Advance Track issues and Idle Surge. Coincidental or Related?

Sielmo

Established Member
I recently installed cams and PAC springs which require a significant motor tear down to include pulling the brake boost pump and master cylinder. I then did the three step system bleed (manual, ABS electronic, manual) and had no Advanced Track issues for a week before having issues again. The Advanced Track Service warning will come on at random and not every time. It’s been to the dealer a few times and the ABS control module and HCU have been replaced (under warranty-whew!) but the problem persists, at random. Ford Techs (hot line) are involved and we’ve even looked/adjusted the brake pedal switch as its influential in the ABS system and so far, still investigating. (also checked the G 101 cable, all tight). To note, I did not do anything special when reinstalling and refilling the power steering system other than turn the wheel left and right while engine running (Power Steering Control Module causing issues?..its linked with the ABS system).

Another issue is that I am working with the tuner who makes these cams to address a significant idle surge when the car is coasting (clutch in-driving in traffic for example and coming to a stop) but stops when the car is fully stopped. The grill air filter dam is blocked (as recommended by the tuner) to keep turbulent air from influencing the MAF yet idle surge gets worse the longer the coast even at very low speeds (10-15mph)

Both the tuner and Ford mention that these systems shouldn’t be related. BCM for the ABS/Advanced Track, and the PCM for the idle/tune refinement, however I wonder if this is absolutely true as my idle surge ceases immediately when the car is fully stopped (wheel sensors influencing somehow?). Reflecting back a few months ago after finishing some dyno pulls, I was driving home when the Advanced Track Warning light came on, and then the rest of my warning lights (engine fault, “yellow wrench” light) followed with the cars complete shut down. A restart and all was fine. I was told that sometimes the ABS system gets confused (with only two wheels spinning) and this will happen.

So, why am I addressing both these issues? If both systems are independent, why did my car shut down due to an ABS issue a few months ago? This leads my skepticism that there is not some sort of linkage between the two therefore my questions:

Could there be a link between my idle issue and this persistent Advanced Traction warning?

Is there a specific procedure in bleeding the power steering system as it influences the ABS system?

Thank you for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread