Advance trac issues after installing drag radials??

CMG

Established Member
I had MT ET street radial IIs on my 2011 about 3 years ago with no issues. I just installed the new MT ET street SSs. Even though they were both 305 35 19s the new SSs are visually larger on the rim and I realize both are taller than OE tire.
My car now randomly applies rear brakes and sometimes separately ABS activates under just normal driving conditions(not aggressive). If I turn off advancetrac (not just traction control) the issue goes away.
Anyone else have this issue? I know I can just turn off or maybe have it "tuned" off but doesn't make sense that it didn't do it before??

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
what pressures are you running them at? I had an issue on 20psi where the sidewall was just to soft and was getting issues especially when turning.

Joewee500

Established Member
I'm swappI got on some MT ss and they are a bit taller and wider than the Nt05r they are replacing. I run 21 lbs cold on mine. Of course I have an ancient 08. How do the ss feel?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
If tire revs per mile are off far enough from what the PCM thinks it should be according to what is programmed in the tune, I have seen it cause an ABS light and disable Traction Control in my '08 (with a previous tune). Is your speedometer way off? If you are intent on running the MT SSs full time, I would purchase a custom tune that will allow you to correct axle ratio and revs per mile.

CMG

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I think the 2011 with advance trac is a little different. I have 35 psi in them right now. Just trying to see how good they could feel on highway. They are still a little squirrel y. About like the ET street IIs. It has a VMP SCT tune so I plan to go in and adjust tires size later. It was just odd I didnt have issue before but maybe these are slightly taller than the previous version. I have an old and new MT catalog at work and I meant to compare dims today and forgot.

CMG

Established Member
35psi just for highway testing but Yes...Just when turning...dangerous on long sweeping exit ramps. My back brakes would grabb and then release upsetting the car quite a bit.

fullboogie

Established Member
Interesting. I've got an '07, and I've accidentally run my car for several hundred miles with 5.40's programmed into the tune on a set of 3.73's, and there were no issues at all. Issue was a miscue on the tune, and I eventually tweaked it on the Xcal.

If tire revs per mile are off far enough from what the PCM thinks it should be according to what is programmed in the tune, I have seen it cause an ABS light and disable Traction Control in my '08 (with a previous tune). Is your speedometer way off? If you are intent on running the MT SSs full time, I would purchase a custom tune that will allow you to correct axle ratio and revs per mile.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Its assuming factory tire size to calculate wheel speed. Too big a difference in wheel speeds will cause it to freak out. There is an allowable percentage in difference to take wear into account.

@CMG What size tires do you have up front?

fullboogie

Established Member
Its assuming factory tire size to calculate wheel speed. Too big a difference in wheel speeds will cause it to freak out. There is an allowable percentage in difference to take wear into account.

@CMG What size tires do you have up front?

It's a two year old thread. I'm sure he's solved it or moved on by now.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
I had a similar issue. I had to put into AdvanceTrac Sport mode for it to stop. And I reduced the PSI down to somewhere in the 22-27 psi range. Then after a while something settled and I don’t need to do it anymore. But I still do for safety sake.

Users who are viewing this thread