Adult ADD

760-MPH

Established Member
What did you say?

Yes I'm on a small rx and it helps tremendously when I remember to take it.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
ADD is an excuse for lazy people or parents who don't really give a damn.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
My wife manages a houseful of individuals with intellectual disorders. Many of them are adults with various disorders including ADD. Medicines do help.

As for the comment about ADD not being real, the fact is it is very real, but honestly is over diagnosed. There are kids and adults who have been diagnosed improperly. But just because people are over diagnosed/medicated doesn't mean some people actually are.

Posted via Topify on Android

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I have it. I don't take meds. It takes all the fun out of everything. I actually like it. I can easily amuse myself when im bored and can figure out ways to entertain myself with random thiyngs. High school was great. I would zone out all the time and day dream. My senior year I "zoned out" but apparently was staring right at the girl accross my my seats tits for at least a minute. Thats about the only time I ever regretted it, because if im going to create an ackward situation, I might as well have been staring at her tits rather than day dreaming about cars.

Last edited:

CM5878

Established Member
Well I suffer from anxiety and depression and now Im being told I may have adult ADD as well. Im unable tomfocus on simple tasks, ignore detailed situations and Im either going 5000 mph or 0.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
don't take the meds!!!

you need to find something to do. one thing or ten things but do something... if you can avoid the meds your life WILL be better.

edit:
i'll take ADD no med wife over the ADD medicated version any day of the week.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
while ADD MIGhT be over diagnosed, I seriously doubt you have the education or the skill set to make this comment in anything but uneducated ignorance.

svtaddict

Established Member
i constantly have to keep myself busy either with cars or fixing something around the house. my coworkers say im an over achiever but its just that i cant work slow its grueling for me to work slow. i just keep myself busy. sucky thing is anytime im working on a project or have a problem with one and i have to wait on a part or something i get stressed out and stuff. i just ordered some wheel spacers yesterday and ive checked the tracking number like 10 times already. thats all i end up thinking about.its either im totally spaced out or 1,000,000 percent focused.

o2gt

Established Member
agree i would be very interested to hear were he was medically trained. i believe that add and adhd might be over diagnosed, but to lump all people into one group and call them lazy tells me he is not informed. I to had views on people with mental heath issues, and i came to find out i was wrong and and not informed. some people need help and i think they should get it. I have battled my own demons primarily alcohol. I have found that with some good old fashion self determination and some professional help things can get better. I was recently prescribed an add medication in order to reduce anxiety. thus far it has been successful. the the OP if you think you need some help find a doctor and talk to them. if they decide to give you something, i recommend you way the pros and cons and decide if you really believe you need it, and are comfortable taking it. then make the call. best of luck

josh

hb712

Established Member

That's just dumb. I'm not lazy, have an exceptionally high IQ, and have managed my symptoms to allow myself to be very successful in one of the most demanding graduate programs around. Keep ignorance out of a thread like this.

OP, I have been diagnosed with ADHD. I refuse to take medication because it dulls my mind. Yes, meds can help with focus, but there is a cost. I have found that I can control the majority of my symptoms through conscious effort - some would say I "man up." I can't help but keep myself busy, but that's not the trick, anyone can do that. You have to find a control method that works for you.

A couple things that help me:
-I find a logic problem in anything I can. I love solving problems and it forces me to pay attention.
-I can be obsessive about other's grammar and often find it easier to pay attention to slides, cases, etc... when I am actively reading/editing the document.
-I allow my focus to wander in order to soak up every detail I can. It satisfies the portion of my mind which finds it difficult to pay attention to a specific (read: boring) thing and further satisfies the portion which wants to analyze every detail. When I analyze all the details, I often find I have focused on the topic at an acceptable level. *Warning, do not try this method if there are attractive females within view. You will only analyze all of their awesome details.

Meds may help you, but I would suggest actively looking for an additional method to help.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
while ADD MIGhT be over diagnosed, I seriously doubt you have the education or the skill set to make this comment in anything but uneducated ignorance.
ohsnap.gif

Deric

Established Member
What classifies as ADD anyway? I've never read about it or heard much about it. I can't focus on most things that I don't consider "fun" but I've always assumed that to be a normal part of being human. I doubt I listened to a full sentence in any of my classes my senior year of HS.

full m3tal

Established Member

Definatley an ignorant comment. However, there are many angles to ADD/ADHD, and meds is not always the answer. Like posted above, people find ways to cope or overcome ADD without the assitance of medications. And, there are plenty of people that literally need the pills to function, regardless of what some think on here. It all depends on the individual, and just because one person takes meds and it works, or someone else says they have it but "overcomes" it…….doesn't mean it will work for you. It could take months, or longer talking with doctors to practice techniques to help solve your problem. Or trying different meds and evaluating how you function, feel, side effects, etc to find the right regime.

I do think it's over diagnosed though. People claiming they have ADD, or actually thinking they do when they don't, which leads to comments like the one quoted.

steeltoe

Established Member
I was dignosed with ADHD/ADD when I was 4 and I can tell you that its is a very real thing and meds make a world of difference. I've been off the meds since I was 18 (I'm 29)and honestly I should probably still be taking them. How much and which one(s) you take is a conversation for you and your doc. There are non medicial ways to control ADD and a few of my friends they that with there kids and they say it works.

If you think you have it you need to do your research and talk to a doc.

Sage2k

Established Member

I used to be the type of person that thought ANY daily meds were bad and should be avoided. Why would I want to poison my body?

Nowadays I figure that if I can take something that improves my life, why not? We have medicine and technology for a reason, so I want to reap the benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread