyway, I learned to be a lot more selective when turning off the ESC and Traction Control. I highly discourage turning it off in traffic because although I can't remember exactly how much throttle I gave it, I believe I was not at half throttle or more (I am making an educated guess because if I gave it more throttle I doubt I would've saved it.)

BTW I am pretty confident behind the wheel and can get a car to do about anything but this scared the living hell out of me and am posting this to try to figure out what I did wrong, if anything or if it is just the nature of this beast. I can tell you that I hate these F1 tires.

cjgt500

Established Member
Not sure if this is specific to '12's but I thought '11's have it as well. With brake on, engine running depress TC button twice. Should set it to Advance Trac Sport Mode. It will let you get it sideways to a point, spin the tires, etc. but still take over if it gets too out of hand.

LostPony

Established Member
I will make my best educated guess and say that giving it throttle caused the spin. More than likely you got into some debris out of the normal traffic lane which would lessen the amount of traction available, and may also have been a contributing factor.

Glad you came through it okay. And just a word to the wise on stability control systems, they can not defeat the laws of physics. All cars play by those rules. No amount of computer nanny wizardry can take the place of attentive driving when behind the wheel. (Not saying or accusing the OP of not paying attention, just wanted to add that tidbit of info)

megameGT500

Established Member
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

glad you and the car are alright! :rockon:

Yes it has Sport Mode and some terrible judgement on my part just ignored it. I don't now.

Not sure if this is specific to '12's but I thought '11's have it as well. With brake on, engine running depress TC button twice. Should set it to Advance Trac Sport Mode. It will let you get it sideways to a point, spin the tires, etc. but still take over if it gets too out of hand.

Thanks for the words.

Did not think about debris outside the normal traffic lane. I know sometimes that area gets a little 'gravel build-up."

As far as the stability control systems, I believe it would've helped, at least a little, had I enabled them. I believe (someone please correct me if you know) one of the features controls the brakes and another controls the engine. Combine the two and you have a car that will brake quicker and adjust the engine throttle to increase chance of recovery, if the driver looses it. If I did hit a gravel spot swerving, I agree, I am not sure how much it would've helped but I would like to think it might have helped a little.

The throttle part is definitely correct, I just can't remember how much. Like I said originally, if I gave it more throttle than half I doubt I would've saved it.

I will make my best educated guess and say that giving it throttle caused the spin. More than likely you got into some debris out of the normal traffic lane which would lessen the amount of traction available, and may also have been a contributing factor.

Glad you came through it okay. And just a word to the wise on stability control systems, they can not defeat the laws of physics. All cars play by those rules. No amount of computer nanny wizardry can take the place of attentive driving when behind the wheel. (Not saying or accusing the OP of not paying attention, just wanted to add that tidbit of info)

megameGT500

Established Member
LOL. Did not know what R Compound tire were. Now I do. Thanks.

FiveSpeed

Established Member
I'm without AdvanceTrac/ESC whether I want it or not. Every time it rains the damn light comes on and disables the whole system. I've had two speed sensors replaced. The car is going back in tomorrow morning...

On a brighter note the car definitely feels more stable in every way with it on.

megameGT500

Established Member
She does feel very stable when it is on. But when it is off and if you do something she doesn't like, she can make you pay for it. Hope they get it right. Update when you get a chance.

I'm without AdvanceTrac/ESC whether I want it or not. Every time it rains the damn light comes on and disables the whole system. I've had two speed sensors replaced. The car is going back in tomorrow morning...

On a brighter note the car definitely feels more stable in every way with it on.

Thanks. Be careful out there with it turned off. You can loose it very quickly.
ya mine is tuned off too but atleast ur ok coulda ended way worse

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread